NSMB - 2012 Light ?? Bike Build Off 6.3"-7.1"

May 21, 2012, 2:11 p.m.

Its not really AM, or FR, or DH so it doesn't really fit in the other build off threads. But the build turned out pretty rad so here it is:

Frame: 2012 NomadC, large, 160mm travel
Shock: RS Monarch Plus, 2 x 2mm offset cro-mo bushings
Headset; CC Angleset, 1.5 degrees slacker
Fork: RS Totem Solo Air, 180mm travel
Fr Whl: Flow rim on Hope Pro2, Minion F 2.5 EXO, Conti tube
Rr Whl: Crossmax SX, High Roller 2 2.4 EXO, Conti tube
Cranks: SLX 175mm, 32t ring or 36t for bike parks
Chain: 10sp Shimano
Cassette: 10sp SLX, 11-36
Rr Der: XTR Shadow Plus
Shifter: SLX
Chainguide: MRP Mini G2 SL, modified
Pedals; MG1 until Spike pedals arrive
Brakes: Code R, 200 front, 180 rear
Seat: something roadish, ti rails
Seatpost: FSA carbon 350mm
Stem: FSA Gravity light, 45mm
Bar: Enve DH, cut to 785mm
Grips: ODI lock-on

Weight: 30.4 on a digital bathroom scale, pic here :lol:

This is my 'big' bike this year - for shuttles (that I don't really do), bike parks (that I don't ride anymore), and Fromme (which generally doesn't require a bike this big). But overall, its turning out to be a hell of a lot of fun on anything other than a full-on XC ride.

The geo is fairly modified. With the Totem, the Angleset at -1.5, and a pair of 2mm offset bushings, the HA is slacked out to just under 65 degrees and the BB drops from 14.5" to 14.125". Its still not particularly low but I'm gonna throw on some thin pedals and stop there.

The Shadow Plus derailleurs rock. I absolutely hated the chainguide drag from the lower pulley so the I hacked that shit off when the Shadow plus RD arrived. With the clutch 'on', I have no problems with dropped chains and it pedals nice and smooth and silent. Now all I hear is the damper, tires, and freehub. So nice.

The jury is still out on the Monarch Plus.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 21, 2012, 2:24 p.m.

mis-matched wheels… tut tut… :eek:

Looks like fun, but I can't help thinking that it's amazing how just a couple years ago this would be a "little" bike for a lot of people, and now in the online bike nerd universe it's some sort of elephantine behemoth of a bike for riding Fromme.

whatev, I rode Pipeline and Bobsled on my DH bike the other day, and I pushed up the road. go rip it up! :rocker:

Check my stuff for sale!

May 21, 2012, 2:37 p.m.

This is my 'big' bike this year - for shuttles (that I don't really do), bike parks (that I don't ride anymore), and Fromme (which generally doesn't require a bike this big). But overall, its turning out to be a hell of a lot of fun on anything other than a full-on XC ride.

So what do you ride with this bike if you don't shuttle or ride the park? Can you pedal this up Fromme? Cypress? Push up and ride down? I kinda did the same thing with my Truax. Made a pedally freeride bike into a mini-dh sled. I don't ride up with it at all with a single 36t ring and a chain guide and no seatpost. But like you said, it sure is a lot of fun on the way down.

Bike now has a Boxxer on it. No scale weight but it isn't light.

Shed head!

May 21, 2012, 3:54 p.m.

whatev, I rode Pipeline and Bobsled on my DH bike the other day, and I pushed up the road. go rip it up! :rocker:

Here here!

May 21, 2012, 4:15 p.m.

you sir, have hit the nail on the head with this bike

May 21, 2012, 5:24 p.m.

Nice, I love my Nomad with a 180mm fork which puts it around 66 degrees..can't imagine going much slacker :eek:
How much sag do you run on the rear shock?

May 21, 2012, 7:10 p.m.

So what do you ride with this bike if you don't shuttle or ride the park? Can you pedal this up Fromme? Cypress? Push up and ride down? I kinda did the same thing with my Truax. Made a pedally freeride bike into a mini-dh sled. I don't ride up with it at all with a single 36t ring and a chain guide and no seatpost. But like you said, it sure is a lot of fun on the way down.

Bike now has a Boxxer on it. No scale weight but it isn't light.

But if you are building a "Mini" DH bike with the intentions of not making it pedallable at all… what are you gaining over building an actual DH bike?

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

May 21, 2012, 7:25 p.m.

But if you are building a "Mini" DH bike with the intentions of not making it pedallable at all… what are you gaining over building an actual DH bike?

Mark

I dunno, ask anyone who owns a TR250. Thre are benefits to having a smaller bike with different geometry to a full-blown DH bike. This bike was a situational build (meaning due to an existing parts kit and a great deal on the frame I built this bike), I'm now realizing that although the Truax does work as a "mini" DH bike, there are a few downsides which are making me rethink the need to keep this bike as is. Basically this is a freeride bike with a DH fork on it. The fact that I have made it so I couldn't pedal it up made it sort of redundant because I also have a very capable descender in a Norco Range. Wanted to try after seeing a bunch of Ontario guys putting Boxxers on their Truaxs. Works just fine here in BC too but I'm feeling the need to get an actual DH frame. I do have a line on a proper DH frame which I will be swapping soon.

Shed head!

May 21, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

I've got a rocky mountain Slayer built up with 10spd XT, Saint Cranks/MRP G2 Guide, Atlas Fr Flatbar, Stans ZTR Flow Rims/XT Hubs, Saint Brakes, Fox Float RC2/RP2, and a reverb.

That shit's sick for everything. Not winning XC races, or DH races, but I can ride it all. You don't need a granny gear for most things, although we'll see what I start riding more of, it may become beneficial.

May 21, 2012, 10:13 p.m.

looks pretty bad ass bryce

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 22, 2012, 2:29 a.m.

Interesting. How does it feel with a Totem on the front? What does it make it angles wise [HTML_REMOVED] BB height now?

I'm seriously tempted right now to sell my DH bike (again) due to a serious lack of use [HTML_REMOVED] pick up a Totem for my Nomad to chuck on for racing DH, Alpine trips etc. I've got a spare wheelset already so can leave the DH tyres on them so it would be a quick changearound to swap a set of forks [HTML_REMOVED] wheels.

The only thing putting me off is the state of UK uplifts - my DH bike is old [HTML_REMOVED] battlescared now, my Nomad will get wrecked on them - which will p*ss me off!

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

May 22, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

So what do you ride with this bike if you don't shuttle or ride the park? Can you pedal this up Fromme? Cypress? Push up and ride down?

I just prop it up in the living room and stare at it. J/k, I ride all over the locals with it and might even hit some bike parks this year. Climbing is easy (unless its super steep) and it feels great descending.

May 22, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

How much sag do you run on the rear shock?

pretty standard 30-35%

May 22, 2012, 12:41 p.m.

Interesting. How does it feel with a Totem on the front? What does it make it angles wise [HTML_REMOVED] BB height now?

I'm seriously tempted right now to sell my DH bike (again) due to a serious lack of use [HTML_REMOVED] pick up a Totem for my Nomad to chuck on for racing DH, Alpine trips etc. I've got a spare wheelset already so can leave the DH tyres on them so it would be a quick changearound to swap a set of forks [HTML_REMOVED] wheels.

Around 65 degrees up front, BB at 14.125". I haven't noticed the travel mismatch.

Like spinach said (rad bike too btw), it won't win any DH races but for alpine trips it would be perfect. I wish I'd had this bike in the alps last year.

However, a lot of the light feel comes from the single ply tires. I had dual plies to begin with and I was surprised to find that it didn't feel much lighter than my previous Driver 8, which was about 38-39 lbs. Rotational weight is a crucial balance between weight and grip.

May 22, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

Man, that looks fun! Nice steed!