New Bike Rack - NSR4 or Hang5

March 6, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

Good day, wanted to get some feedback on a new bike rack.

Have pretty much narrowed it down to the NSR4 and a Softride Hang5. Both carry the bikes in a similar manner behind the vehicle with the NSR4 holding by the fork crown and the Hang5 by the handlebar.

I know the NSR4 is an excellent rack and see lots of the all over Vancouver. I wouldn't have even entertained looking at another rack if it wasn't for the carrying limitations of the NSR4. No road bikes, not really an issue as we don't have any road bikes, and won't likely any time soon.

The issue is with fenders, I have added the Mucky Nuts fender on my bikes and really like it. Additionally, both mine and the wife's commuters bikes (XC bikes with slicks) have fenders. Fenders and the NSR do not play nice.

Has anyone seen one of the Hang5 rack in person. MEC is selling $449 vs NSR4 at $550. Both racks seem to be the best of the best. Comments

NSR4 - http://northshoreracks.com/NSR%204-bike.htm

Softride Hang5 - http://www.softride.com/rack-products/specifications/softride_hang5_bike_rack

MEC link: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/CarRacksBikeBoxes/PRD~5033-061/softride-hang-5-rear-receiver-rack.jsp

March 6, 2013, 11:24 a.m.

Bikes hang off the NSR on their fork crown; if I understand mucky nuts they are mounted to the arch so you shouldn't have any issues with that. If your commuters have fenders without suspension forks i.e. the fenders are mounted to the fork crown you might have issues. In saying that, I'm able to hang my city bike by the bars on my NSR4 without much worry in town, though I've only done it a couple times since it's my, uh, town bike.

In terms of quality, I picked up an NSR4 in the fall. I'd seen them around, but until I opened the brand new one in the box, I didn't realize just how solid and well made they are.

No experience/comments re Softride

March 6, 2013, 11:30 a.m.

Bikes hang off the NSR on their fork crown; if I understand mucky nuts they are mounted to the arch so you shouldn't have any issues with that. If your commuters have fenders without suspension forks i.e. the fenders are mounted to the fork crown you might have issues. In saying that, I'm able to hang my city bike by the bars on my NSR4 without much worry in town, though I've only done it a couple times since it's my, uh, town bike…

doh, yes of course that makes sense. Went back on NSR site and at least the fender part will work. Interestingly enough, I emailed to Alison at NSR to ask if a bike could be held by the bars on the NSR4 racks. Waiting to hear a response back.

March 6, 2013, 11:31 a.m.

As you have likely discovered: there is no perfect rack. It would really depend on the type of terrain you plan on using the rack on. The NS rack pounds the shit out of forks and sometimes rear dropouts once you leave the pavement. I imagine that the Softride would RAPE a carbon handlebar as well, nevermind the pretty Chromag bars. However perhaps not? I do not have a definitive answer on that.

One other rack you should check out is 1up usa. Bad ass rack but definitely more $$$. Only touches your tires though. I have had one for two years and it is going strong.

http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikrackblackdouble.html

March 6, 2013, 11:47 a.m.

…One other rack you should check out is 1up usa. Bad ass rack but definitely more $$$. Only touches your tires though. I have had one for two years and it is going strong.

http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikrackblackdouble.html

Would tend to agree with you on trade-offs. No one rack checks every box. Haven't heard too much in terms of issues with fork damage on the NSR setup. The Hang5 looks to be okay as well as the hooks are rubber covered like the NSR.

A friend has the Yakima version similar to the 1UP and thinks it is great and for two bikes it is. By the time you add the +2 bike setup it is massive and definitely more expensive. I need a rack that can be used for 3 or 4 bikes. My current rack works but doesn't handle non-standard frame shapes that well and is a pain to get my kids bikes on.

At least there are choices out there.

March 6, 2013, 12:17 p.m.

making it happen!

March 6, 2013, 12:19 p.m.

I am going to suggest the Swagman Jackknife… vertical rack with no frame contact… this is the one I will be using. Its available in 2 or 4 bike versions. Its based on the Arbutus vertical hitch rack formerly designed and assembled in Victoria.

http://www.swagman.net/products/vertical-hitch-racks/jackknife-2-63450-new-available-march-2013/

http://www.swagman.net/products/vertical-hitch-racks/jackknife-4-63460-new-available-march-2013/

March 6, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

I am going to suggest the Swagman Jackknife…

I saw that one as well, it looks great. Again the issue is with fenders on the front wheel. Not certain it would accommodate them well or would perhaps break them. Also it is available starting in April. I am going to be without a bike rack as of tonight. Need to have something in place a little earlier. Although it doesn't specifically say, but it looks like it might not work for 24" wheeled bikes, which I have for my boys. So that also puts it out of the picture.

I have ordered the Hang5 from MEC. MEC has an excellent return policy, so if it does not work for our bikes or vehicle I can return it. At which point I would likely get the NSR4. I will take some pictures and advise on how it works out once I receive the rack.

March 6, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

The NS rack pounds the shit out of forks and sometimes rear dropouts once you leave the pavement.

Mine wears the paint off the crown where the rubber tubes contacts, but "pounds the shit out of forks…"? What damage have you seen?

Also curious about the "…sometimes rear dropouts once you leave the pavement."

When I'm off roading with bikes on the rack I add extra straps to hold the bikes on, but what damage are you seeing on the rear dropouts?

I have an NSR-6 (with lots of rough miles on it) and recently bought a used NSR-4 for another vehicle.

~~~~~

For the OP, one way to deal with fenders on the racks that mount by the crown is to use the SKS fenders with the quick release although I've recently installed the Mucky Nuts fenders on a couple of bikes.

March 6, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

We bought a NSR-4 three years ago and while it's an ok rack I personally wouldn't buy one again for a few reasons.
1. It's a pain in the ass getting a tapered headtube in and out of it. The prongs are to close together and the bike gets wedged in. Although they may have fixed this problem in newer models.
2. The rubber that covers the prongs quite often slides up when driving on rough roads. This has left my crown with gouges where it was metal on metal. Also a couple of the rubber pieces have actually worn through.
3. There is a lot of play in the system and the bikes rack bounces around a lot when driving logging roads. This could be remedied by bolting everything but then you would never be able to fold it down.

As far as road bikes… we are able to put to roadies backwards hanging by the bars. Works decently enough.

Anyway thats my insight the NSR. I know most people on this site probably don't agree.

March 6, 2013, 2:55 p.m.

1. It's a pain in the ass getting a tapered headtube in and out of it. The prongs are to close together and the bike gets wedged in. Although they may have fixed this problem in newer models.
2. The rubber that covers the prongs quite often slides up when driving on rough roads. This has left my crown with gouges where it was metal on metal. Also a couple of the rubber pieces have actually worn through.
3. There is a lot of play in the system and the bikes rack bounces around a lot when driving logging roads. This could be remedied by bolting everything but then you would never be able to fold it down.

1. Never had a problem with tapered head tubes bikes on my rack, maybe yours was tight. It is relatively easy to bend the prongs to what ever fit you need. A 3/4" pipe about 18" long works.
2. The rubber covers are to be glued in place. They do wear out on rough roads though, you need to use the same hose they use when new. Gas line and similar wear out very quickly. Contact NSR for replacement hose to replace worn covers.
3. I agree, I use extra straps to stop the loaded rack from moving around when on rough/gravel roads.

March 6, 2013, 3 p.m.

Mine wears the paint off the crown where the rubber tubes contacts, but "pounds the shit out of forks…"? What damage have you seen.

Also curious about the "…sometimes rear dropouts once you leave the pavement."

When I'm off roading with bikes on the rack I add extra straps to hold the bikes on, but what damage are you seeing on the rear dropouts?

I have an NSR-6 (with lots of rough miles on it) and recently bought a used NSR-4 for another vehicle.

Just as you said, the crowns get the paint worn off and sometimes gouged.

As for the dropouts, on rough roads the rear tire fasteners can/will come loose and knock knock knock against the other bikes. Happened to me on my first day on my V10C :crybaby:. Sounds like you have jerry rigged a solution however.

For shuttle days I prefer no rack at all. My pickup with a tail gate pad(with extra padding) and rear tire spacer tray makes for easy loading and tons of capacity with no rapage. However the same cannot be said for most tail gate pad systems. For pedalling days I take the car with the rack.

No one solution to fit every need.

March 6, 2013, 3:01 p.m.

Do anyone think that securing the bike by the handlebars like the Hang5 does could or would cause fatigue on the handlebars?

March 6, 2013, 3:03 p.m.

I am going to suggest the Swagman Jackknife… vertical rack with no frame contact… this is the one I will be using. Its available in 2 or 4 bike versions. Its based on the Arbutus vertical hitch rack formerly designed and assembled in Victoria.

http://www.swagman.net/products/vertical-hitch-racks/jackknife-2-63450-new-available-march-2013/

http://www.swagman.net/products/vertical-hitch-racks/jackknife-4-63460-new-available-march-2013/

GladePlayboy: Do you know if the Jackknife 2 will fit 2 DH bikes w/40mm forks like Fox 40s or Monster Ts? The trays look awful close together. I sent Swagman that ? [HTML_REMOVED] haven't received an answer yet…..

March 6, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

Nsr4 here. I've never problems with damage to frame or crown in the few seasons I've had mine. There defiantly is some slop in due to the pins that allow you to fold it down.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.