BC lays out 5 "conditions for approval" of Northern Gateway

July 23, 2012, 1:18 p.m.

So today our government finally clarified their stance on the Northern Gateway project, after a lot of silence on the issue.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/07/23/pol-bc-pipeline-clark-gateway.html

Conditions for approval
Lake laid out the five new requirements all new crude oil pipelines will have to meet before they get provincial approval:

Completing the environmental review process. In the case of Enbridge, that would mean a recommendation by the National Energy Board Joint Review Panel that the project proceed.

Deploying world-leading marine oil-spill response, prevention and recovery systems for B.C.'s coastline and ocean to manage and mitigate the risks and costs of heavy oil pipelines and shipments.

Using world-leading practices for land oil-spill prevention, response and recovery systems to manage and mitigate the risks and costs of heavy oil pipelines.

Addressing legal requirements regarding aboriginal and treaty rights, and ensuring First Nations provided with the opportunities, information and resources necessary to participate in and benefit from a heavy-oil project.

Ensuring British Columbia receives a fair share of the fiscal and economic benefits of a proposed heavy oil project that reflects the level, degree and nature of the risk borne by the province, the environment and taxpayers.

The criteria will apply to the controversial Northern Gateway project and any other new pipeline in B.C., Lake said.

One huge issue that heard reference to (I believe in a report by the ex-ICBC CEO), is that the bonding/insurance that "Northern Gateway Corp." has access to, is nowhere near the estimated costs of a spill. That and the fact that it's a shell corporation for Enbridge, basically absolving them of any major risk.

What say ye, NSMB?

Bicycles!

July 23, 2012, 1:28 p.m.

Well - this is basically one giant business negotiation. Its pretty much the same as negotiating to buy a house - you say that the repairs identified in the home inspection are worth $25,000 - the seller says oh no - only $5,000. At some point you all meet in the middle and sign a purchase agreement.

The whole pipeline thing is the same. The BC Government must love all of the protesters and controversy as it gives them much more leverage in making a deal for compensation.

Furthermore, state of the art pipeline monitoring and marine response sounds like full time jobs to me.

Not a bad first step…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 23, 2012, 1:52 p.m.

Why can't Canada grow balls and do what Norway does with it's pension fund?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 23, 2012, 1:57 p.m.

'cause we're "three-fifths human" in this country.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 23, 2012, 2:17 p.m.

no thanks

nobody is this dumb.

July 23, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

"our soul is for sale, and it will cost this much!"

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 23, 2012, 2:50 p.m.

World leading response and prevention? Ahahahahahahaha

HHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHA

:lol::lol::lol:

Clunking is for retards.

July 23, 2012, 3:07 p.m.

This last decision by Enbridge to up the safety features sort of feels like when you are negotiating with a car salesperson.

Me - so I want to pay $30,000.
SP - sorry can't go a penny under $35,000
Me - Ok I can't afford it, have a nice day
SP - well in that case I guess I can do $30,000- I didn't realise that you didn't feel like getting screwed today, if I had known that I would have told you $30 from the start.

Enbridge version - wow we are getting a lot of push back - remember when we told you we would use the best tech available, weeellll we actually have some better stuff- if you want we can use that. Aren't we swell.

July 23, 2012, 3:19 p.m.

Multiple reasons. None of which make sense, mostly because we're greedy and we like shoving high wages in our pockets.

July 23, 2012, 3:46 p.m.

Multiple reasons. None of which make sense, mostly because we're greedy and we like shoving high wages in our pockets.

If by we you mean a room full of corporate execs. Than yes. You're fooling yourself if you think you're getting a good deal.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 23, 2012, 3:50 p.m.

If by we you mean a room full of corporate execs. Than yes. You're fooling yourself if you think you're getting a good deal.

Agreed.

July 23, 2012, 4:53 p.m.

Maybe they'll hire these guys…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEiHc_wMWZA

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 23, 2012, 5 p.m.

so i guess that makes it a done deal then .

gov't says " we want X before you build "

they say " oh yeah , we can do that "

July 23, 2012, 5:37 p.m.

This is the transcript of a radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a Collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second largest ship in the United States' Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that YOU change your course 15 degrees north, that's one five degrees north, or countermeasures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.[2]

_

Same with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlTZ2lvmHPM_

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 23, 2012, 5:49 p.m.

I guess my big question would be; does the petroleum industry have a set of these "world-leading" standards set fourth by some sort of professional organization. Plenty of them for different aspects of mining from CIM, SME, JORC, etc. So long as they are coming from professional organizations and not just what one company says are the standards, I feel that is adequate.

As far as the OP whining that "Northern Gateway Corp" is a way of Enbridge being cheap cunts, open your fucking eyes. That is how every single natural resource project (and probably a lot of other business as well) is done. This is largely for tax reasons, as well as liability. Fuck, my company only owns one mine and there are still 3 levels of companies who own the place.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.