It might be time to give up fixed riding....(possibly road cycling altogether)

Dec. 14, 2008, 11:58 p.m.

are these people making legal driving manuevers? holy hell! just the left turners alone, slowly crossing in front of an on coming bus. i wouldn't drive there either.

could be worse. I could be trying to ride in Hanoi :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFoP2TxvbRw[HTML_REMOVED]feature=related

www.natooke.com

Dec. 15, 2008, 10:19 a.m.

Wow. This is scary just watching…..

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 15, 2008, 10:32 a.m.

could be worse. I could be trying to ride in Hanoi/QUOTE]

I met a guy who had toured through Vietnam and Cambodia. Said it was crazy. Nobody stops ever and if you do you are screwed.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Dec. 15, 2008, 10:45 a.m.

I met a guy who had toured through Vietnam and Cambodia. Said it was crazy. Nobody stops ever and if you do you are screwed.

A whole new meaning of "gotta go with the flow"…

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 15, 2008, 12:10 p.m.

It might be time to give up fixed riding….(possibly road cycling altogether)

How about just getting out of them sh*tty cities and overcrowded urban environments. (I'm talking in general, not just China.)

Traffic plain sucks and so does pedestrian dodging. Neither adds anything to the road cycling experience, unless you are getting race/training support and someone is handing you drinks from the car window.

Road cycling is not about dodging traffic, it's about pushing yourself hard, covering long distances or just getting out in the elements and environment. The cleaner the environment the better for road cycling. Maybe less ass for you to chase outside of the major metropolitan areas, but better quality of life.

At the least, do yourself a favor and go for a ride in a national park where there is minimal traffic. Or do a tour in the remote countryside. If you can't enjoy that, then yeah, go ahead and give up on road cycling.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 15, 2008, 3:38 p.m.

Got my bike back today. phew

Sweet! now go for that ride.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 15, 2008, 4:26 p.m.

How about just getting out of them sh*tty cities and overcrowded urban environments. (I'm talking in general, not just China.)

Traffic plain sucks and so does pedestrian dodging. Neither adds anything to the road cycling experience, unless you are getting race/training support and someone is handing you drinks from the car window.

Road cycling is not about dodging traffic, it's about pushing yourself hard, covering long distances or just getting out in the elements and environment. The cleaner the environment the better for road cycling. Maybe less ass for you to chase outside of the major metropolitan areas, but better quality of life.

At the least, do yourself a favor and go for a ride in a national park where there is minimal traffic. Or do a tour in the remote countryside. If you can't enjoy that, then yeah, go ahead and give up on road cycling.

I think that is what road cycling means to you…

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Dec. 15, 2008, 4:43 p.m.

I think that is what road cycling means to you…

Sorry, but traffic dodging isn't road cycling, it's just a poor substitute. Furthermore, you don't even need a road bike for that purpose. Anything with two wheels (or four, for that matter) will do.

But that misses my point completely, which is to get away and enjoy riding unencumbered by distractions.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 15, 2008, 6:53 p.m.

I don't see whats wrong with just slowing down a bit and being a bit more defensive in your riding? Like, still haul ass, but give pedestrians enough space and consider them unpredictable. Anything you do is potentially hazardous to other people, and all you can do is minimize that risk. Quitting road riding is such an overreaction it's not even funny.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 15, 2008, 9:38 p.m.

oddly enough those were the next places I wanted to go ride..

www.natooke.com

Dec. 15, 2008, 9:41 p.m.

Sweet! now go for that ride.

can't yet, the front wheel got tacoed somehow.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 15, 2008, 10:24 p.m.

some sweet communist jackboot lovin' I presume…

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 15, 2008, 10:49 p.m.

some sweet communist jackboot lovin' I presume…

No i got the bike back in the same condition the cops took it in, it must have happened in the crash.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 16, 2008, 3:51 a.m.

Accidents happen. You don't plan them, and shit happens…
It's Darwinism. She'll definately watch out for traffic when walking against red lights now. Shitty that it was you that taught her to watch out.

I ride aggressivly in Seoul traffic, which is way worse than anything I've yet seen in China. People here just don't pay fucking attention to what they are doing, or what other people are doing around them. Have had no bikey/people or bikey/car accidents (yet) as I always leave an exit route, no matter how nutty I'm getting.
Something I've learned from riding a motorbike, and walking away from a few decent spills: always assume the person in front of you will do the absolute stupidest fucking thing you can think of them possibly doing, and leave room for it.

Get back on your horse, and back out there.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Dec. 16, 2008, 12:24 p.m.

always assume the person in front of you will do the absolute stupidest fucking thing you can think of them possibly doing, and leave room for it.

This applies to the idiots driving here in Victoria as soon as the snow hits.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.