Seymour 2013 Conditions

Aug. 13, 2013, 9:48 a.m.

http://vimeo.com/41209606 at 2:51.

I like to start on the left and ride diagonally down toward the right.

Yes, I saw that video, it is good, but like many videos it fails to show how difficult the section of trail really is and makes it look relatively tame.

I have come close to letting the brakes go on the line you describe and as shown in the video, but can't quite get it done.

Aug. 13, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

Yes, I saw that video, it is good, but like many videos it fails to show how difficult the section of trail really is and makes it look relatively tame.

I have come close to letting the brakes go on the line you describe and as shown in the video, but can't quite get it done.

Yeah I was going to say - you guys make it look way too easy! Every time I stand on top of that thing I look down thinking 'wtf?!' hahaha. Maybe if I was on my DH bike and fully armoured then it might be more of a possibility.

Aug. 13, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

If the structures are as rotten as the deck I just demolished then they need to go! There were 8 NSMBA members standing on it when it "settled" with a large crack. I'm sure if you asked any of them they were happy to see that North Shore structure removed.

Now imagine old structures in the middle of the forest that are full of hidden rot. Would you want to be on that when it finally collapses. Remember it takes 2+ hours to get S[HTML_REMOVED]R in and probably another 2+ hours to get your out again with a lot of hassle. Then probably 3 months of your bike or worse!

So quit the whining and go out and ride the trails that people are putting hard work into maintaining.

Aug. 13, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

If the structures are as rotten as the deck I just demolished then they need to go! There were 8 NSMBA members standing on it when it "settled" with a large crack. I'm sure if you asked any of them they were happy to see that North Shore structure removed.

Now imagine old structures in the middle of the forest that are full of hidden rot. Would you want to be on that when it finally collapses. Remember it takes 2+ hours to get S[HTML_REMOVED]R in and probably another 2+ hours to get your out again with a lot of hassle. Then probably 3 months of your bike or worse!

So quit the whining and go out and ride the trails that people are putting hard work into maintaining.

No whining here, just asking about why a particular structure was removed and as I stated regarding the Dales ramp, that would have a very high consequence if it had failed with a rider on it.

Haven't been able to get out and ride much lately, but the last two rides included Dales, one before the structure was removed and one after. Strangely enough both rides were fantastic, despite failing to attempt the steep rock face on either ride.

Aug. 13, 2013, 1:26 p.m.

rideitall,

It was a general comment not aimed at any one specific comment or user in the thread.

Aug. 13, 2013, 6:47 p.m.

Metro notified us they would be removing aged/rotting structures and are documenting as they go at our request.
"Wood was punky. And the places I cut through with the saw were getting thin and rotted"
This is a 'marquee' feature and we will work on replacing it.
It is impossible to assess a structure by simply riding it.

For those who continue to complain about things being 'dumbed down/paving' etc…I ride the inside line on Dale's rock face and so do the other guys I ride with, Willows included. The people doing the work on the trails are solid builders and solid riders. The flat part of Dale's was a sloppy bog in the wet season but thanks to the efforts of Willows, Digger, nsmb.com and all of those who showed up at the trail days and worked their butts off, it now runs well all season. Thank you to everyone who put in a huge effort.

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury to drag logs over the sanctioned trails to give them a rest in the wet season.

I'm glad you're working to get it replaced. The culture of Shore riding certainly includes structures. However, I agree that if you don't stop and check things out you can't tell what shape the wood might be in until it fails. It's better to trust people who actually stop and check these things out.

It would be nice if people respected any kind of winter closure.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Aug. 29, 2013, 12:20 p.m.

I'm pretty sure this is not a secret trail (but please correct me if that is not the case) - on the 'Local's Guide to North Shore Rides' trail map there is a trail that starts at the intersection of Mount Seymour road and Baden Powell (east side of Mount Seymour road) and then heads down the mountain (parallel to the road) and ends on Indian River road. What is this trail called and is it worth riding? Not sure if it is just a hiking trail or something since it doesn't have a name on the map.

Aug. 29, 2013, 10:41 p.m.

Not sure how it has faired with all the rain, but there is a busted up wasps nest on the Pingu extension after Incline. Right at the top of the first little up.

The residents are still there, and quite ornery. I got tagged more than 10 times on the lower legs.

Got some nice cankles now.

Sept. 5, 2013, 1:51 p.m.

Taking the focus off of Dales, Afterdales, afterlife, 'yer mom….or whatever the hell it's called..
Have done a couple of XC loops over the past 5 days, hitting pretty much all of the lower trails off of Bridle and they've been pretty awesome!! Salamandar, RT, Cardiac, Sticks and Stones and Empress Bypass have some loose rocks but the moisture from the previous rains have helped immensely. Bridle is Bridle..some people hate it…some love it…I'm in the latter camp. Really enjoy the constant assault of roots and rocks. As a whole, the entire thing is riding awesome. The uphill climbing sections are such a welcome addition.
High school trail is still full of flowy goodness but the large log rollever in the lower section has developed a decent crater from over-braking to make the hard right turn.
Bottle Top and Ridgeline are running REALLY NICELY as well but the wood bridge exit of bottle top is pretty slick so watch your speed.
On the other side of the river, Juryn trails are riding fine in both directions. As much fun as they are riding down, I find them to be a great technical uphill track. The circuit 8 loop is puddle-free but the wood is slick in most places. The connector down to Fisherman's was still closed as of Monday. I walked the lower section to see how it was coming along and :clap:. Good work to those involved!
All in all, the lower part of the mountain is running really well right now so go get some XC mileage…

Oct. 4, 2013, 12:02 p.m.

Was out on the lower Seymour trails last night. Hadn't been out in way too long and given the rain thought it best to stay on the lower trails, trails were in fantastic shape.

Had fun plodding about despite my back giving me grief. Saw Digger working away, making some nice trail improvements. What a guy he is, working as hard as he does on the trails and always super nice to talk to.

I ended up cutting my ride short as I was not able to work out the stiffness in my lower back. Anyone recommend a good physio / chiro / massage therapist in or around Main Street in Vancouver. Thinking about spinal decompression, anyone try it, does it work?

Oct. 27, 2013, 10:28 p.m.

i rode bottle top for the first time in a while today. there are 3 "speed humps" on the straight marbly section towards the end of the trail - before the 3 little drops - i was coming down at a good clip and didn't notice them at first, and the first one bucked me pretty good. are these a new permanent feature of the trail? never seen anything like them before. maybe they are intended to work as water bars to keep the trail surface from eroding

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 28, 2013, 1:43 p.m.

i rode bottle top for the first time in a while today. there are 3 "speed humps" on the straight marbly section towards the end of the trail - before the 3 little drops - i was coming down at a good clip and didn't notice them at first, and the first one bucked me pretty good. are these a new permanent feature of the trail? never seen anything like them before. maybe they are intended to work as water bars to keep the trail surface from eroding

Sounds like water management to me. Shouldn't you be looking where you're going? Just sayin…. ;)

Sustainable will be around forever.

Oct. 28, 2013, 6:27 p.m.

Sounds like water management to me. Shouldn't you be looking where you're going? Just sayin…. ;)

Yes i think that's what they are. I too found them to be an unpleasant surprise but that's what i get for riding by memory.

Oct. 28, 2013, 6:42 p.m.

the proper term is grade reversal, and yes, they're meant to divert the water flow off the trail. Ideally they're really big and long, but that takes a lot of manpower on a trailday, and ideal conditions on the existing trail.

Nov. 9, 2013, 7:27 p.m.

I'm going to assume that the new "ever after" probably isn't the most wet weather friendly trail? Anyone ridden it recently?