Cat pee

Feb. 11, 2010, 2:38 p.m.

I have a wonderful six year old cat named Carrot. Here is Carrot. She is awesome:

Unfortunately, I'm now living in Comox at the base, and my GF will not be joining me until June 2011. She is down in Victoria at our house with the cat, and two dogs.

Recently, the cat has taken to occasionally peeing in the laundry basket, or in the bathtub. We keep her litter box quite clean (daily scooping), but for some reason she's decided that sometimes she doesn't want to use the litter box. She's on a dry food diet, and has been since I got her, and I have recently heard about how dry cat food can cause crystals to build up in their kidneys, making it painful when they pee. This in turn makes them associate their litter box with pain, so they go to pee elsewhere. Apparently wet food keeps this from happening?

At the same time, we got our malamute a year and a half ago, plus I left home in Sept (I go back on weekends). This may have caused some stress to the cat as well, although she's always been fine with me going away in the summer before (leaving her with a roommate). She tolerates Freyja (the big dog), but I wouldn't say they get along, although Carrot sleeps in our bed and the dog has her crate at night, so she does have a fair bit of time without getting chased around having her ass sniffed. So maybe it's stress related?

Anyone else have a cat that's been through this? Solutions, other than feeding her to the big dog?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 11, 2010, 2:50 p.m.

did you try teh wet cat food yet ?

i would also recommend you take teh cat to a vet for a checkup…

our vet put my cat on a wet food diet, with 10 crunchy dry bits of cat food per feeding (just for dental care)

hope this helps. you dont want your car sufferin do you ??

Feb. 11, 2010, 3:04 p.m.

did you try teh wet cat food yet ?

i would also recommend you take teh cat to a vet for a checkup…

our vet put my cat on a wet food diet, with 10 crunchy dry bits of cat food per feeding (just for dental care)

hope this helps. you dont want your car sufferin do you ??

Haven't tried the wet food yet, it's only happened half a dozen times in the last few months, so I'm not sure it's a big problem yet.

The boss called me today though and told me that she was going to drown my cat if she persisted on peeing on the laundry. So this weekend I'm going to look at options, including the wet food. I think a vet checkup is in order though, at the very least it wouldn't hurt.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 11, 2010, 3:11 p.m.

Move the laundry basket into a closet and bleach the sh*t out of it (to remove the smell). Cats can get a bit confused, she probably couldn't get to her litterbox (closed door…etc) and gave the laundry basket a try, and now she just thinks that it's a super comfy litter box that has super absorbent litter and smells of lavender. Once they learn to pee somewhere nice a comfy (for out cat it was the dirt floor in our old basement) it's hard to break them of the habit, but if you remove the temptation, she'll go back to her litter box….

Feb. 11, 2010, 3:13 p.m.

Move the laundry basket into a closet and bleach the sh*t out of it (to remove the smell). Cats can get a bit confused, she probably couldn't get to her litterbox (closed door…etc) and gave the laundry basket a try, and now she just thinks that it's a super comfy litter box that has super absorbent litter and smells of lavender. Once they learn to pee somewhere nice a comfy (for out cat it was the dirt floor in our old basement) it's hard to break them of the habit, but if you remove the temptation, she'll go back to her litter box….

That's a good idea, we always use the enzyme cleaner when the dog was little and peed on the floor, should have thought to do something similar for the kitteh. Got a vet appointment for her on Saturday now as well so we'll see what he has to say.

Feb. 11, 2010, 3:14 p.m.

my old kitteh (spike) had the same issue, just started peeing noit often and not where he was sposed too, wet food diet solved the problem and gave him a shiny coat

Feb. 11, 2010, 3:45 p.m.

my roomate's insist on feeding the neighbour's half feral cat and used to sometimes let it into the house until it started peeing on things. Anyways, it's not allowed back in the house any more but my stupid roomate's still feed the thing, only now they give it food in a dish outside on the porch.

Lately the cat has taken to urinating on anything left out on the porch (shoes, ski's, empty beer cans, the nice cedar adirondak chairs etc) probably because it now thinks that it "owns" the porch since this is it's feeding area. I tried to tell my roomates this would happen before they started feeding it but of course they didn't believe me and now look at the problem we have.

Is there any way I can get rid of this thing? I really don't like cats very much and I briefly thought about feeding it some liquid acid (LSD) to see how it goes but I decided it might be too cruel. The cat also urinates on parked cars, fenceposts and stuff. It can pee wherever it damn well pleases except on my porch, I need some (humane) suggestions.

Feb. 11, 2010, 4:03 p.m.

my roomate's insist on feeding the neighbour's half feral cat and used to sometimes let it into the house until it started peeing on things. Anyways, it's not allowed back in the house any more but my stupid roomate's still feed the thing, only now they give it food in a dish outside on the porch.

Lately the cat has taken to urinating on anything left out on the porch (shoes, ski's, empty beer cans, the nice cedar adirondak chairs etc) probably because it now thinks that it "owns" the porch since this is it's feeding area. I tried to tell my roomates this would happen before they started feeding it but of course they didn't believe me and now look at the problem we have.

Is there any way I can get rid of this thing? I really don't like cats very much and I briefly thought about feeding it some liquid acid (LSD) to see how it goes but I decided it might be too cruel. The cat also urinates on parked cars, fenceposts and stuff. It can pee wherever it damn well pleases except on my porch, I need some (humane) suggestions.

We use the hose on the neighbour cats that poop in the garden. Cat poop has a lot of pathogens and you don't really want those on your vegetables. It used to work on the raccoons but they soon figured out that if they ran at me through the water, I'd stop and run into the house screaming like a little girl.

There are also some cat repellent home remedies.

Feb. 11, 2010, 4:24 p.m.

my roomate's insist on feeding the neighbour's half feral cat

Is there any way I can get rid of this thing?

You might start by punching your roommate in the balls.

Feb. 11, 2010, 5:34 p.m.

You might start by punching your roommate in the balls.

His balls might explode, causing pee to flood the carpet.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 11, 2010, 5:54 p.m.

Trap it and take it to spca…..i love cats but hate cat pee and will do whatever it takes to take care of a dirty cat.

We had a nice older woman cat and the wife brought home a boy kitten. Well due to stress the woman cat was pissed right off and started peeing everywhere grrrrrrrr. This went on for months, as cute as the new kitty was one of them had to go.

Feb. 12, 2010, 8:28 a.m.

OMG a Feral Cat

Feb. 12, 2010, 12:15 p.m.

Major behavioural changes like that usually indicate pain, illness, or stress. Good that you're having her checked out. Cats can be prone to UTIs and/or crystals in their urinary tract. It could be a combination of things. Probably not the dog since she has been part of the family for a year and a half. But it could have been building, and with you gone away this time it was the icing on the cake for her. Start with the vet check and go from there. Is she still peeing as much as she did before, and does she look like she's in pain?

Feb. 12, 2010, 2:24 p.m.

Have you changed what kind of kitty litter you're using? Not just brand but type.
I went from a regular clay cat litter to a multi-cat litter from the same company.
It had the same everything on the cover, except it said "multi-cat" on the front.

My cat would not pee inside the box. This from a car that ALWAYS pees in his box.

I eventually went to a corn husk litter (better smell too), and the cat had no issues
with that.

So, I'd look at the litter as well. When was the last time the litter was completely
changed and the box scrubbed clean?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 12, 2010, 2:34 p.m.

Here are a couple of other options…

Replace the box. Cats sense of smell is very strong, after peeing in one box for years it can get nasty. A $20 investment is minor in compared to cleaning supplies and having to throw out clothing.

Stating the obvious, but sometime we all forget. Don't leave clothes in the basket where the cat can get at it.

Stress with definitely cause the cat to act out in this fashion. Unfortunately once the behaviour is started, it is very very hard to stop.

I had a piddling kitty for 17 years, and nothing I ever did got her to stop. Sometime we would go months without any issues and then stretches of time when every day we came home to a problem. No rhyme or reason.

Also punishment doesn't work since they don't relate the incident to why they are being reprimanded.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen