Plus Bikes for the Shore

May 15, 2016, 7:58 p.m.

The NSMB luddites will have a aneurism over this one.

wow, pretty damn thorough effort. i'm surprised by the results - but more surprised that the control casing tires lasted the 20 odd rides he put on them. the only factor i thought of that he didn't consider is the fox float performance 34 boost spec'd on the test bike. i found it performed a lot like a first generation ctd float 32, lacking any useful compression damping and having poor torsional and lateral rigidity. this may have amplified the sight advantage provided by the plus tires… but mostly i'm impressed he banged out that many laps in it without throwing it in a bin

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 16, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

I think it's going to be a couple of years before the manufacturers get the sizing/casing right/better for the more advanced rider.

:canada:

May 16, 2016, 9:32 a.m.

I'm going to try it on my Process 111. Not entirely sure how big a tire will fit (the internet shows a 2.8 with plenty of room). And with my fork bumped up to 140mm at the moment the drop in BB height with 27.5 will be a wash. Fork clearance might be an issue though….

I have a 2.8 wtb 27.5 tire on my satori, no problems at all, 3" would be close though at the casing. Same with the 140mm rs sektor fork. Bb height is about 13 1/4" static, just a hair lower than stock.

May 16, 2016, 10:37 a.m.

Steed have demo 6Fatties.

But I wouldn't recommend one if you don't like climbing stuff you haven't got near before, riding lines you've not thought of before, having a huge grip limit safety window, and generally having a bike that makes you laugh your ass offr.

How about smooth climbs like gsm? Or a few hours pedaling in the alice lake area? Do you notice any additional drag there?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 16, 2016, 12:39 p.m.

How about smooth climbs like gsm? Or a few hours pedaling in the alice lake area? Do you notice any additional drag there?

the plus bike i've ridden the most, the jones 29+, was fine going up gsm and the other climbs of that ilk. like a fat bike, it definitely feels like you're working to move the bike forward - but you're also working less to maintain traction on loose or punchy stuff that might otherwise cause you to spin out or slide, so its a bit of a push

haven't ridden a plus in squamish but i think it would be idea for the swollen-finger sized routes that litter a lot of the trails up there, especially the travers-y ones. think the connector to powerhouse plunge. feels like there's more drag, but again it evens out, somewhat

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 16, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

I read claims of it feeling like more drag…but the video there on the other page contradicts that in his gravel road rolling timed tests.

May 16, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

I think they're just as fast on smooth climbs as an equivalent weight 650b.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 19, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

I had a quick ride on the Rocky Mountain Pipeline on Seymour and rode it back to back with an Altitude and the Instinct BC ed. All were great bikes. Very impressed with traction on the Pipeline, I think it would be great for beginners and really marginal conditions. I can really see using the tire size for bike packing. I was also impressed with how light it felt. Little bit of drag but not boat anchors. That said it didn't feel all that playful and I had the most fun on the Altitude. I ended up buying an Altitude but in an ideal world I would have bought all three bikes and have the different vibes for different days.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"