who rides hard tail?

May 4, 2015, 5:38 p.m.

I understand how the terrain works, to a degree - I just also understand that people do, more often than a lot think, ride hard tails on those same trails, although, maybe more slowly. This is not my first time on a bike, as said, be it a full suspension, hard tail, rigid, fat, bmx or Fixie. My point is just that I really don't care to just get comparisons about why full suspension bikes are "better", or more fun or whatever, what I'm really interested in hearing about are peoples experiences with it, what they ride etc. I would like my first decent bike here to be something that's very reliable, light and comfortable - I commute to work by bike, so having something nice to ride around town and in the trails is ideal -something I can ride when I go fishing as well. 1x drivetrains with 10 or 11 on the back.
I respect the type of riding one can do on a FS bike and think it's totally dope, I will at some point have a FS bike, but that's not what I'm here to talk about right now, I don't need to be going crazy fast as much as I would like to be going far, on road and off. Sorry if I've come off rude about it, but seriously getting off topic lol. As far as a thrashing bike goes, I'd gladly ride my current bike for all that shit if it had more than one gear, a taller seat post and a front brake.

May 4, 2015, 7:18 p.m.

My point is just that I really don't care to just get comparisons about why full suspension bikes are "better", or more fun or whatever, what I'm really interested in hearing about are peoples experiences with it, what they ride etc. I would like my first decent bike here to be something that's very reliable, light and comfortable - I commute to work by bike, so having something nice to ride around town and in the trails is ideal -something I can ride when I go fishing as well. 1x drivetrains with 10 or 11 on the back.

you're asking for two very different bikes here.

first, the only way to figure out what a decent bike for you will be is by getting some trail time on the trails you will be riding. i like riding my hardtail equally well as my am bike, my hardtail xc bike and my dh bike depending on the trail - sometimes even on the same trail depending on the experience i'm after. they're all different and all potentially fun, but the only person who can decide that for you is you and that comes with experience. just get out there and check things out, even if it's just a trail hike or renting from a shop. but if you do that with your current bike i'd highly suggest putting a brake on the front.

second, using the same bike to commute around town and ride trails on is going to leave you hating both experiences.

it sounds like you really have no idea what the riding is like here. a bike that will work well for commuting is going to limit what you can ride on the shore and elsewhere in BC. go look at what you're getting yourself into before thinking about buying a bike.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 4, 2015, 7:56 p.m.

shocking, a hardtail thread with JCL bitching about them…LOL :)

Instruments of total shitness!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 4, 2015, 7:57 p.m.

first, the only way to figure out what a decent bike for you will be is by getting some trail time on the trails you will be riding. i like riding my hardtail equally well as my am bike, my hardtail xc bike and my dh bike depending on the trail - sometimes even on the same trail depending on the experience i'm after. they're all different and all potentially fun, but the only person who can decide that for you is you and that comes with experience. just get out there and check things out, even if it's just a trail hike or renting from a shop. but if you do that with your current bike i'd highly suggest putting a brake on the front.

second, using the same bike to commute around town and ride trails on is going to leave you hating both experiences.

it sounds like you really have no idea what the riding is like here. a bike that will work well for commuting is going to limit what you can ride on the shore and elsewhere in BC. go look at what you're getting yourself into before thinking about buying a bike.

This.

May 4, 2015, 8:32 p.m.

All of this.

May 4, 2015, 8:38 p.m.

Third this.

Mount front brake on your current ride and hit the shore. Then hit Sports Junkies to have something to ride around on from Richmond.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 4, 2015, 8:40 p.m.

Instruments of total shitness!

you will be a happier and more complete person once you come to the realization that the reason you hate hardtails is due to your lack of bike skills and this is why you ride the skill enhancing machine known as a full suspension mountain bicycle. it's perfectly ok to admit this fault as many others suffer from the same malady.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 4, 2015, 10 p.m.

Third this.

Mount front brake on your current ride and hit the shore. Then hit Sports Junkies to have something to ride around on from Richmond.

Thats kind of what I've been saying all along for thrashing on the shore …and as far as not knowing what I want or need goes … I don't know what to tell you - I ride a single speed dirt jumper to and from work every day, 100km a week - I'm sure a stumpjumper or something along those lines would be much nicer to ride to work and on the trails, and to the watershed and Burnaby and wherever I decide to go fishing. I also have a "commuter" style bike, with 700c tires and all that jazz, but theres some spots in my commute that make having a mountain bike preferable - like when I get on/off the knight St bridge onto the dusty grimey paths and generally around Mitchell island because glass, nails etc are even more likely to mangle skinny road tires (plus I like the nimbleness of my bike, some people don't like to give space on the road). So yeah…basically this season, what I know I'd already like, is a nice hard tail, one I can ride everywhere (apparently lower fromme is nice according to someone on page 1…) Its not really just about buying a bike for the trails, its about buying a bike for life. I won't be able to get serious into riding until next year anyway, I need a car, I need free time, I've got a whole life I have to rebuild after all.
Prior to moving here I was riding a specialized hard rock 29er and loved it - very efficient around town and nice on the trails, my only beef was I could bottom the shock out too easily, but after building my current bike I have a bit of a better idea of how to remedy that issue.

May 4, 2015, 10:22 p.m.

You're not looking for advice, you're looking for validation. So go buy whatever carbon HT that you have your heart set on.

May 4, 2015, 10:51 p.m.

Thats kind of what I've been saying all along for thrashing on the shore …and as far as not knowing what I want or need goes … I don't know what to tell you - I ride a single speed dirt jumper to and from work every day, 100km a week

who cares? besides some baseline fitness riding 10km one way on the street has nothing to do with riding trails.

I'm sure a stumpjumper or something along those lines would be much nicer to ride to work and on the trails, and to the watershed and Burnaby and wherever I decide to go fishing.

probably, but as long as you sit behind your computer thinking about it you'll never find out.

I also have a "commuter" style bike, with 700c tires and all that jazz, but theres some spots in my commute that make having a mountain bike preferable - like when I get on/off the knight St bridge onto the dusty grimey paths and generally around Mitchell island because glass, nails etc are even more likely to mangle skinny road tires (plus I like the nimbleness of my bike, some people don't like to give space on the road).

if you're worried about a little dust and grime then you probably won't like the shore.

So yeah…basically this season, what I know I'd already like, is a nice hard tail, one I can ride everywhere (apparently lower fromme is nice according to someone on page 1…) Its not really just about buying a bike for the trails, its about buying a bike for life. I won't be able to get serious into riding until next year anyway, I need a car, I need free time, I've got a whole life I have to rebuild after all.

mother of god, buying a bike for life? and a whole life to rebuild? take your bike money and spend it on some therapy sessions, you'll get more benefit that way

Prior to moving here I was riding a specialized hard rock 29er and loved it - very efficient around town and nice on the trails, my only beef was I could bottom the shock out too easily, but after building my current bike I have a bit of a better idea of how to remedy that issue.

so building a hardtail has taught you how to remedy bottoming a shock on a fs bike? interesting, please elaborate on this newfound bike wisdom.

once you've done that GO RIDE A FUCKING TRAIL OR TWO so you have at least some clue as to what to expect. contemplating this from behind a computer will get you nowhere.

that or just go buy whatever you think looks pretty, as that will be pretty much as effective as your current decision making process.

Ellen Langer

May 4, 2015, 11:06 p.m.

Bwhahaha . I'm definitely following this thread:ohthedrama:

May 5, 2015, 7:41 a.m.

Syncro, why you gotta be a fucking prick?
A bike for life as in a bike that will be used for life things, not just trail riding - as in getting groceries, as in going downtown to meet up with people, getting to work, going fishing, going camping and yes riding one way 10km to work and back every day. When did I say building my current HT taught me to remedy a FS bottoming out? I didn't, I was clearly saying that my old specialized bottomed out too much, which I didn't like, but building my current bike and buying this current fork has taught me a little bit about what to look for. Looking for advice vs validation? I wasn't looking for either, but thanks - I was actually more curious to discuss with other HT riders, what their experiences are like on local trails and what they ride/what they enjoy/might not enjoy.
Seriously tell me, why do I need to ride trails to find out what I want, when 90% of my riding is not on trails? You must have missed the part about biking for 20 years as well, as well as the part about how I've got experience on pretty much any type of bike, other than trials.
Would you really want to ride a 2000-3000$ full suspension bike everywhere if you were a cycle commuter? Would you trust leaving a decked out AM bike out and about downtown? Would you be happy with the loss of pedaling efficiency on 50-60km rides that are mostly road? If I need to ride some trails to figure it out, maybe you need to step in my shoes before you go off like a fucking asshole about it all, cut me up and generally make yourself look like an elitist fart sucker.
Oh and I guess everyone who types anything on this site doesn't know shit because they are sitting behind a computer instead of riding right? Maybe I don't have a couple thousand dollars yet to go dump on a bike, but hey, I bet you moved across the country recently too and had thousands of dollars to spare on luxury items.

May 5, 2015, 8:20 a.m.

:lol:

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 5, 2015, 8:58 a.m.

BusterB, is that you?

May 5, 2015, 9:36 a.m.

because it's fun.

A bike for life as in a bike that will be used for life things, not just trail riding - as in getting groceries, as in going downtown to meet up with people, getting to work, going fishing, going camping and yes riding one way 10km to work and back every day.

sounds like you want something like an xc hardtail, but it will limit you to some extent on the trails you can ride around here. you know, the trails you talked about riding in your very first post?

When did I say building my current HT taught me to remedy a FS bottoming out? I didn't, I was clearly saying that my old specialized bottomed out too much, which I didn't like, but building my current bike and buying this current fork has taught me a little bit about what to look for.

you mentioned something about bottoming out a shock which are typically found on the rear of a bike. i'm not familiar with the spesh bike you mentioned, but a shock usually indicates some sort of FS bike. here's the quote:

my only beef was I could bottom the shock out too easily, but after building my current bike I have a bit of a better idea of how to remedy that issue.

Looking for advice vs validation? I wasn't looking for either, but thanks - I was actually more curious to discuss with other HT riders, what their experiences are like on local trails and what they ride/what they enjoy/might not enjoy.

that's been asked and answered many times already.

Seriously tell me, why do I need to ride trails to find out what I want, when 90% of my riding is not on trails?

so wait, you want to ride trails or you don't? which is it? because you originally started this thread asking for info about trails and what it's like to ride a hardtail on them. the kind people around here, including me by the way, gave you numerous suggestions. if all you've ever done is jerked off to the ads in your mom's old copies of good housewife and chatelaine then how will you know whether you like having sex or what type of sex you even want to have. you've got to get out there and get balls deep into whatever hole looks interesting. the shore and riding in bc is kind of like that. until you actually experience it for yourself you can't really know what you want. but hey, if you want to go back to jerking off to mom's old magazines then have at er while paradise sits waiting for you with her legs open only a few km's away.

You must have missed the part about biking for 20 years as well, as well as the part about how I've got experience on pretty much any type of bike, other than trials.

wow that's really impressive considering you're only 25. all that experice on a tricyle when you were a child will really pay off when you want to ride trails on the shore. you get a blue ribbon and a cookie.

Would you really want to ride a 2000-3000$ full suspension bike everywhere if you were a cycle commuter? Would you trust leaving a decked out AM bike out and about downtown? Would you be happy with the loss of pedaling efficiency on 50-60km rides that are mostly road? If I need to ride some trails to figure it out, maybe you need to step in my shoes before you go off like a fucking asshole about it all, cut me up and generally make yourself look like an elitist fart sucker.

well if i had a dj hardtail already and 700c wheeled bike i wouldn't go out and buy a fs bike to use as a commuter. that's just common sense to me, ymmv. what i might do is set the hardtail up a bit better for commuting by changing out the tires. or, maybe put a wider tire on the road bike. i also might consider checking out the trails to see what they're like so i could figure out what my needs are before getting a third bike. being an elitist fart sucker is fun.

Oh and I guess everyone who types anything on this site doesn't know shit because they are sitting behind a computer instead of riding right? Maybe I don't have a couple thousand dollars yet to go dump on a bike, but hey, I bet you moved across the country recently too and had thousands of dollars to spare on luxury items.

ok, here's a brief synopsis.

you started this thread looking for advice on trails and riding a hardtail on those trails. you then got a number of experienced people giving you really good advice and lots of suggestions and a side track story about bringing your bike on transit - thank-you Duncan and boom. so you're asking for advice yet also telling us you don't need it because of all your experience on pretty much any type of bike. yet you've never actually ridden here so you don't really know what it's like to ride here. in essence you've told people to fuck off because they're not telling you what you want to hear and you don't need their advice anyway even though you asked for it.

if you're not going to spend a lot of time riding trails and don't have a lot of money to spend then put a front brake on your dj bike and be done with it. that or maybe buy a used xc hardtail for $500 and ride that 100% of the time while the other two bikes you already have that would serve commuting duty perfectly well (imo) sit and collect dust.

either way, there's no point in trying to help you anymore as you don't know what you want and what's worse you don't seem interested in finding out what you might want.

Ellen Langer