Seymour trail conditions. (2012)

June 19, 2011, 12:59 p.m.

Fairly large tree down on Ned's after the (Mystery?) creek. You have to go right to avoid it. Will need 2-3 people to get it out of the way.

Thread killer

Jan. 1, 2012, 4:08 p.m.

Great conditions out there - even got some sun today!

There is a big cedar down across Ned's (couple hundred meters from the top). You can barely ride around it if you're quick thinking but will catch those off guard who fly down. Lots of good wood in the tree (Cedar, 2-3 ft diameter).

Jan. 5, 2012, 9:06 a.m.

So there is a sign up at the Hyannis trail head. Closed due to extreme weather.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 5, 2012, 11:43 a.m.

So there is a sign up at the Hyannis trail head. Closed due to extreme weather.

And I spoke with a guy walking his dog there last night when I pulled up and he said there was nothing wrong with the trail.

I headed in for a quick rip around Hyannis trail and BP and also found nothing of concern there. Maybe DNV was worried about windy conditions that didn't happen?

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Jan. 5, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

Maybe DNV was worried about windy conditions that didn't happen?

I've seen those signs up a couple times before, and yeah it usually co-insides with wind/rain warnings!

…and yet last night turned out to be a lovely evening to spend in the woods!

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Jan. 5, 2012, 2:40 p.m.

And I spoke with a guy walking his dog there last night when I pulled up and he said there was nothing wrong with the trail.

I headed in for a quick rip around Hyannis trail and BP and also found nothing of concern there. Maybe DNV was worried about windy conditions that didn't happen?

I am pretty sure it has more to do with potential landslides down onto Fishermans Trail. I wasn't going there so I ignored it too.

Jan. 14, 2012, 2:06 p.m.

how much snow is there in the trees in the cbc area? thinking about a hike or snowshoe on the trails today.

Jan. 14, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

5-10cm on the trail along the BP from the road and down Pangor.

Jan. 14, 2012, 4:31 p.m.

oh my god, so fun today in the snow. break out the spikes and go ride

Jan. 16, 2012, 12:16 a.m.

Hard packed snow on Bridle with surprisingly good grip, Old Buck a few inches of fresh pow on the sides, BP to Severed completely cleanable. Severed is in good shape too, though this could all change by the morning.

A lot of eco-tourists out there today: families that had no idea they were standing in the bike track, hikers, and the fastest trail runners I've ever seen. Also, do you have to have a close-shorn beard to take up trail running?

flickr

Jan. 16, 2012, 10:34 a.m.

Hard packed snow on Bridle with surprisingly good grip, Old Buck a few inches of fresh pow on the sides, BP to Severed completely cleanable. Severed is in good shape too, though this could all change by the morning.

A lot of eco-tourists out there today: families that had no idea they were standing in the bike track, hikers, and the fastest trail runners I've ever seen. Also, do you have to have a close-shorn beard to take up trail running?

It's the family thing. Apparently if the parents are out together with their children their brains are sucked out. Go nordic skiing and you will the family strewed across the trail, often at a blind corner on a downhill. They just stair at other skiers coming done the hill, yelling at them to look out. They give the downhill skier the dirty look and the skier, often me, asks them if they think it is a good idea to clog the entire trail width with bodies on a downhill and not in plain view of those coming down until the last second. I have given up being polite and reasoning. I just tell them to look out and get off the damn trail.

Did the same thing on Bridle last spring. Dad and son stopped to lay their bikes on the trail just past that bridge about 100 metres from Old Buck. The answer was, there's room. You can get by at the very edge. Brother, some riders like to get a little air off this bridge and go a fuck of lot faster than this old guy. You are in the fucking way. You are sharing the trail with others.

Jan. 16, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

Just about ran into a family having a picnic in the middle of Pangor last summer…

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

This thread is getting like the winter driving moron thread.

Thread killer

Jan. 17, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

It might sound cliché but we were joking about the fact that the less travel a bike has, the higher likelihood the rider's going to snub you when you say hello. This was indeed the case on Sunday.

flickr

Jan. 18, 2012, 7:12 a.m.

I'd agree with that. I always equated it to tire width, but less travel = less personality works too. Bridal is the worst for that.