La Vuelta

Sept. 3, 2014, 9:21 a.m.

Ryder must be hurting … lost 13 minutes today, and I would have expected him to do well on a mountain finish.

Poor Quintana, another crash and out. I kind of like the little guy.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 3, 2014, 11:35 a.m.

Tough year for the top guys. Contador's race to lose now, I think.

Sept. 6, 2014, 10:38 p.m.

… the way Ryder has generally succeeded in the past seems to be when he has broken away clean from leader group. He probably doesn't have a lot of those days left in his aging body.

He managed to pull one out today. Nice to see him get the stage win.

Sept. 7, 2014, 7:42 p.m.

Tough year for the top guys. Contador's race to lose now, I think.

Valverde made a statement with his ride today. "I'm not out of it yet".

Sept. 7, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

He managed to pull one out today. Nice to see him get the stage win.

Yeah, his strategy has always been to show pure guts when the lead group is holding back …

Sept. 8, 2014, 12:16 p.m.

Got caught up stages 14, 15, and 16 this morning listening on the headphones at work.

Great racing.

Ryder's stage win was down to the end.

Thought Froome was going pull something off today, but Contador said no way.

Sept. 8, 2014, 1:24 p.m.

Sad news … http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/spanish-policeman-dies-motorcycle-accident-vuelta-stage_344602

The pro peloton was tragically reminded of how dangerous racing on open roads can be Monday, when a member of Spain’s Guardia Civil died in a motorcycle crash during stage 16 at the Vuelta a España.

According to reports in the Spanish media, a motorcycle patrol officer accompanying race security died during the stage after crashing his motorcycle off the road and hitting a guardrail.

Details were still unconfirmed hours after the stage, but the Spanish wire service EFE cited sources within the Guardia Civil that the accident took place on the descent off the Puerto de la Cobertoria, the third of five climbs in Monday’s stage.

EFE reported that the accident occurred around 3:30 p.m. during the stage. The officer’s name has yet to be released.

Dozens of motorcycle officers accompany the Vuelta each stage, riding ahead and behind the peloton to ensure road safety during rolling road closures along the route.

Officials are investigating what might have caused the accident, but roads in the mountains of Asturias are narrow and often feature tight, off-camber corners. Despite forecasts of rain, it appeared that roads were dry at the time of the incident.

Spanish media reported that the officer was evacuated by helicopter to a nearby hospital, but his life could not be saved.

Sept. 10, 2014, 4:38 p.m.

Sad….and this happens shortly after a spectator was killed at a DH race in the UK….

Sept. 10, 2014, 8 p.m.

While we are all morbid and all that, a 20-year old female Dutch racer died in a crash at the UCI World Cup in Méribel, France during the XCE race 2 weeks ago:

Mountain biker fell during eliminator qualifying

Dutch cyclist Annefleur Kalvenhaar has died in hospital after crashing during eliminator qualifying at the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in Méribel, France.

The Focus XC Team rider fell during qualifying on Friday and was taken to Grenoble hospital, where she was put into intensive care. Kalvenhaar passed away on Saturday morning.

"I'm devastated to hear that the cycling family has lost one of its members at such a young age. Our deepest thoughts are with her family and friends," said UCI president Brian Cookson in a statement.

The 20-year-old Kalvenhaar was the reigning under 23 European Cyclo-cross champion and under 23 Dutch mountain bike champion. She is the only rider ever to have died due to an accident in the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup.

Cyclingnews passes on our condolences to her family.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kalvenhaar-dies-after-crash-at-meribel-world-cup

Sept. 12, 2014, 3:07 p.m.

The cobbler wins a stage.

Sept. 13, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

great finish today . . . top five GC in order on the road .

Sept. 14, 2014, 5:12 p.m.

Bummer about the rain on the TT today, it was weird to see guys coasting across the finish.

I hope Contador, Froome and Quintana get to go head to head all the way through a GT next year.