my WBP experience

July 13, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

Me, on the other hand, have just returned from my first trip to Bromont (been to Whistler and Silver Star a number of times over the years).
I had lots of fun on the rented Flatline (I arrived mid-week with some of the trails closed and
didn't know what to expect).
I found the park similar to Siver Star but less chewed up (no dust) and hardly a brake bump anywhere : )
I'm going back.

July 13, 2014, 9:50 p.m.

also, i quickly reached a point where Whistler itself started to really grate on me, and given the heat and weekend crowds, it doesn't take long for this guy… i will go back with my norco range in the fall. familiar bike, some trail experience and a whole lot cheaper. wow now that was a $pendy weekend!!!

July 14, 2014, 9:43 a.m.

People scoff at the idea of lift-based riding and think its cheating… it's a whole different kind of beast on your body/mind. Eventually it all comes together and it's a fricken happy place.

This. Anyone who thinks it's somehow easier because you don't have to pedal up just doesn't know what they're talking about. When you're really charging in the park you're sprinting all the time. How many times have I come up on some guy sitting on his seat the. whole. way. down.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 14, 2014, 9:45 a.m.

also, i quickly reached a point where Whistler itself started to really grate on me, and given the heat and weekend crowds, it doesn't take long for this guy… i will go back with my norco range in the fall. familiar bike, some trail experience and a whole lot cheaper. wow now that was a $pendy weekend!!!

I feel the same way. The park offers some amazing and unique experiences. It's also the perfect place to hone your cornering and jumping skills, especially at those speeds. But it's a bit of a scene. I prefer riding less busy trails on my AM bike but damn if a park day once in a while doesn't add a lot to my riding.

Did you get a chance to ride Top of the World?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 14, 2014, 3:11 p.m.

yes the TOTW trail was open! first or second day i think. it was very exciting and the icing on the cake as it were. we got off at a couple of streams and dipped our heads and drank the snowmelt. a couple of young rippers did the same and we all took photos that sort of thing. a full alpine experience and well worth it. ran into a couple of guys on their trail bikes who did it twice that day because the attendant forgot to scan them on the first run, lucky dudes. while it all could be done on the trail bike the degree of rock chunder is so intense i was glad for the forgiveness of the DH rig. WBP is such a dynamic experience that love it or loath it, as an avid tech rider, it has to be done from time to time. no doubt DH riding (even at my modest speeds) is a tremendous work out. i'm actually surprised that the elite level riders don't all look like pro hockey players.

Craw, have you found a DH bike to your size liking? the Lg Aurum on paper is bigger than every other bike, including the xl V10. i could be wrong but i think it has the longest reach of any DH bike. the guys at Fanatyco said that be that as it may, Norco has an xl coming out next yr and there is a local guy with a prototype riding around. the whole longer and longer reach aspect of modern bike geo is all good news for us guys.

July 14, 2014, 8:41 p.m.

JBV come back in the fall. September is prolly the best month as the trails are sweet tackiness [HTML_REMOVED] the Crankworx crowd has left.

Thread killer

July 14, 2014, 9:03 p.m.

Saturday in the park was great for me. First time down Goat's Gully and I cleaned it after eyeing it up for a couple of years. It was extra special for me after getting a temporary colostomy bag installed at the start of May (long story!), thinking that was my summer season over for the year before it had started, then getting on a bike again 5 weeks after surgery and going on to fracture my thumb on my second lap down the Fitz zone a month ago due to overstoke and lack of skill.

How many people can say they have ridden Goat's Gully with an asshole on their stomach and a plastic brace holding their thumb in place? Let that be my claim to fame.

And that last flowy fluffy dirt/duff section of TOTW is better than it was last year.

The park is expensive and aspects of riding there can be annoying at times, but I love it.

July 14, 2014, 9:18 p.m.

Loam, you are the man! GG is tough. I cleaned it for the 1st time a few weeks ago also. Props to you for getting out there.

Thread killer

July 14, 2014, 9:43 p.m.

I'm just lucky Stuminator, a good friend nagged me back into a mellow Fromme lap after I had surgery and was sulking , sore and feeling a bit sorry for myself. Thought I was out for for a while, but thankfully not.