Cleat in the face too far?

July 23, 2013, 9:54 a.m.

I like riding hastings from downtown to Nanaimo at least.

This is my usual route between the DTES and Sunrise: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6015340

Note "DHL alley" that lines up with Cordova where it ends. Pandora is a good one to climb as it's got a consistent grade and smoother pavement than Franklin. And there's a light to cross Nanaimo. Slocan is the top of the hill so you can go in any direction from there.

flickr

July 23, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

Actually, on a road bike, hastings is much faster than the Francis/Adanac route. I think I'll only take it after 6 from now on.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

July 23, 2013, 10:52 a.m.

Hastings is actually much more easier after 6pm because people now park on the inside lane

Now you have the choice between door prizes and getting right out into traffic. Not really worth it.

As far as raging on idiot drivers, I just chill now, but maybe you could print this on a shirt "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men."

and then you can lay your vengeance upon them. or something like that.

July 23, 2013, 11:05 a.m.

Actually, on a road bike, hastings is much faster than the Francis/Adanac route. I think I'll only take it after 6 from now on.

hmmm - i don't know about that. the advantage to adanac is no long waits at any lights compared to hastings/ most of the cross streets i might only have to pause for about 10-15 seconds tops. in fact the only cross streest where i typically have to wait more than a few seconds are main and clark.

As far as raging on idiot drivers, I just chill now, but maybe you could print this on a shirt "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men."

and then you can lay your vengeance upon them. or something like that.

while the idea of chillin seems to be the way to go it does bring up an interesting point for debate. if cyclsits never stand up for their ROW then drivers become accustomed to taking advantage of us all the time. i've found that more often than not drivers are willing to concede and apologize for their mistakes if one takes the right approach in letting them know what they did wrong. if you rage on them they're just going to miss your point, never mind just get pissed off at you. be polite in telling a driver what they did wrong and you'll get a better reaction.

every once in a while tho you will get an asshole who won't care. in that case, just make sure your brand of crazy is way above theirs.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 23, 2013, 12:55 p.m.

I wouldn't disagree. The Adanac route wiggles and goes up some really unnecessarily steep pitches out that way.

Now you have the choice between door prizes and getting right out into traffic. Not really worth it.

Door prizes possible if you're riding inside the lane, but most of the time you can ride pretty much on the dashed line and be relatively safe. If you're going fast enough to not be able to react to a door, you shouldn't be in the door zone.

flickr

Aug. 6, 2013, 3:21 p.m.

I ride with a Glock.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 7, 2013, 9:11 a.m.

In my experience living in the city of Vancouver for 6 years and getting around mostly by bike, the correct form of action is to ride one of the chill streets a block or two off the main drag, regardless of whether there is a bike/bus lane. Aggro vehicle drivers are always using those lanes to drive 80km/h and get ahead of a few more cars. Not worth the unpleasant/dangerous experience nor the potential for altercation just to assert your right as a bicycle commuter. If you insist on riding the major thoroughfare, be prepared to swallow your pride if you wish to avoid altercations.

This… With the Frances Union bike lane, there really is no excuse to be on Hastings (which is also really dangerous)

Aug. 10, 2013, 12:26 a.m.

I wish cyclists would just move over. All the way over to 10th Ave. or Adanac when riding up the grade.

When you're on pace flying down the grade, then come out and play with the buses.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 10, 2013, 11:09 p.m.

I wish cyclists would just move over. All the way over to 10th Ave. or Adanac when riding up the grade.

When you're on pace flying down the grade, then come out and play with the buses.

Are you a bus driver?

:lol:

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions