Broken SRAM derailleur?

July 20, 2015, 12:47 p.m.

I've had some trouble breaking what I'm calling the backplate on my X01 DH 7spd dérailleur. One broke riding yesterday, I managed to replace it, but it broke again on the first run. The guys in the shop said they've seen dozens broken this year but my googling hasn't turned up anything. Is this common? Is there a fix/upgrade? The bike is a new carbon Auruum

Sustainable will be around forever.

July 20, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

One of they guys who wrenches at the bike and bean told me it happens a lot.

July 20, 2015, 4:37 p.m.

I have same derailleur does yours actually stay attached? The main bolt to the hangar comes loose constantly, red loc tite and pipe tape didn't help :(. That plate seems to be a weak material, the part that the b tension screw presses on was wearing away on mine, just swapped one from an old broken x9.

'the fix' in Whistler has made some custom b tension plates they claim are unbreakable, should be the solution to your problem

July 21, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

I might be wrong, but I think this could this be caused by a chain that's just a bit too short for the bike (stretching the derailleur out too much at bottom out)? Or a B-screw that's set too far in? Or a combination of both? In all my years on various Sram derailleurs, I've never had this happen. If this is happening on your first ride, sounds like something might be wrong with your setup.

July 21, 2015, 10:29 a.m.

I constantly have to tighten my X01DH.

Nice find from the fix. gonna grab one.

July 21, 2015, 11:50 a.m.

nice find! I just bent mine and one of my riding buddies has broken many. Apparently issue hasn't been fixed yet by SRAM.

:canada:

July 21, 2015, 12:19 p.m.

Seems like my 7spd Saint is a way cheaper/better option ;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 21, 2015, 10:13 p.m.

I constantly have to tighten my X01DH.

Nice find from the fix. gonna grab one.

So it's a ghetto fix but I put two small zip ties through the bolt and it's held for two 3 hour evenings in the park so far. Time will tell if it's a solution lol.

July 27, 2015, 9:09 p.m.

I have used both the X01DH 7sp and 10spd derailleurs. Neither would stay attached to the bike. I also tried locktite with no success. I sometimes have to tighten the derailleur after every run, then it will decide to hold for a while.
On the 10spd the b tension plate broke once.
On the 7 spd the b tension plate and circle clip (which holds it on) fell apart once.
The circle clips are a real pain to get on so fixing the broken b tension plate is not quick or easy.

The other problem is that the b tension screws back off over time. If they are not adjusted far enough in then (I assume because of the X-Horizon) the deraileurs go slack and bang around.

So for $350 you need to pay very close attention to your b-tension and carry and extra b tension plate kit.

When SRAM figures this out I hope they step up and help the current X01 derailleur owners out.

For now I am waiting for Chain Rxn to get more Saint derailleurs in stock…

July 27, 2015, 9:24 p.m.

I have used both the X01DH 7sp and 10spd derailleurs. Neither would stay attached to the bike. I also tried locktite with no success. I sometimes have to tighten the derailleur after every run, then it will decide to hold for a while.
On the 10spd the b tension plate broke once.
On the 7 spd the b tension plate and circle clip (which holds it on) fell apart once.
The circle clips are a real pain to get on so fixing the broken b tension plate is not quick or easy.

The other problem is that the b tension screws back off over time. If they are not adjusted far enough in then (I assume because of the X-Horizon) the deraileurs go slack and bang around.

So for $350 you need to pay very close attention to your b-tension and carry and extra b tension plate kit.

When SRAM figures this out I hope they step up and help the current X01 derailleur owners out.

For now I am waiting for Chain Rxn to get more Saint derailleurs in stock…

Why wait for CRC when you can get it in 2 days from TBS at the same price?

http://www.tbsbikeparts.com/saint-m820-10-speed-rear-derailleur/