Brake Recommendation Needed

April 28, 2011, 6:03 p.m.

I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my 05 Norco Team DH. I have not been riding for the last couple of years and I am out of the loop and need some recommendations. The bike will primarily be used for park riding. Price and reliability are very important.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

April 28, 2011, 6:16 p.m.

I've been on the Hayes Stroker Aces for the past few months and I really like them. Totally reliable and very solid power. If you shop around you can get them pretty cheap too. They're tough to beat for the price.

April 28, 2011, 6:42 p.m.

I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my 05 Norco Team DH. I have not been riding for the last couple of years and I am out of the loop and need some recommendations. The bike will primarily be used for park riding. Price and reliability are very important.

Doesn't it come with the older saint style brakes? If so get some goodrich stainless hoses, try and pickup some straightline levers and get fresh pads.

Realistically unless you wanna shell out for the new saints (heavier but stronger) or some codes you might not find anything much better in my opinion. I still love these brakes and bought up spares when they went out of stock.

April 28, 2011, 6:56 p.m.

Doesn't it come with the older saint style brakes? If so get some goodrich stainless hoses, try and pickup some straightline levers and get fresh pads.

Realistically unless you wanna shell out for the new saints (heavier but stronger) or some codes you might not find anything much better in my opinion. I still love these brakes and bought up spares when they went out of stock.

No, it has Hayes El Camino's, the fade away kings.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

April 28, 2011, 7:13 p.m.

CRC is having a sale on Avids

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=114[HTML_REMOVED]SortBy=Price[HTML_REMOVED]CategoryID=113[HTML_REMOVED]PartnerID=7286

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

April 28, 2011, 7:27 p.m.

Shimano makes the most reliable brakes of the bunch. Go with SLX's or Saints. if you can get some Old-Style Saint's with goodridge lines cheap, do that…..so good.

April 28, 2011, 7:59 p.m.

No, it has Hayes El Camino's, the fade away kings.

In that case anything is better.

April 28, 2011, 8:11 p.m.

Yes on the Goodridge lines, I have them on my 09 shore attached to my J7's they do make a big difference.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

April 28, 2011, 9:04 p.m.

Shimano makes the most reliable brakes of the bunch. Go with SLX's or Saints. if you can get some Old-Style Saint's with goodridge lines cheap, do that…..so good.

I personally disagree. Shimanos brakes feel great, but they are not the most reliable. Out of all of the brakes on the market Shimanos need the most maintenance. Which is worth it if you know how to maintain them, but most don't.
If your looking for the least amount of maintenance go for The Stroker Aces or any Avids brakes.

:fruit:

April 28, 2011, 9:37 p.m.

I personally disagree. Shimanos brakes feel great, but they are not the most reliable. Out of all of the brakes on the market Shimanos need the most maintenance. Which is worth it if you know how to maintain them, but most don't.
If your looking for the least amount of maintenance go for The Stroker Aces or any Avids brakes.

you go home now please

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 28, 2011, 10:15 p.m.

avid brakes suck, hayes brakes suck even more, and my shimanos feel like shit but they're there when i need them. shimano has my vote

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

April 28, 2011, 10:20 p.m.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been out of the loop for a few years as well. I'm curious to know how the Avid Elixirs are on FR/DH rigs? Specifically the CR's, which to my knowledge are the best of the Elixir line up…next to the CR "MAG" which has a carbon lever blade(?). From the looks of it, Avid has basically replaced the whole "Juicy" line with the Elixirs. I'm currently running Juicy 5's and want something with more power, I was thinking of going with Codes again but they're heavy and overpriced IMO.

Also, for those of you who've purchased items from ChainReactionCycles, where are they based out of and how fast is their shipping? They've got some good priced right now! :rocker:

avid brakes suck

Reason(s) being?

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

April 28, 2011, 10:22 p.m.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been out of the loop for a few years as well. I'm curious to know how the Avid Elixirs are on FR/DH rigs? Specifically the CR's, which to my knowledge are the best of the Elixir line up…next to the CR "MAG" which has a carbon lever blade(?). From the looks of it, Avid has basically replaced the whole "Juicy" line with the Elixirs. I'm currently running Juicy 5's and want something with more power, I was thinking of going with Codes again but they're heavy and overpriced IMO.

Also, for those of you who've purchased items from ChainReactionCycles, where are they based out of and how fast is their shipping? They've got some good priced right now! :rocker:

Reason(s) being?

ELIXIR CR has carbon lever,

CR MAG has magnesium lever, hence the MAG.

April 28, 2011, 10:23 p.m.

I disagree with your disagreement

April 28, 2011, 10:25 p.m.

ELIXIR CR has carbon lever,

CR MAG has magnesium lever, hence the MAG.

My bad haha, thanks for clarifying that. Any input on the CR's performance for fr/dh?

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/