New Bike Rack - NSR4 or Hang5

March 26, 2013, 4:35 p.m.

Good choice! Way to support local business.:rocker:

Yes, I did get a rack. I started with getting the Hang5 from Softride. I ordered it through MEC after verifying that I could return should it not work for my requirements. My thinking was simple. I had already seen NSR4 rack around and knew it would work, but wanted to see the Hang5 in person to see if it was perhaps a better rack. So, as I said, I started with the Hang5

Rack came in a few days later and was picked up from MEC in two fairly large and heavey boxes. Putting it together was relatively easy with the help from my 8 yr old son. After building the rack and folding it up and down a couple of times I realized this was not the rack for me. I it heavy and larger than it looked in the pictures. Also once it is folded down it is still huge, sticking out about 3 feet from the bumper. Might have been because it was new but it was too hard moving back an forth from normal to layback position. My wife wouldn't have been able to use. It would be a good rack for someone with a large vehicle with really good ground clearance that will not be folding or unfolding the rack often.

After several emails between myself and Alison and Malcom from North Shore Racks I went and picked up my new NSR4. Arrived at their place rack was assembled and ready to be installed. A couple of installation and loading tips and I was on my way. Alison was happy to hear of my comparison on the Hang5 and the resulting choice of the NSR4.

I am out on the island now, so pictures will have to wait until I get home. We took over both kids 24" wheeled bikes along with mine and the wife's. All bikes loaded easily and were steady on the rack.

After looking into pretty much every rack out there, I am quite certain I ended up with the best rack available.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 15, 2014, 8:01 a.m.

Had my NSR-4 for quite a while now, and aside from the forks on my kids bike being a little tight the bike rack has worked well. Getting into regular forks now, so no issue anymore.

Picked up a second vehicle and was limited to a 2-bike rack with the 1 1/4 receiver, NSR-2 was out of stock at the time I was looking to get a bike rack, so I went with a Swagman. It has been good and relatively easy to use. Still wish I had got the NSR-2, but willing to live with the Swagman.

Last week I using the vehicle with the NSR-4 on it and was pleasantly reminded how nice and easy to use the NSR-4 is to load / unload. Was taking the rack off to haul some material and had an issue with the key on the hitch pin. I called up Malcom (sp ?) at North Shore Racks, who despite the short notice fixed everything up for me and my NSR-4 rack.

This is just a shout out for North Shore Racks for their great product and great customer service. Thanks, much appreciated !!!

Dec. 15, 2014, 9:08 a.m.

I've been running an NSR-4 for years and it isn't a perfect rack. For highway travel it works rather well with only minimal chances for fork on fork and bike on bike rub. We're talking two 40s rubbing at the end of the fork and/or pedals smacking around downtubes or stays. Where the NSR-4 is an issue is on logging roads, although I believe its failings will apply to any vertical hanging bike rack.

When the road gets rough the rack starts moving - a lot! Mine is bolted down and I have a good anti-sway in the hitch. Wheel mount like the 1Up or Thule's setup won't have this problem. However, any 4-bike tray rack is a lot of rack on the back of a vehicle. I would see these causing problems with rough roads when crossing water bars, etc.

Ultimately, if you're talking paved roads a vertical rack is good, but I'd look to a wheel mount one like the Swagman rather than the NSR-4. If you're going to be on rough roads and can manage the length I'd go with a 1Up. The 4 bike 1Up steps up which not only keeps bars from rubbing seats but also improves your vehicle's ability to cross tight spots.

I'm seriously considering going to a "2 off the back, 2 in the box" given the beatings all bikes take on my NSR-4.

Dec. 15, 2014, 12:55 p.m.

Almost pointless talking about it, but the Arbutus rack still ranks #1 for me. If you ever come across a used one, buy because there are only 25 around.

Excuse the "truck" pictures, they come with the rack.

Dec. 15, 2014, 1:09 p.m.

Almost pointless talking about it, but the Arbutus rack still ranks #1 for me. If you ever come across a used one, buy because there are only 25 around.

Excuse the "truck" pictures, they come with the rack.

What happened to these racks?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 15, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

What happened to these racks?

The builder (Strahan on here) did a small pilot run of BC built racks. I believe the fabrication and painting all came from the mainland. I also think it was a learning exercise for him more than a business venture.

Dec. 15, 2014, 2:35 p.m.

I ended up getting the Hang 5 from MEC last year. The rack itself was easy to use but I would not recommend buying one. As mentioned above it a massive heavy rack that sticks a long way out. I shuttle FSR's a bit and ended up breaking the top plate. MEC\Softride replaced it with a beefed up version. After one day of fsr shuttling I could see stress cracks forming again in the same place. So I returned it to MEC for a full refund. These racks just can't stand up to heavy use.

So I ended up getting another NSR4 despite my rant against them in this thread. For the money I couldn't find another rack that fit my needs. The newer version is improved and I'm enjoying it.

Dec. 15, 2014, 3:36 p.m.

Rat Racks out of Calgary look very similar to the Arbutus above. I don't know if Richard is going to keep making the racks or not. Sometimes he's doing it, then he's not, then he is, etc, etc.

Rat Racks are a wheel holding version of the NSR but I'm not convinced they are as strong as the NSR.

Dec. 15, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

Rat Racks out of Calgary look very similar to the Arbutus above. I don't know if Richard is going to keep making the racks or not. Sometimes he's doing it, then he's not, then he is, etc, etc.

Rat Racks are a wheel holding version of the NSR but I'm not convinced they are as strong as the NSR.

The Calgary riders seem to like them, and they put alot of miles on their trucks and racks.

Dec. 15, 2014, 5:28 p.m.

I picked up an nsr4 this spring and it's been great.

Of course, I bought a truck two months later and used the rack less but as I have a folding tonneau that only lets me carry 2 bikes at most I'm keeping the nsr4 for bigger groups or the family rides.

Great racks and locally made which is a bonus. As far as off road goes I find strapping the bikes down good and tight and using the anti slop lock keeps movemtn down.

Dec. 15, 2014, 6:53 p.m.

I'll grab a picture later, but a u-bolt with a plate across the top that cinches down the rack against the bottom of the hitch is the way to go to eliminate movement at the hitch.

Dec. 16, 2014, 9:18 a.m.

As far as off road goes I find strapping the bikes down good and tight and using the anti slop lock keeps movemtn down.

I have both a NSR4 [HTML_REMOVED] NSR6 and use straps from the bumper to the rack to take out the play at the pin above the hinge.

When driving rough off road (water bars, wash board, pot holes) I tie the bikes on to the rack around the fork crown for extra insurance.

Dec. 16, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

I'll grab a picture later, but a u-bolt with a plate across the top that cinches down the rack against the bottom of the hitch is the way to go to eliminate movement at the hitch.

Both of mine use the bolted connection to hold the rack to the hitch.

Dec. 16, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

Interested in seeing this. We have tried shims, wedges but always get some slop which then forces shims out of position…

Dec. 16, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

The Calgary riders seem to like them, and they put alot of miles on their trucks and racks.

Calgary riders also have tales of seeing them snap
:shhh:

If you have a pickup with a tonneau that you can drill an option is to bolt down a few fork mounts and call it a day.