NSMB Forum Testing: Ryders antiFOG Glasses

Nov. 24, 2015, 10:07 p.m.

I wear glasses when riding and I'm always trying different brands as I am constantly on the hunt for fog proof glasses. I've had a pair of these for a little while and I've jotted down some quick thoughts from first impressions to a conclusion down below:

Caliber Anti-fog Traction

First impressions:
• Industrial design is a subjective matter but overall I liked the semi-wrap around shield and the general aesthetics which are definitely skewed more towards function over fashion. They were even black.
• The build quality of the frame seemed stout and comparable to Smith frames that I have tried recently for NSMB.

Fit:
• Fit well with Smith Forefront and TLD A1
• I found that my field of view was pretty good given a heavy frame
• Maybe it is the shape of my melon but they didn't stay hooked over my ears very well. A quick shake of my head and they slipped down my nose fairly easily.
• Nose piece seemed to be designed for someone with a very broad nose. I don't have a large schnoz but it is definitely not flat or small. An articulated nose piece or more heavily dimpled nose piece would be a nice solve here.

On trail:
• I found myself constantly pushing the glasses back into place even on smooth trails.
• Hydrophobic qualities worked as advertised for the first month but soon after they definitely did not fear condensation or fog when the weather changed from damp to dank.
• I am a glasses wearer and the biggest issue for me was Optical distortion. Unless I was staring straight ahead I got massive headaches. Given that they kept slipping down my nose I was constantly removing them to shake out the cobwebs are pushing them back up my nose.
• Lenses became scratched and beat up within a months use which attracted more contaminates and fog. I always use the cloth bag so assume it was from constantly adjusting the glasses on my face and wiping out the fog.

Overall:
I can't recommend these due to fit and optical distortion.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Nov. 25, 2015, 6:39 a.m.

I guess from the sounds of it your main complaints are all related to the fit. I'm thinking when I get mine I'll make a point to not wipe the lenses and rather just rinse them in a creek or something to clear the mud/debris away vs wiping them.

Nov. 25, 2015, 7:04 p.m.

try the FACE then , they fit the ears better and don,t move around that much and work well with a fullface helmet

also are you using a RX lens ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 8, 2015, 10:01 a.m.

sooo - does this Forum testing project have legs still?

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Dec. 8, 2015, 10:24 a.m.

I missed this. I'm well past the deadline, but if you're still looking for reviewers I could get all sorts of nerdy, being not only a sweaty mountain biker, but also an optical engineer by trade…

Jan. 28, 2016, 10:11 a.m.

I've been riding the Strider Anti-Fog, clear lens for a bit so I can give a quick review.

- anti-fog is nothing special. These are about the worst conditions for keeping glasses clear, and these didn't seem to have any special abilities here. Wet warm days still result in fogging. They don't magically shed the water from the outside of the lens so they still require a wipe once in a while if it's coming down.

- They're a bit flimsy. The fit of the lenses in the frame is pretty loose, one of the lenses has fallen out while moving them from my face to the helmet. (Also, the lack of holes in Smith helmets is super irritating. Anyone wanna buy mine?)

- They're small. This isn't their fault, just something to be aware of. If you have a big face, get a bigger frame. Wind still slips by them, resulting in watery eyes, which is a bit of a bummer because this is why I wanted clear glasses for winter. My bad.

- The nose pieces are good - adjustable, sticky enough without being gross, easily adjustable.

In summary, it's hard to get clear glasses to stay clear under normal winter conditions here. I figured I'd try the new tech but I don't think it's worthwhile. I've had everything from $20 POS's to M-frames and now these fog up here so when I need new ones I won't bother spending the extra $$ and just get some $40 jobbies.

Jan. 28, 2016, 10:29 a.m.

My buddy is a Dragon rep. They just came out with these in the US (I don't think available in Canada) and he gave me a pair: http://www.dragonalliance.com/en-us/sunglasses/endurox-156005/720-2359-999

Look awesome. Transitions work great. Great lenses and vision. But these are close to $300 glasses and they fog up like a bitch. (unfog really fast when riding fast). I don't think anything works around here.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Jan. 28, 2016, 8:11 p.m.

I drank the Koolaid as well picked up some clear lens Thorns , I found they do have some antifog properties , have done 2 rides in the rain with them They suck at shedding water , I might try Rain X and see if that helps , if they shed water better I would wear them full time .

Fit wise they are comfortable when climbing for duration , and when trail riding and descending they stay in place . Antifog or not I will wear them when I ride they breath better than my Face versions . All goes well I will log some more miles with them on and share some thought after trying RainX .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 22, 2016, 10:01 a.m.

sooo - does this Forum testing project have legs still?

Little pause in the action but this will be happening. Stay tuned.

Feb. 22, 2016, 10:02 a.m.

I missed this. I'm well past the deadline, but if you're still looking for reviewers I could get all sorts of nerdy, being not only a sweaty mountain biker, but also an optical engineer by trade…

Go ahead and toss in an application. If you don't get selected this time it's always good to have shown interest for the future.

Feb. 22, 2016, 7:21 p.m.

update on my Thorn's , still happy for the most part , one issue I just noticed is when closed the ear hooks rub on the lens and scratch the crap out of them so something too consider

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 15, 2016, 11 a.m.

Bumping this because after a hiatus/delay due to an actual winter, this is happening in Springtime instead. Revised deadline for applications is March 27th. Get 'em in!

June 8, 2016, 9:34 a.m.

This is happening. Looking for one more tester, maybe two. Act fast and there's still time to participate in the antiFOG forum testing with Ryders.

June 8, 2016, 12:58 p.m.

1. What eyewear do you currently use when you ride (goggles, glasses) and for what kind of riding? When I use eyewear, I use Ryders Face glasses, clear lens, non-antifog version. Most of the time I ride without eyewear.

2. Have you had any experience with Ryders eyewear? See above. I currently own Ryders Face glasses. This is my first pair of Ryders.

3. Are fogged up glasses a problem for you when riding? Yes.

4. Where do you live and ride? I live in Vancouver and ride year-round, mostly in Coastal BC.

5. Sample Review:

I have owned my Ryders Face glasses for about a month now and have put them through some solid test conditions. Although I was intrigued by the antifog version, only the regular version was available at the Ryders sample sale. For the price, I figured there wasn’t much to lose.

The Ryders Face glasses appear well-made, are comfortable to wear and provide ample coverage. The hinges seem sturdy and they don’t slip off my nose. Unlike most other cycling glasses, which are quite technical and nerdy, usually with small, rimless lenses, the Ryders Face are more casual in design, with lenses large enough for current trends, and thick black lenses. Main Street hipsters wouldn’t quite approve, but these are as close as it gets for cycling glasses.

A quick lunchtime pic of my Ryders Face glasses, snapped at my desk on their date of purchase. Almost hipster-approved.

Although mine have clear lenses, there is a slight loss of visible light transmission compared to not wearing glasses. My first ride with them was in the evening, after work. In difficult light close to dusk, riding in and out of shadows, I found I had greater difficulty seeing in darker areas than without the glasses.

While most of the time, I don’t find the need to wear glasses while riding, my Ryders Face have mainly come out in enduro racing situations, where debris in my eyes could cost me time. Once moving, the glasses are comfortable and clear, and I don’t notice them on my face. In order to avoid fogging, my preferred technique is to only put the glasses on as close to starting my run as possible. Airflow prevents condensation, but standing around sweaty with the glasses on is a recipe for trouble. When I’m really sweaty, the glasses will start to fog when I put them on, but clear up within seconds of rolling.

Giving the Ryders Face glasses the enduro test (Scott Robarts photo)

I was also excited for eye protection on sloppy days. After a proper testing on a cold day where a kayak would have been more appropriate than a mountain bike, I quickly learned that the regular version of the Ryders Face will let me down when I need them most. After cresting the Good Sir Martin climb, I took a moment to collect myself, threw the glasses on and immediately dropped into John Deer, a newly-worked high-speed flow trail. I noticed splatters of mud on the lenses, indicating the glasses were doing their job of protecting my eyes. However, I slowly began to lose vision of the splatters and of the trail as the glasses fogged heavily. No amount of speed or airflow could keep the lenses clear in these terrible conditions.

A terrible day for a bike ride, but a great day to test the limits of clear glasses (Source: The Weather Network)

I am keen to test the antifog version of the Ryders Face in the hope that they remedy the regular version’s shortcomings, fogging in bad weather conditions. Ryders has done an excellent job with fit, construction and styling on these glasses, and effective antifog lenses would complete the package.

June 10, 2016, 10:20 p.m.

I've been "eyeing" up this Forum Test Thread since it started.
Unfortunately, I'm a daily lurker that posts very little if at all. And, I purchased an AntiFog pair of glasses from Ryders directly off their website in August 2015. However, I think their newer frames might solve some of the issues I'm having with the current frames I have.
Also I know that I'm late to the party with my response. Oh well, the worse you can tell me is I don't make the cut so here goes…

1. What eyewear do you currently use when you ride (goggles, glasses) and for what kind of riding?
I wear Ryders Thorn AntiFog photo-chromatic yellow lens frames for pedal riding and Oakley Airbrake goggles for park riding.

2. Have you had any experience with Ryders eyewear?
Yes. I Enjoy the fit of the Thorn frame so much that after I bought the AntiFog pair I bought the polarised sunny lens pair for everyday use off the bike.

3. Are fogged up glasses a problem for you when riding?
YES! A HUGE PROBLEM!!!!!

4. Where do you live and ride?
Whistler is home and I ride everywhere from Squamish to Pemberton. I also do regular Fall trips South of the borer to Washington state and further.

5. "Mini" Review of the Lezyne Super GPS

Here's an update initial review of a gps cycling computer that I just posted to an MTBR forum. It is definitely more than 300 words but I feel that it represents what I can contribute to this forum of testers if I am allowed the chance.

….
Here's an update after 2 and half weeks of riding with the Super GPS.
Think of this as an initial impression.

I've had 11 rides; 3 of which I tracked separately with the Super GPS and my S6 phone using Strava.

Tracking Values
There are differences in some of the numbers but not so big that it concerns me. The biggest difference is with the maximum elevation and total distance. Strava always has the higher values. The biggest difference in elevation was about 80m (262ft) and between 50m to 200m (164ft - 656ft) in distance.
I know that over time the difference in distance will add up to a large difference. However, I'm not concerned. I'm not using this for training just as data collection to nerd out over.

The other difference is how the Super GPS manages stopped time versus riding time. It doesn't. However, when I upload the data to Strava then the times are separated properly.
I did try to pause the recording every time I stopped for a break or longer than a couple o minutes. But inevitably I would forget to start the unit again. It also caused me to add lap splits because I would forget to long press to pause the recording sometimes. After trying to remember to pause and restart the unit on a couple of rides I'll just leave it to run even when I take a break. And I'll let Strava sort it out in the wash when I upload the ride data.

On the rides that I used both my phone with Strava and the Super GPS at the same time there wasn't really any major differences in the values. They were about the same as when I used only the Super GPS and then uploaded the data to Strava.

It would seem that the differences come from how Lezyne GPS Root and Strava process the data.

Sensors - Compatability?
I am looking into getting a speed sensor but it's not a priority.
The sensor that has piqued my curiosity is the Garmin speed sensor that attaches to your bike's hub.
My two concerns are whether it will fit around my hub because I have eThirteen hubs that are huge in diameter! And, I'm unsure if the unit will connect with the Super GPS even though they both run on ANT+.

Overall I'm happy with how the Super GPS works.

Menu
Using the menu is a little challenging at times because of the amount of scrolling you need to do. Although, I haven't really needed to dive into the menu now that I have everything set up.
My biggest complaint is remembering to long press to stop my recordings. My last couple of rides I've forgotten to do that. That is more user error rather than the unit though. Still it's a pain because I'm adding a lap split to my recording even if I'm adding no extra data.

Connectivity
The connectivity to your phone is straight forward using Bluetooth. You do need to have the Ally app open on your phone for the Super GPS to connect properly. The ability to see your messages, emails and calls is cool but I don't use it. I carry my phone in my pocket so have easy access to it. Also I don't need to be reading texts while riding.
Initially the Ally app wouldn't show a detailed map once my ride was uploaded to my phone. But there has been a recent update to the app and now the map screen will load.

Lezyne website - GPS Root
The Lezyne site is easy to use. It is similar to how Strava's site is layed out. I do like the Lezyne site better because it does a better job of presenting the data in one spot.
The Lezyne GPS Root maps for my area have some of the older well established trails marked but not any of the newer trails that have popped up in the last few years. I'm not using this unit or these maps to route plan so it's not a concern to me. It's just something to note.
The terrain based map is more detailed in topography than Strava's or Google's maps which is nice. The relief and shading has more detail.

Battery
Battery life is good so far. I'm still running it off of the first charge from when I bought it. It's currently sitting at 45% after two and a half weeks and eleven rides. As well as all my fiddling with it just figuring it out.

Screen
The screen visibility is good in all light conditions that I've been riding in (sunny, in and out of trees, raining/cloudy). I don't need the use of the backlight.
I have the screen setup with the full 4 lines of data showing. I was concerned that it might too busy to be able to read at a glance but that's not the case. When I'm riding I'm really only interested in what my speed is and current ride distance are. And, when I stop for breaks I can look at more info if I like.
[ATTACH]11200[/ATTACH]

Satellite Acquisition and Signal Strength
The Super GPS is quite quick in picking up satellites from the time I turn it on. So far it has been under a minute when waiting for a satellite acquisition.
And, I've yet to have the unit drop a connection.
Under trees it seems to work well. I do notice that sometimes my actual speed is faster than what is listed on the unit when in the trees. However, when looking at the map after I've uploaded my ride the track is more or less spot on with the trails that I was riding.
I live and ride in Whistler. Which is in the Coast Mountain range of Southern BC. Lots of dense tree/forest and mountains to get in the way but as I said I haven't had any major issues with acquiring a satellite signal and keeping it for the duration of the ride.

Attachment to Bike
The attachment to the bike is secure. I'm using the direct handlebar mount with the rubber bands that are provided. I picked up an extra mount for my other mountain bike so that it's easy to use the unit on both bikes.
[ATTACH]11201[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]11202[/ATTACH]

The Super GPS does sit up a bit high on the bars. But not so much that it's seriously exposed in the event of a crash. Realistically if you're crashing in a way the the bars are upside down I think you have more to worry about than the condition of the unit!
The thing that you need to be careful about is f you turn your bike upside down for a trailside repair. On my bikes the unit does come in contact with the ground when my bikes are flipped over. The unit just touches the ground but doesn't have the weight of the bike on it. If I had my bike flipped on uneven or rocky terrain I would have to be mindful of removing the Super GPS before flipping the bike over.
[ATTACH]11203[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]11204[/ATTACH]

In summary.
The user for the Lezyne Super GPS would be someone who is looking to collect data on their rides. And not someone who is looking for turn for turn navigation.
It is minimalist and holds a charge for multiple days. It has ease of connectivity so that you can have multiple sensors in use (although, I have yet to try that) and it is easy to upload/sync your rides through your phone using the Ally app using Bluetooth.

As I said I'm happy with how the Super GPS works. It ticked all the boxes for what I need it to do and, so far, it has been doing that.

EDIT - Sorry, I can't seem to embed my pictures.