Anyone Living / Working in the Sparwood Area? Teck Coal.

Jan. 22, 2015, 8:02 p.m.

That should about settle it.

Jan. 23, 2015, 6:44 a.m.

Do you catch and release? Or do you eat like a king?

My bro was lead surveyor on the hwy widening between Sparwood and Fernie and I was going to school in Calgary at the time so I spent most of that summer in Fernie. I also rode "Around The Mountain" in Kimberly and "Goblin" in Cranbrook. I have also done the Fernie Enduro the last two years. The lifestyle Fernie offers cannot be beat. Having lived in town an bussed to the mine every day for three years long commute is not fun. I think i will live in Sparwood to start to keep the commute down.

Anyone else got some knowledge?

The Elk Valley is an unreal combination if you value a mountain lifestyle, but also want a rewarding industrial career. to counter some of the negativity i offer the following.

view of EVO coal preparation plant leaving my temp housing in Sparwood.

typical elk river cutthroat. river is 2min from the front door in Fernie.

low angle touring after work

solo powerline meadow skipping

ski touring mongolia or siberia bowl? Sidecountry from Fernie resort

night skiing at the Elkford ski hill.

winter fly fishing, bull trout

cranbrook trails start to melt out earlier

crazy terrain in the south country near lake koocanusa

spring weather can get awkward in Fernie

fishing a local sparwood creek after work. maybe 5min drive from my office

boy catches first fish

mtb summer twoonie race series treated me well. took some events [HTML_REMOVED] overall

vertical is the game in Fernie. on the way to 50,000m+ this summer

biked/climbed Mt Fernie because

bagged Mt Hosmer

Heiko's trail in the alpine

fish of the year, Bull River. don't think i tied on wet fly the entire summer/fall.

kperras, freeride isn't dead. alpine.

tough day on the Fording river

from town to Polar Peak, top of the resort about 1000m up.

winter happened.

view from the front yard in Fernie

guess i skied a bit over the holidays (17 consecutive days)

including backcountry sled skiing

crazy temperature inversion driving down to Montana

left work early, bagged ski laps

boys first solo lap up the tow.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 26, 2015, 4:05 p.m.

If you're not going to live in Fernie (lifestyle) why not live in Elkford and have the shortest commute to FRO.

Jan. 28, 2015, 10:24 p.m.

Looks like tumblr ridge

Jan. 28, 2015, 11:33 p.m.

I moved here to Fernie just over 4 months ago. Having made the move from Sydney, Aus to here you can say it was a hell of a lifestyle change. But its definitely good fun and the people in town keep it worthwhile whilst we are in a bit of a snow slump.

Apparently the summers here are awesome, biking and fishing will definitely be taking up my time!

Jan. 29, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

If you're not going to live in Fernie (lifestyle) why not live in Elkford and have the shortest commute to FRO.

After doing 6 years in the Mac living in Elkford is not an option.
We are currently living in Edmonton and loving the city life. The riding scene here is huge, fat bikes everywhere right now and in the summer the river valley is full of group rides. There are three ladies only bike group rides each week for my wife to ride with. For this winter we a joined a running group to get out side of the gym…

I got the call from TECK completely out of the blue and it is hard to pass up. Living in Fernie will bring me back to my life style growing up on the island. Edmonton had great food, people and a university but the thing we would regret about leaving Edmonton behind is my wife had a killer job here. Fernie also puts us with in 12h of our families in Nanaimo.

Sorry thing is kind of randomly put together.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 29, 2015, 8:21 a.m.

Are those snow pics from Fernie area this winter?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 29, 2015, 8:54 a.m.

The Edmonton River valley is a good stepping stone from a zero riding area.

Anyone else catch the PB vid on Fernie?

Jan. 29, 2015, 9:27 a.m.

They might be, we had glimmers of a good snowfall early. January has been a sad state of affairs though, I'm thinking of even throwing in the liftie job and going back to carpentry. The shit pay loses its appeal when there isn't any powder to make up for it.

Jan. 29, 2015, 6:48 p.m.

photos are chronological. everything after truck in the driveway is this season.

Jan. 31, 2015, 4:59 a.m.

I think you'll enjoy it down there. Beautiful there. We almost moved there last year from Edmonton but settled on Williams Lake instead for Gibraltar Mine. Anything in BC is better than Alberta in my books!

Feb. 2, 2015, 6:11 p.m.

I think you'll enjoy it down there. Beautiful there. We almost moved there last year from Edmonton but settled on Williams Lake instead for Gibraltar Mine. Anything in BC is better than Alberta in my books!

I hear Gibraltar is having layoffs. Hope your safe. These prices suck for all of us.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Feb. 2, 2015, 6:37 p.m.

I hear Gibraltar is having layoffs. Hope your safe. These prices suck for all of us.

Yeah not a hot time to be in mining right now. Looks like copper prices have leveled off and even gone up a touch lately so thats promising. Taseko has hedged prices until summer so gives them some buffer zone for a bit. Im a Journeyman HD mech though, which keeps me pretty safe for now!

Feb. 2, 2015, 9:10 p.m.

So how far of a drive is it to Calgary from Fernie?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 2, 2015, 9:15 p.m.

So how far of a drive is it to Calgary from Fernie?

3 hours