NSMB Healthiest Me 2013/2014 intro and goals thread

Nov. 25, 2013, 10:50 a.m.

Ok I did my official weigh in this morning. Before Breakfast, after morning pee.
187.4 lbs goal 170 lbs
chest 42 inch - goal 43 inch
middle of tire 39 inches - goal 34 inches.

Do you want more chest muscle for function or for show? If it's the former, a better goal to measure for your chest would be something like maximum weight moved, or how many claps you can get in between pushups.

If you just want big, muscly boobs, go for a bodybuilder training program of lots of isolation, lots of training and lots of eating.

Nov. 25, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

Chest was really a throw away (looking for things to measure easily at home), more concerned about losing the tire and the excess weight. I put an increase size in there more to focus on building up the lats (pretty non existent). pretty ok with my chest (could always use a little more definition).

Nov. 25, 2013, 11:38 a.m.

alright, here's my goals!

Physique
- current bodyweight of 195lbs @ 5'11" and the goal is stay pretty much the same but drop some fat
- current body fat percent of about 12%, goal is sub 10%, maybe 8%, 0 of 4 achieved, 0%

Cardio
- can run 7:30 mile, goal is a sub 6 minute mile, 0 of 100 sec achieved, 0% (on a treadmill)

Strength

- 2 chin-ups with a 45lb weight, goal is 10 reps, 0 of 8 reps achieved, 0%
- 0 muscle ups, goal is 5 reps, 0 of 5 achieved, 0%
- 1 pull ups with a 45lb weight, goal is 7 reps, 0 of 7 achieved, 0%
- 135lb barbell curl for 2 reps, goal is 6, 0 of 4 achieved, 0%
- 225lb step-ups (thigh parallel) for 3 reps, goal is 8, 0 of 5 achieved, 0%

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 25, 2013, 2:48 p.m.

Chest was really a throw away (looking for things to measure easily at home), more concerned about losing the tire and the excess weight. I put an increase size in there more to focus on building up the lats (pretty non existent). pretty ok with my chest (could always use a little more definition).

For me, Kroc rows are endless in their benefits.

Make sure you don't forget your upper back.. face-pulls, shrugs, overhead-shrugs, etc.

Nov. 27, 2013, 11:57 a.m.

For me, Kroc rows are endless in their benefits.

Make sure you don't forget your upper back.. face-pulls, shrugs, overhead-shrugs, etc.

Did the kroc rows yesterday at the gym. Been years since I have done them, yep some forgotten muscles, amazing how different from just doing a seated row.

Nov. 27, 2013, 10:55 p.m.

4 sleeps to go!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 27, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

I managed to do 55 pushups (albeit while uttering an expletive a few times) for the first time since surgery.

That was my goal. Do I get the jersey?

Nov. 27, 2013, 11 p.m.

I managed to do 55 pushups (albeit while uttering an expletive a few times) for the first time since surgery.

sure send me $100 and a self adressed stamped envelope and i'll send you the jersey

Ellen Langer

Nov. 27, 2013, 11:05 p.m.

sure send me $100 and a self adressed stamped envelope and i'll send you the jersey

But I already gave you my CC#. WTF!

Nov. 28, 2013, 10:09 a.m.

Syncro those stats are impressive.

Nov. 28, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

Physique (measured this am by Dexascan)
- 163.8 lbs, no weight loss goal
- current 36.6% % body fat , goal is 4% reduction
*** Not BMI as that is irrevelant :P

Cardio
- can run 10km in 1:03, want to get that to about 54 min
- Goal run a half marathon in May

Strength
- none at that moment, starting a new program
- Goal, being able to do one pull up :)
- Goal, be able to hike with a chainsaw on my back

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 28, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

How do you do your pushups? Does your chest touch the ground on each one? Or do you leave a little room. My max varies a lot depending how I do them. Keeping your feet together also makes it harder because you have to use your arms for lateral stability instead of cheating with your legs.

Nov. 28, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

How do you do your pushups? Does your chest touch the ground on each one? Or do you leave a little room. My max varies a lot depending how I do them. Keeping your feet together also makes it harder because you have to use your arms for lateral stability instead of cheating with your legs.

a great way to build stability in the shoulder girdle and work core strength is to do push-ups with stability/swiss balls. have one under each hand and the balls shouldn't touching anything like a wall or each other. to crank it up another level do it with only one foot on the floor and alternate feet each rep. the ultimate is to add a third ball to put under your feet.

like this except don't let the balls touch each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSRkPWRLV2w

plus the advantage to this is you can go balls deep.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

I've always gone ankles together, but I mix up my hand placement a lot. Usually to find a spot that doesn't wreak havoc on my once busted arm/wrist. Ultimately, I go for an elbows more-tucked-in than flared-out set up with my body as a solid plank. So given that, I'm usually hitting the tip of my nose before I hit my chest.

Nov. 28, 2013, 2:56 p.m.

Well I am joining the party.

I am weighing in at 198 @ 15% BF at the current time. The goal is to compete in the physique class at the Krak Klassic bodybuilding competition on March 1.

So, any leg shaving tips?