La Vuelta

Aug. 14, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

Contador says he's back in. Hopefully he's recovered enough to hang with Froome and Quintana, but that seems unlikely.

Looks like Hesjedal, Boivin and Houle will be representing Canada.

Aug. 14, 2014, 11:02 p.m.

Can't wait for it. The Vuelta has been the best of the Grand Tours for the last couple of years.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 15, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

Contador says he's back in. Hopefully he's recovered enough to hang with Froome and Quintana, but that seems unlikely.

Looks like Hesjedal, Boivin and Houle will be representing Canada.

No Tuft? Do any of the domestics do the triple and ride the three big Grand Tours? He's done the Giro and the TDF already this year.

Aug. 15, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

Quick glance through makes me think that rodriguez is going for all three? Or at least starting all three… Crashed out of the Giro.

Aug. 15, 2014, 11:35 a.m.

No Tuft? Do any of the domestics do the triple and ride the three big Grand Tours? He's done the Giro and the TDF already this year.

Given his good results this year, I thought he'd at least start and ride until the stage 10 ITT as prep for the worlds. Maybe he's injured, he's not riding the Tour of Alberta with Meier either.

Houle is also showing on the start list for ToA, as a member of Team Canada, so things obviously aren't finalized.

Aug. 15, 2014, 3:07 p.m.

Hardly ever. In all of history, only 32 riders have ever completed all 3 Grand Tours in the same season. The latest is Adam Hansen, who completed all 3 tours in 2012 and 2013. He'll do it in 2014 if he completes the Vuelta (he is on this year's start list).

Aug. 21, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

Anyone know what (if any) TV coverage we'll get? Sportsnet was really spotty with Le Tour this year.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 21, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

My PVR guide is showing 2 hours coverage in the mornings, 8-10, and a 30 minute highlight show in the evening, 11-11:30.

What I didn't like during the Tour was they were switching back and forth between SN1 and regular SN, which screwed up my series recordings.

Aug. 21, 2014, 4:07 p.m.

Yah, that's kind of what I was alluding to when I mentioned "spotty coverage"! :agree:

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 22, 2014, 7:26 a.m.

Chris Horner out of the Vuelta

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-horner-out-of-vuelta-a-espana-due-to-low-cortisol-levels

Aug. 22, 2014, 11:59 a.m.

Getting healthy comes first. Horner has had bronchitis since before the Tour. Sounds like the team put his health first, knowing that he might not be able to race because of it.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 22, 2014, 12:39 p.m.

My take away from that article was that it was more about Lampre following the MPCC rules, and less about putting his health first. If they weren't a member of MPCC, I think he'd be on the start line tomorrow.

Aug. 22, 2014, 2:40 p.m.

Lampre knew it was a risk that Horner could not start the Vuelta but wanted to see him get over his bronchitis.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/lampre-forced-into-difficult-spot-over-horners-test_342087#ITBcs0xLDqgJy81E.99

Another article says that Lampre consulted with two doctors who both recommended the same course of treatment (cortisone).

Aug. 22, 2014, 3:59 p.m.

The VeloNews article explains it better than the Cyclingnews one. If they knew going into the treatment that it could screw things up for him, then yeah, good on them for looking out for his health and sticking to the MPCC agreement.

Aug. 22, 2014, 4:28 p.m.

The VeloNews article explains it better than the Cyclingnews one. If they knew going into the treatment that it could screw things up for him, then yeah, good on them for looking out for his health and sticking to the MPCC agreement.

You really have to take extra care in the health of really really old people. :)