Seymour 2013 Conditions

Nov. 12, 2013, 12:16 p.m.

It is cut. The left side has been suspended (balanced on one of its branches) over the skinny for a while now…gradually dropping lower and lower. Not sure why it was cut where it was and the one side left up in the air.

I see now. Sometimes if you cut a fallen tree off, the remnant attached to the root end uprights itself. Maybe that happened here some time ago and only recently it fell down.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 12, 2013, 4:28 p.m.

I see now. Sometimes if you cut a fallen tree off, the remnant attached to the root end uprights itself. Maybe that happened here some time ago and only recently it fell down.

The cut on the end of the log doesn't look fresh.

Thread killer

Nov. 15, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

Yup, that tree had the top cut off a few years ago and has been above head height for a while now. It's dropped down over time but its days are numbered….

Nov. 15, 2013, 9:35 p.m.

Skip, it'll be gone tomorrow.

Nov. 16, 2013, 3:12 p.m.

I'm surprised it's still open.

CBC closed signs are up on the road now.

http://www.trailforks.com/report/689/

Nov 15 CBC closed for the winter.

aforementioned downed trees are no longer.

Nov. 16, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

It's on BP on the second skinny across the creek

so, a little lesson in blowdown.

This tree fell about 5 years ago, and was around knee height over the skinny. It was suspended in the air off a stump and rootball to the left of the photo. You can see the tip of the tree that was cut off and laying to the right of the skinny in the swamp. When the tip got cut of, the rest of the tree got lighter and lifted about 15 feet into the air, above head height and 95% of people didn't even notice it.

Recently the tree broke in half under it's own weight. The break is about 30 feet to the left of the visible cut. That made it drop onto the skinny. No, it wasn't a malicious act, nor a lazy or out of gas builder.

It's now rotting in the swamp, with another 2 feet been cut off the end, dropping it into the water.

Nov. 16, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

so, a little lesson in blowdown.

This tree fell about 5 years ago, and was around knee height over the skinny. It was suspended in the air off a stump and rootball to the left of the photo. You can see the tip of the tree that was cut off and laying to the right of the skinny in the swamp. When the tip got cut of, the rest of the tree got lighter and lifted about 15 feet into the air, above head height and 95% of people didn't even notice it.

Recently the tree broke in half under it's own weight. The break is about 30 feet to the left of the visible cut. That made it drop onto the skinny. No, it wasn't a malicious act, nor a lazy or out of gas builder.

It's now rotting in the swamp, with another 2 feet been cut off the end, dropping it into the water.

Nice work. Thanks Heckler.

Sustainable will be around forever.

Nov. 18, 2013, 2:06 p.m.

thanks Sven, sounds like a productive day

I gotta say, it was pretty rad to see so many people out working on trails this past weekend.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 19, 2013, 7:52 p.m.

French drain off the rock slab looks like someone knew what they were doing.

TNT? That was my ladies whilst I watched with a brew

Dec. 14, 2013, 5:17 p.m.

The new, revamped section of the Baden Powell from Old Buck is a mucky mess right now. Some trail workers today mentioned that hoar frost had gotten underneath the dirt and when it melted everything turned into soup.

My advice is to tread lightly, or avoid, that trail for the time being if you can so that it won't turn into a rutted mess.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Dec. 15, 2013, 3:36 p.m.

The ending bridge/run-out on Bottletop should be re-labelled "Bobsled". It has a coating of ice running almost the entire length after the hard left. tread carefully!

Dec. 16, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

The ending bridge/run-out on Bottletop should be re-labelled "Bobsled". It has a coating of ice running almost the entire length after the hard left. tread carefully!

Ya, that section is a creek at the best of times and now its an ice sheet!

There was also ice on the section of Forever After near the rock wall where it traverses before you climb up to the new section. Should be gone now. The trail is dry and running great!

Also an alternative to climbing up Baden Powell to avoid the new work would be to go up Old Buck to the Powerlines, turn left and continue to Pingu and down or down the powerlines.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Dec. 16, 2013, 7:09 p.m.

didn't know you could take powerlines there, i've always climbed up to the highway from that point. Thanks!

Dec. 21, 2013, 5:08 p.m.

Lower Seymour trail conditions?

Shed head!

Dec. 21, 2013, 5:12 p.m.

Lower Seymour trails were good to go and super fun this afternoon. Some slush but a lot of sections were totally clear.