Starving

Aug. 23, 2013, 7:54 a.m.

Anyone have any eating strategies for longer commutes?
Once I get to work I am starving for most of the day and quite honestly can't carry enough food in my pack. When I say food I mean fruits and veg and homemade meals, not bars etc, personal preference.
My commute is 20k both ways, but I usually take transit once a day so the total is only 25-30k per day.
What do you eat/bring to work? Does dinner the night before make much difference? Should I bring a 20lb bag of oats to work and graze on that all day?

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Aug. 23, 2013, 8:26 a.m.

Anyone have any eating strategies for longer commutes?
Once I get to work I am starving for most of the day and quite honestly can't carry enough food in my pack. When I say food I mean fruits and veg and homemade meals, not bars etc, personal preference.
My commute is 20k both ways, but I usually take transit once a day so the total is only 25-30k per day.
What do you eat/bring to work? Does dinner the night before make much difference? Should I bring a 20lb bag of oats to work and graze on that all day?

eggs. cook up an omlette or scrambled eggs before you go and have that as breakfast when you get to work. add veggies and maybe some ham, turkey or other lean meat and throw in a tablespoon of coconut oil. you could also cook up some oatmeal at home and nuke it up at work if you want it to be hot.

while fruits and veg are good, they simply don't pack enough calories.

did you just start the bike commuting? if so give it some time and your body will adapt. right now your body is screaming for calories because of the sudden increase in caloric demand compared to before you were commuting. chances are you may not even be in a caloric deficit, but it just feels that way.

the other thing you can do is keep a jar of home made trail mix in a container at work as it's a calorie dense snack that also packs nutrition. just don't have too much dried fruit in there.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 23, 2013, 8:29 a.m.

nuts..

Aug. 23, 2013, 8:44 a.m.

I second the eggs/lean protein. Whatever suits your fancy, be it eggs, lean sausage, turkey or whatever your favorite is, I always feel a lot better in the morning and am less hungry throughout the day when I eat something with some sort of meat in it.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 23, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

so the consensus is that darthyoga needs more nuts and sausage?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:05 a.m.

I have been bike commuting for 5 months ~100k a week. Before that was shorter commutes but gym time and running so I don't see any more calorie needs than before.
Thank you for the suggestion but this sounds like way to much protein before a ride. If I could eat a few hours before I leave it may be an option but I jump on the bike within 1/5 hr of waking up. I usually have a piece of fruit and a large glass of water, which is fine until I get to work. About and hour or after I get to work, the hunger starts.

eggs. cook up an omlette or scrambled eggs before you go and have that as breakfast when you get to work. add veggies and maybe some ham, turkey or other lean meat and throw in a tablespoon of coconut oil. you could also cook up some oatmeal at home and nuke it up at work if you want it to be hot.

while fruits and veg are good, they simply don't pack enough calories.

did you just start the bike commuting? if so give it some time and your body will adapt. right now your body is screaming for calories because of the sudden increase in caloric demand compared to before you were commuting. chances are you may not even be in a caloric deficit, but it just feels that way.

the other thing you can do is keep a jar of home made trail mix in a container at work as it's a calorie dense snack that also packs nutrition. just don't have too much dried fruit in there.

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

Who doesn't!

so the consensus is that darthyoga needs more nuts and sausage?

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

a person doesnt always have a ham sandwich handy….

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:13 a.m.

I have been bike commuting for 5 months ~100k a week. Before that was shorter commutes but gym time and running so I don't see any more calorie needs than before.
Thank you for the suggestion but this sounds like way to much protein before a ride. If I could eat a few hours before I leave it may be an option but I jump on the bike within 1/5 hr of waking up. I usually have a piece of fruit and a large glass of water, which is fine until I get to work. About and hour or after I get to work, the hunger starts.

have the meal when you get to work, not before you go to work. that's the issue, a small meal before hand and not much after.

a piece of fruit and a glass of water represents and 50 calories, no wonder you're hungry!

oh and re-read my post! i said to cook the eggs, take them with you and eat them AT work.

eggs. cook up an omlette or scrambled eggs before you go and have that as breakfast when you get to work.

Ellen Langer

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:24 a.m.

Reading and comprehension are not so good today, that makes much more sense.I'll try that next week and see if there is any difference.
I should clarify that I don't eat only a peach, thats just before the ride. I usually have peanut butter toast and some banana when I get in, the snack on fruit and veg until lunch.

have the meal when you get to work, not before you go to work. that's the issue, a small meal before hand and not much after.

a piece of fruit and a glass of water represents and 50 calories, no wonder you're hungry!

oh and re-read my post! i said to cook the eggs, take them with you and eat them AT work.

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:50 a.m.

I think its been re-iterated:

Good breakfast if I'm feeling burned out - poached eggs on toast with salmon lox (Omega Fatty Acids) for me, if I'm really not feeling good 1/2 milk 1/2 soy latte (in microwave with Nescafe) or else cup of tea (no sugar in the morning).

Lunch - leftovers.

Snacks - something that stays in your gut and is hard to digest - celery and baby carrots, cherry tomatoes. Nuts (cashews - which are 20% protein) and moist, whole, unpitted dates (the awesomest natural energy supplement ever IMHO). Fruits.

I think people tend to underestimate the need for protein for long-term recovery. Recovery is not just about carbs.

Aug. 23, 2013, 10:18 a.m.

Eat pussy at work.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 23, 2013, 10:29 a.m.

….Recovery is not just about carbs.

tell that to all my brown dead soldiers….

Aug. 23, 2013, 10:53 a.m.

I usually feel pretty good all the time but I do want to get to the point where I can do the full 40k round trip 3- 5 times a week. Trail mix, toast and lox all sound fairly portable as well as being good energy. I love dates and they keep well so Ill be investing in some of those.

I think its been re-iterated:

Good breakfast if I'm feeling burned out - poached eggs on toast with salmon lox (Omega Fatty Acids) for me, if I'm really not feeling good 1/2 milk 1/2 soy latte (in microwave with Nescafe) or else cup of tea (no sugar in the morning).

Lunch - leftovers.

Snacks - something that stays in your gut and is hard to digest - celery and baby carrots, cherry tomatoes. Nuts (cashews - which are 20% protein) and moist, whole, unpitted dates (the awesomest natural energy supplement ever IMHO). Fruits.

I think people tend to underestimate the need for protein for long-term recovery. Recovery is not just about carbs.

Aug. 23, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

I usually feel pretty good all the time but I do want to get to the point where I can do the full 40k round trip 3- 5 times a week. Trail mix, toast and lox all sound fairly portable as well as being good energy. I love dates and they keep well so Ill be investing in some of those.

Filling your gut with fiber (and/or fat) should reduce cravings. Celery is the all-purpose filler. Its cheap and light - mix with baby carrots and cherry tomatoes in reusable ziploc baggie for an easy, lightweight, cheap, nutritious, portable feedbag to ward off hunger.