Running Year in Review and Goals for 2015

Dec. 31, 2014, 12:05 a.m.

How was your running year and what are your goals for 2015?

I finished my first year of regular (trail) running and managed to avoid any major injuries although my mileage was quite modest.

Things I Learned This Year:

-Drymax socks are the bomb; so are Salomon Twinskin shorts and Vertical Ks
-Despite gimpy knees/hips, it's possible to run regularly
-Vertical gain is a cyclist's best friend
-Snow/powder runs are the bomb

Modest Goals for 2015:

-Run 1/2 marathon trail distance
-Run twice per week at least 1 hour
-Old Buck to resort parking lot

How was your year?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 31, 2014, 1:21 a.m.

My 2014 running year was exactly two days long and consisted of running for a grand total of 25 minutes which is all my out of shape rapidly expanding ass could handle.

My 2015 goals are simple:

1. Continue to run regularly.
2. Learn to run correctly.
3. Build up to hour long runs and do them 2-3 times a week.

Not planning to run any marathons, just improve my general fitness level.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 31, 2014, 5:55 a.m.

After a relatively inactive summer due to taking on a second job , I started back into the running game .

About a month into it , just when I was starting to remember ( and feel ) why I love running , I injured my knee .

I'm well on my way back now , so I'm going to use xc skiing to get me through the winter , and then get back in the game this spring .

No specific goals , just want get back to feeling good on the trails at about half marathon distance / duration .

Dec. 31, 2014, 7 a.m.

what are you guys using for shoes?

Dec. 31, 2014, 8:20 a.m.

Go to a running room duke and get properly fitted after telling them all your old man ailments.

I'm on zero drop wide shoes and for the first time I'm able to run 2-3 k without blowing up my left knee.

http://www.runnersworld.com/barefoot-running-minimalism/run-minimally

Dec. 31, 2014, 8:52 a.m.

I live in the boonies.. Im hitting source for sports by default..

Dec. 31, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

Your knees aren't worth a trip to the big shitty?

Dec. 31, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

Yeah running room is a good idea I used to get shoes from them (Nike air triax) with good results, when I cheaped out on sport chek shoes I learned the real cost of a shitty shoe isn't tallied until after you pay the physio bills and besides … it hurts

I don't run much but motion control shoes (Saucony stabil grid) taught me better form and I can now run on a neutral shoe (la sportiva wildcat GTX)

Dec. 31, 2014, 10:30 a.m.

I live in the boonies.. Im hitting source for sports by default..

Where you located?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 31, 2014, 1:13 p.m.

not a running room fan although I know they are active and supportive in the community .

I highly recommend north shore athletics on Lonsdale . they have a mini track in the store where they can actually analyze your gait , foot strike , etc .

they have a good supply of quality shoes to accommodate all types of runners , and running surfaces .

don't expect dirt cheap prices although they do have clearance stuff .

Dec. 31, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

The 2 different RR's I went to just watched me run down the block which worked ok they probably both took the same seminar and both shops put me in the same shoes

In PG Stride and Glide is really good for shoes and XC ski gear, they will watch you run on the treadmill

Sportschek sold me a new 7 yr old model of shoe after which I got PF so IME cheap shoes were literally a pain

Dec. 31, 2014, 3:37 p.m.

After not running for four months I over trained for a running/MTb race and injured my knee. So my goal for 2015 is to run more regularly and Finish higher in that race this year if it happens. So far so good…plus I have been strength training for the last few months which I have found is making a big difference for my downhill running. I can feel my quads taking the brunt of it instead of my knees for a change.

Since everyone is plugging shoe stores…kintec and peninsula runners are good and both support local events

Dec. 31, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

Isn't your form more important than the shoes you're using?

www.natooke.com

Dec. 31, 2014, 7:29 p.m.

If you over or under pronate, etc, the right fitting shoes will make a big difference.

Dec. 31, 2014, 8:35 p.m.

I highly recommend north shore athletics on Lonsdale . they have a mini track in the store where they can actually analyze your gait , foot strike , etc .

Unfortunately while that is useful to sell running shoes there is far more that can be done having someone work with you to get better. There is far more to running well and comfortably than a gait analysis in a store and a suggestion for better shoes.

This would be like walking into Canski getting a skiing analysis on a special treadmill. Sold some boots, custom insoles, skies with bindings and plate, and such. Then sent up the lift to do the rest yourself.

One of my pet peeves with the running industry.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/