Cleat in the face too far?

July 22, 2013, 11:45 a.m.

So last Thursday was the second almost serious altercation I've gotten into commuting. A car was at a light in the BUS/BIKE only lane on Hastings heading east. Because he should have been turning right, I zipped in front of him before the light went green and pedalled down MY lane. He didn't seem to like that much and honked his horn. I pointed at the BUS/BIKE only signs above. He pulled ahead of me and yelled at me. I yelled back that from 3pm-6pm this wasn't his lane. So he proceeds to stop in front of me. I glide past and tell him to Fuck off. He pulls up on the INSIDE of me (lanes of heavy traffic on my left). I tell him to keep moving so I can report his license plate. He threatens some more - I'm wobbling here with him a few inches from me -ON HASTINGS. He eventually drives off.

Another time a guy ran a stop sign and almost hit me. I yelled at him, he didn't like it, jumped out of the car and tried to fight me. Normally both of these guys wouldn't be too scary but when you are on road bike cleats, you haven't a chance. Click clicking all over the place and zero grip. You'd go down fast. So I told myself, if that ever happened again, off came the shoes and they would immediately be turned into a weapon. Especially against a guy who threatened me with a motor vehicle. Looking at these shoes, one upper cut from one of them would make someone's jaw explode and possible worse damage. What is the correct form of action if someone is intent on throwing down and you are on clip-in shoes? I say, if ANYONE threatens to hit me in their car again, I'll start with the cleats on their headlights and that should scare the shit out of them enough to get back in their car and drive away.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

July 22, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

remove shoe, promptly insert up their ass..

then inform them to fuk off and keep the shoe.

ps. finish up with saying your a famous MTB movie producer and hand them ur business card.

hahah

July 22, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

What is the correct form of action if someone is intent on throwing down and you are on clip-in shoes?

In my experience living in the city of Vancouver for 6 years and getting around mostly by bike, the correct form of action is to ride one of the chill streets a block or two off the main drag, regardless of whether there is a bike/bus lane. Aggro vehicle drivers are always using those lanes to drive 80km/h and get ahead of a few more cars. Not worth the unpleasant/dangerous experience nor the potential for altercation just to assert your right as a bicycle commuter. If you insist on riding the major thoroughfare, be prepared to swallow your pride if you wish to avoid altercations.

flickr

July 22, 2013, 11:57 a.m.

Morg, I think you're right. Hastings is actually much more easier after 6pm because people now park on the inside lane and you don't have to worry about all the people driving in it. I'll probably start going the other way. That being said, there's still lots of room for altercations from assholes on the lesser roads too.

July 22, 2013, 12:01 p.m.

What section of Hastings? I've commuted from East Van to downtown and to SFU, so I found lots of good options along the way.

flickr

July 22, 2013, 12:25 p.m.

Stupid people are stupid. No one wins in situations like this. I try to keep my anger in check. I wish there was something concrete we could do about these ass hats.

July 22, 2013, 1:06 p.m.

In my experience living in the city of Vancouver for 6 years and getting around mostly by bike, the correct form of action is to ride one of the chill streets a block or two off the main drag, regardless of whether there is a bike/bus lane. Aggro vehicle drivers are always using those lanes to drive 80km/h and get ahead of a few more cars. Not worth the unpleasant/dangerous experience nor the potential for altercation just to assert your right as a bicycle commuter. If you insist on riding the major thoroughfare, be prepared to swallow your pride if you wish to avoid altercations.

I fully agree with your second point, think the first depends on the area. I found the side streets to often be full of people trying to find a short cut. Often felt safer on the main streets where there was generally a predictable flow of traffic.

July 22, 2013, 1:24 p.m.

I like riding hastings from downtown to Nanaimo at least. Sometimes all the way out to Barnett to Port Moody. I know the other routes but i tend to feel faster along this one. Maybe it's just too much now.

July 22, 2013, 3:23 p.m.

I just wanna see you start smacking a guy with your shoe.

Pastor of Muppets

July 22, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

Another vote for the chill route. I used to get so excited back in the day now confrontation avoidance is the way ahead.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

July 22, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

Morg, I think you're right. Hastings is actually much more easier after 6pm because people now park on the inside lane and you don't have to worry about all the people driving in it. I'll probably start going the other way. That being said, there's still lots of room for altercations from assholes on the lesser roads too.

If you're heading out to the Barnet, one of the quiet routes that is actually really quick (on the Burnaby side), is Parker from Boundary to Sperling.

July 23, 2013, 8:52 a.m.

I think that metal cleat would actually come close to killing someone. The Parker route isn't bad - but it's mostly the downtown to Nanaimo that is the problem.

July 23, 2013, 9:14 a.m.

I commute with flats.

:canada:

July 23, 2013, 9:25 a.m.

I commute with flats.

I commute in flip flops. :)

July 23, 2013, 9:38 a.m.

When I lived in N Bby, I found the Adanac/Union bike route to be damn fine for a jaunt downtown. I don't know why anyone would choose Hastings over this route. Lights/intersections are set up to calm traffic and favour cyclists, lots of other cyclists to share the space with, sooooo much quieter and at least as fast as Hastings, if not faster.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.