Whistler Newbie From Manitoba

July 14, 2014, 3:05 p.m.

Hey all,

I'm coming to Whistler next week for a work conference, but will have some extra time to do some riding. I plan on renting a DH bike and riding as many trails as I can. I've ridden in BC once before (8 years ago in Fernie [HTML_REMOVED] Rossland) but have never been to Whistler before. I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to downhill riding/bikeparks (being from a flat province and all), but I have been riding trails/dirt jumps/skateparks here in Manitoba for over 10 years, so I know how to hold my own on a bike.

Does anyone have suggestions for trails to ride?? Are there any riding groups that I could join to introduce me to the trails at the park? I read about Max4 Bike Park Lessons on the Whistler website, but are these any good?

Combined I only have about 2 days for riding (two half days and a full day) but I want to get the most out of the park as I can and I understand I may take some time to "warm up" to the level of riding in Whistler. Also am I nuts to be doing all this riding by myself??

Thanks!

-Matt

Work hard, Ride hard!

July 14, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

I went to the Forks a couple of years ago and saw a lot of 150ish mm bikes leaving the parking lot but it seemed pretty flat there. Is there somewhere to ride around there?

I've never done a bike lesson in the park, but I've seen them in action and they seem to be pretty good.

If I'm around then, you can tag along with me if you'd like. As for riding by yourself, no problem there. The beauty of having a great patrol staff on hand.. :)

July 14, 2014, 4:15 p.m.

As with skiing, start with some green trails and move upto blue. If you've had a good morning try A-line and Dirt Merchant after lunch. Careful at the end of day as your confidence will be maxed out and you'll be tired. Have fun!

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

July 14, 2014, 4:40 p.m.

what ever you do. take it easy..

Whistler is sooooo easy to get in over your head, and not realize how fast ur traveling, until u hit the ground..

which in Whistler is like godam cement its so hard..

so relax, and take ur time. but most of all dont go rushing headlong at mach speed..

the mountain loves fresh meat…

July 14, 2014, 4:47 p.m.

If you've had a good morning try A-line and Dirt Merchant after lunch.

Please stay away from these trails if you don't have DH/bike park experience, good way to break something.

The max4 lessons are a no brainer if you have to rent a bike anyway, works out to the same price almost.

Take it easy!

July 14, 2014, 6:11 p.m.

I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to downhill riding/bikeparks (being from a flat province and all), but I have been riding trails/dirt jumps/skateparks here in Manitoba for over 10 years, so I know how to hold my own on a bike.

Matt

Not to be a dick, but WBP is an entirely different beast. Over-confidence is a killer.

I'd say start out with some if the Fitz zone blues - BLine, Angry Animals, CIU, blue tech. See how you fair on those. P

If you've had a good morning try A-line and Dirt Merchant after lunch.

Some of the shittiest advice given out on this board!

what ever you do. take it easy..

Whistler is sooooo easy to get in over your head, and not realize how fast ur traveling, until u hit the ground..

which in Whistler is like godam cement its so hard..

so relax, and take ur time. but most of all dont go rushing headlong at mach speed..

the mountain loves fresh meat…

Truth.

Please stay away from these trails if you don't have DH/bike park experience, good way to break something.

Take it easy!

This!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 14, 2014, 7:13 p.m.

Not to be a dick, but WBP is an entirely different beast. Over-confidence is a killer.

I'd say start out with some if the Fitz zone blues - BLine, Angry Animals, CIU, blue tech. See how you fair on those. P

Don't you mean "Angry Pirate"? (I think the wasps are gone). The tech blues Ninja Cougar, Karate Monkey, Samurai Pizza Cat, Bluseum, Smoke 'n Mirrors are all fun too. The Paddy/Biker X pump-n-jump track (did I just invent that term?) is also fun. If you are comfortable with that scoot up to Garbanzo and try Blue Velvet (a Blue flow run, but not the best ride - especially the upper-to-mid section, IMHO - if Crank-it-up is being drunk, Blue Velvet is the the hangover), but just the ride up Garbanzo chair is worth it as is the surreal feeling of the Garbanzo zone.

If you can handle all of that, you can start on the black stuff on Fitz. There is tech (start with Afternoon Delight to lower Whistler Downhill) as well as jump/flow (A line). Then the tech progression goes up from there the 3 Horsemen - Schleyer, Upper Whistler Downhill, Upper Joyride. For Garbo adventures, its Freight Train (and either Duffman for tech, Lower Freight train for flow/jumps) is a good intermediate/advanced place to start. If you can handle all of that no problems, Dirt Merchant awaits! When you are bored of rockin' out with suicide no-handers on Dirt Merchant, step up to Crabapple Hits.

July 14, 2014, 7:22 p.m.

Do you ride predominantly dirt jumps or trails? How big are the DJ sets you ride? What are some of the difficult or challenging trail features on the trails you ride which define your upper limits of comfort?

These are some tidbits of info which could help make trail suggestions more relevant. If your dirt jumps are tiny, bline and crank it up will certainly get you going, but if you sculpt day after day and hit 20+ ft dirt jumps, A-line or the merchant will probably be your sauce after a couple warm up runs and a cautious reconnaissance lap where you get off the trail to scope things out.

I have a hard time imagining what trails look like in Manitoba, and who knows, maybe there's some good technical riding, but I'd start with del boca vista, move on to ninja cougar/karate monkey / devil's club / angry pirate and slowly dip your toe into the deeper waters if you find yourself thinking the blues are too tame. Difficulty level moves up rather steeply from blue to double black.

Whatever you do, take it slow as the bike park has quite a tendency to get folks over amped.

July 14, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

Don't you mean "Angry Pirate"? (I think the wasps are gone). The tech blues Ninja Cougar, Karate Monkey, Samurai Pizza Cat

Nope. Angry Animals in just easier to say than, Ninja Cougar to Karate Monkey to Samurai Pizza Cat.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 14, 2014, 8:10 p.m.

Nope. Angry Animals in just easier to say than, Ninja Cougar to Karate Monkey to Samurai Pizza Cat.

AKA the oriental express line.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 14, 2014, 8:38 p.m.

Important to opt for Crank it up instead of trying A-Line [HTML_REMOVED] Dirt Merchant. Especially on weekends, stay off A-Line [HTML_REMOVED] DM. You'll get run over. (Noobs ruined my A-Line lap) There are alot of Blue runs that are quite enjoyable, even for an expert. I would try B-Line [HTML_REMOVED] if that feels good, then proceed to Crank it up.

Thread killer

July 14, 2014, 9:05 p.m.

the top 5 trails that bring people to see me in emergency:

crank it up
crank it up
crank it up
freight train
a line

July 15, 2014, 8:40 a.m.

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

I'm definitely stoked to ride the trails at Whistler, but hearing your comments about hitting the ground like pavement and going to the emergency room are definitely sobering, so I have to remember to take it easy and work up to the more difficult trails. I'll definitely stay off trails like A-Line unless I can ride at the right level, as I don't want to impede anyone.

ReductiMat - I will be riding the afternoon of Tues Jul 22 and during the day Fri Jul 25/Sat Jul 26 if you are around, would be happy to meet up, so send me a PM if you are!

A couple more questions, since you guys are so helpful!

I noticed the Whistler website says the hours of operation are 10am-8pm. Is there anything around to ride that is open earlier than that? (I don't care what - it could be riding on flat pavement, I just want to spend as much time on a bike as I can!)

What are recommendations for best place to rent a downhill bike with helmet [HTML_REMOVED] armour?

Work hard, Ride hard!

July 15, 2014, 9:06 a.m.

I noticed the Whistler website says the hours of operation are 10am-8pm. Is there anything around to ride that is open earlier than that? (I don't care what - it could be riding on flat pavement, I just want to spend as much time on a bike as I can!)

First lift up is often 9:45 am or so. Last lift can also run past 8 pm. If you've never ridden a bike park before, 10 hours is PLENTY of time. If you aren't completely burned out long before 10-15 runs, I gotta hand it to you …

There is a set of dirtjump progressions and a mini (mostly kids) bike park between Parking Lot 3 and Fitsimmons Creek. If you want to "just go for a ride" you can ride out from the Village to Lost Lake and ride a loop on dirt track or explore some of the valley trail network.

What are recommendations for best place to rent a downhill bike with helmet [HTML_REMOVED] armour?

Gagbanzo bike and bean rentals, next door to Guest Services where you pick up your pass etc. There is also Summit Sports, just around the corner from the Gondola. (And others further in the Village, like Fanatik Co.)

July 15, 2014, 9:07 a.m.

http://fanatykco.com/ for rentals. I believe they have Aurums and Demos. Best shop in town.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.