NSMB Healthiest Me 2013/2014 intro and goals thread

Nov. 22, 2013, 8:52 a.m.

Push ups are an awesome exercise. Very little space and no equipment required. If you have a few spare minutes, just drop down and do some. If you want a little variety, you can do them on you palms, your knuckles (fist) or fingertips. Try to go as deep as possible. See how many you can do in a row. If you get bored with that, you can try one-arm pushups. Splay the leg on your free arm side out to get some stability and then as you get stronger over time, try more and more to align your legs. If that gets boring, I know a guy who can do handstand pushups.

Uneven push-ups are a good option too. One hand on a small ball and one on the floor - then do proper push ups. It seems to me that these work different muscles than the handstand push ups, although I'm sure both are extremely beneficial to upper body strength.

Nov. 23, 2013, 4:04 p.m.

I currently have one goal, and that's to start trail running again (actually started today) and to do a 20 km run by the end of the 3 months. Of course, people who know significant running numbers will tell me that I should do 21.1, as that's half-marathon, and I can get down with that.

So yeah, I'm going to do a half marathon distance this winter, probably solo and not as part of an event. I'll be tracking using a Garmin so I can report back on my progress.

At this point I don't know if it's a realistic goal, but the Dirty Duo race in March has a solo 25 km run + 30 km bike category, and that would be pretty cool to complete.

flickr

Nov. 23, 2013, 4:39 p.m.

ASICS GEL-Scout trail shoes – wonder how long they'll stay this bright…

flickr

Nov. 23, 2013, 9:03 p.m.

Cardio
- can run 10min mile, goal is a 9 minute mile, 63 of 60sec achieved, 105%

that was way too easy, I wasn't even winded. New Goal: 7:00 mile

Cardio
- can run 7:57 mile, goal is a 7:00 mile, 0 of 57sec achieved, 0%

Syncro good call on the wrist curls, I can feel that I'm weak in the wrists. It's strange because I have relatively large forearms. Skinny little wrists though.

I'd also like to add military press to my goals
- can lift 60 lbs, goal is 75 lbs, 0 of 15 lbs achieved.

My benchpress was seriously lacking today. 3RM at 145.

Nov. 23, 2013, 10:12 p.m.

I think this is a great idea and will help me past a bit of a plateau I've been stuck on for a while.

About me, 24 year old male athletic build (skinny) 6'2" and 160 lbs. I've been lifting weights over the past 6 years pretty regularly and slowly making gains. I'd like a little bump this winter so here it goes.

Physique
Current bodyweight is 160 lbs, goal is 170. Pretty lofty considering I was 140 when I started lifting and have had some stomach issues I'm working thru.
Body fat is 7% that's ok with me but lets see if I can keep it between 5-7%.

My current one rep max

Bench 180
Military Press 115
Dead Lift 380
Squat 185
Wide grip pull ups 6
Dips body weight + 40lbs for 5 reps

Now I really need to work on my legs. I'm built with long skinny legs, I can ride all day and it doesn't faze me but get me in the squat rack and its pathetic.

Goals

Bench 210
Military Press 135
Dead Lift 405
Squat 225
Wide grip pull ups 12
Dips body weight +50lbs for 10
Core, I've got the top 4 of the 6 pack can't seem to get the bottom 2. Not a priority right now but what the hell.

Good luck everyone!

Nov. 23, 2013, 10:19 p.m.

I currently have one goal, and that's to start trail running again (actually started today) and to do a 20 km run by the end of the 3 months. Of course, people who know significant running numbers will tell me that I should do 21.1, as that's half-marathon, and I can get down with that.

So yeah, I'm going to do a half marathon distance this winter, probably solo and not as part of an event. I'll be tracking using a Garmin so I can report back on my progress.

At this point I don't know if it's a realistic goal, but the Dirty Duo race in March has a solo 25 km run + 30 km bike category, and that would be pretty cool to complete.

Half marathon with 12 weeks training is totally doable. You should sign up for an organized event. It's worth it. I was skeptical about doing so and now I'm glad I did. I'm hooked.

The vibe at the start is so similar to an organized bike race. It's exhilarating. The hardest part is slowing yourself down at the start [HTML_REMOVED] the temptation to make a made dash out of the gate is almost overwhelming.

You won't regret it if you do an organized Half. It's pretty cool.

Nov. 24, 2013, 8:09 a.m.

Rat is 215 right now and I want to hit 185 by April.

I don't run so that's out Mabey I'll measure how fast I can skin up Seymour or something later on to test the cardio.

My plan
Riding my bike to work 3 to 4 times per week.
Skiing, sledding, snowshoeing, moto,hike, mountain bike a few times per week, try and get in some longer days
Cutting way back on the booze and cut carbs back
Start doing bikram yoga once a week again
I have access to a decent free gym but I'd really have to force myself to fit that in

Want to ski the garabaldi neve and climb garabaldi this spring as a bit of a motivational goal.

Have to head to china and japan on Tuesday for work which requires mandatory excessive drinking and eating so that will set me back a bit

Nov. 24, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

Current bodyweight is 160 lbs, goal is 170. Pretty lofty considering I was 140 when I started lifting and have had some stomach issues I'm working thru.
Body fat is 7% that's ok with me but lets see if I can keep it between 5-7%.
!

There's no way you're at 7%. Based on your description, you're closer to 12%

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Nov. 24, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

You can always to the New Years Fat Ass 50. There are points I believe where one can turn around and do shorter distances.

https://www.facebook.com/events/181129325426666/?ref=4

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 24, 2013, 3:11 p.m.

how you liking those dissent socks?

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 24, 2013, 5:41 p.m.

There's no way you're at 7%. Based on your description, you're closer to 12%

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

hmm yeah I do look like i'm in that percentile. I'm just going off the scale at the gym that calculates BF%, it's not likely that accurate.

Nov. 24, 2013, 5:50 p.m.

hmm yeah I do look like i'm in that percentile. I'm just going off the scale at the gym that calculates BF%, it's not likely that accurate.

Those things are worse than useless.

Hydrostatic weighting or Dexa is the only way to get a real answer..

Nov. 24, 2013, 6:42 p.m.

how you liking those dissent socks?

I have 6 or 7 pairs – have been wearing both the SuperCrew seen there and the MTB GenuFlex since August 2012. The fit is great, and even though they're not wool I can get a number of wears out of them without washing. While the GenuFlex look thick, they are actually relatively low profile. At $25-29 a pair they're not cheap but I consider them to be the carbon rims of socks – I'm not going back.

flickr

Nov. 25, 2013, 10:11 a.m.

Ok I did my official weigh in this morning. Before Breakfast, after morning pee.
187.4 lbs goal 170 lbs
chest 42 inch - goal 43 inch
middle of tire 39 inches - goal 34 inches.

Nov. 25, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

yeah I was going to bring that^^ up, the best time to weigh in is when you wake up in the am which basicly makes is a fasting weight if you had nothing to eat or drink after 8pm

IME a dump and a piss will knock .8 lbs off your total