Starving

Sept. 19, 2013, 8:52 p.m.

what I hear op saying is " omg I can't eat more food certainly not fat or protien …I will get fat!"

Funny you mention this. I have watched my wife fight her players mentality which is pretty much the same. And is doing so again.Seems a common mindset amongst women. I say that as my mother thinks the same now days.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 20, 2013, 7:06 a.m.

Grabbed a copy of Feedzone portables…same stuff the Tour guys eat.

Baked eggs with bacon. Easy to transport and no egg shells.
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/05/nutrition/feed-zone-portables-basic-baked-eggs_76578

Lots of stuff in it to make and easy to transport.

I prefer to keep the food real … but I know realistically its not possible, say, by the 10th hour for most humans to avoid sucking back gels and drinking electrolytes to keep going. For commuting etc I'd say stick to normal (ie healthy wholesome) food. When I trained I generally drank only water for the first 3 hours or so … you need that to train your metabolism to manage its glycogen reserves and to rebuild them during recovery. Competition, of course, is a whole different thing altogether.

Sept. 20, 2013, 7:42 a.m.

well think about the question "I am starving " , it doesn't take a rocket biologist to say "eat more food" and the body should tell it's user to eat more food but what is stopping that?

Sept. 20, 2013, 8:03 a.m.

avocados are magical. super-portable, super-tasty. mush one of these bastards on a couple pieces of toast.

seriously, it sounds like you need some fat in your diet unless you're secretly downing a box of oreos in the janitorial room.

Check my stuff for sale!

Sept. 20, 2013, 9:54 a.m.

well think about the question "I am starving " , it doesn't take a rocket biologist to say "eat more food" and the body should tell it's user to eat more food but what is stopping that?

"I'm starving" is a complex neurological/hormonal process - it doesn't necessarily mean your body needs food (ask anyone with a weight problem):

"food" is the critical thing here. Some foods fill you more than others independent of their calorie content. Some foods are easy to digest quickly, others aren't. Some foods replenish your stored energy supplies (glycogen) faster than others. You can eat Doritos and drink Coke if you are starving, but if you are training for a marathon, or riding 200 km a week, it won't do the job. This the the point of the thread.

Sept. 20, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

I prefer to keep the food real … but I know realistically its not possible, say, by the 10th hour for most humans to avoid sucking back gels and drinking electrolytes to keep going. For commuting etc I'd say stick to normal (ie healthy wholesome) food. When I trained I generally drank only water for the first 3 hours or so … you need that to train your metabolism to manage its glycogen reserves and to rebuild them during recovery. Competition, of course, is a whole different thing altogether.

Have you actually looked at the stuff in the book? Everything is real food..

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 20, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

Have you actually looked at the stuff in the book? Everything is real food..

Ooops … my bad. I thought it was a commercial product. Took a closer look … looks great.

Sept. 20, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

Ooops … my bad. I thought it was a commercial product. Took a closer look … looks great.

Allan Lim when he started working with riders at the Tour and others like Tim Johnson. He observed that riders would be given all the stuff at feed zones and such. But would finish stages and races with food left over. Riders where tired of the bars, gels, and such that " we" are supposed to shovel down. And where casing stomach upset as well.

Now it is much better.

I haven't touched a Power. Bar type bar since maybe 2003. Al it took was a couple of 50k trails races aid station to put me off forever.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 20, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

what I hear op saying is " omg I can't eat more food certainly not fat or protien …I will get fat!"

This could not be further from the truth. I eat well, and while I am not actively wanting to gain weight, I am not worried about eating. What I need are suggestions for quality portable foods that are low maintenace. I tend to pack most of it with me when I commute and that extra 5 pounds of food,water and whatever else I need get heavy after climbing the Alex Fraser, then the Qboro,then up and over to BCIT. I feel good all day but have found high protein and fattier foods don't get me back across the Alex Fraser and up Nordel after work.
I have since been eating more rice, grains and hearty vegetable at work, then have chicken and pasta for dinner. Its been working well, I even had enough left in the tank yesterday for a Frommer after the return commute from work.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Sept. 20, 2013, 11:46 a.m.

its funny how this became about a woman complaining about getting fat and being scared to eat. Not once did I mention I was calorie restricted, looking to lose weight or unhappy with myself.
I just want to eat enough so I can ride my bike more.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Sept. 20, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

its funny how this became about a woman complaining about getting fat and being scared to eat. Not once did I mention I was calorie restricted, looking to lose weight or unhappy with myself.

That one's easy….male stereotypes.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 20, 2013, 3:47 p.m.

avocados are magical. super-portable, super-tasty. mush one of these bastards on a couple pieces of toast.

seriously, it sounds like you need some fat in your diet unless you're secretly downing a box of oreos in the janitorial room.

I bust a few of those bad boys up to make my own guacamole. Use it in wraps and sandwiches

Eat 100% whole grains as well.

Oh I now take a container of cashews, walnuts, dried cranberries, high cocoa chocolate chips on a ride. As well as some homemade cookies. Great snack. Save the gummies and cliff bars for an emergency or racing.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 20, 2013, 6:45 p.m.

Sorry Darthy.

That one's easy….male stereotypes.

Easy to say. But unfortunately just from the players that have come through at least half of this actually comes from parents. Specifically mothers it seems are the cause of many to think if they ate less it would be better.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 21, 2013, 7:47 a.m.

Competition, of course, is a whole different thing altogether.

when you get to that elite level of riding in yurp having any kind of wierd food requirements can be a problem to find … best if you can eat whatever the local cook is cooking

Oct. 22, 2013, 11:13 p.m.

16km commute each way.

6am - 1/2 cup quick oats in the microwave, add a scoop of protein powder, a scoop of flax seed, and a spoonful of peanut butter.

10am - banana

noon - sandwich container stuffed to the brim with a mixture of beans, lentils, and quinoa. Sometimes throw in some sautéed kale/broccoli to add some flavor.

3pm - apple

5:30pm - eat a banana on the way down the elevator to give some energy for ride home

7pm - dinner, usually a stirfry

10pm - evening snack is always nuts; peanuts/almonds/cashews