Seymour 2013 Conditions

Aug. 11, 2013, 8:22 a.m.

so now its pretty much official - this has nothing to do with structures being well-built or sturdy and everything to do with their concerns about liability.

and thanks for leaving a big ugly mess of chopped up wood and shitty tape.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 12, 2013, 9:57 a.m.

I'm looking at taking some friends up to the new Aftertaste reroute and an trying to figure out the best way to access the top of the trail. Dales might be a bit hard for a couple of them but the reroute is well within their capabilities.
Ideas that come to mind are; climb old buck to the Baden Powell and follow the BP to the trail head or same climb but down the powerline road instead (seems like a waste of elevation!)
Thanks

Aug. 12, 2013, 1:28 p.m.

I think the power lines are the way to go. I have the same issue. My son can ride all the new stuff, but Lower Dales is a bit much for him.

OR, you can wait for the inevitable paving of Dales, as I am sure the Land Managers, NSMBA and the TAP peeps are currently conspiring to do.

Aug. 12, 2013, 2:09 p.m.

OR, you can wait for the inevitable paving of Dales, as I am sure the Land Managers, NSMBA and the TAP peeps are currently conspiring to do.

Holy ignorant posts Batman. Dales was "TAP'd" 2 years ago. Metro is looking at removing structures.

:canada:

Aug. 12, 2013, 2:11 p.m.

I'm looking at taking some friends up to the new Aftertaste reroute and an trying to figure out the best way to access the top of the trail. Dales might be a bit hard for a couple of them but the reroute is well within their capabilities.
Ideas that come to mind are; climb old buck to the Baden Powell and follow the BP to the trail head or same climb but down the powerline road instead (seems like a waste of elevation!)
Thanks

Rode it yesterday cutting down Powerlines (no armour, clipped in and one 29HT so we wussed out and skipped Dale's - Ha ha!) and thought the same thing… Waste of elevation.

I usually access from west so got to thinking for a shorter loop to include this (rather than over to Old Buck) that climbing the Powerlines from end of Hyannis could be an option. I have never gone up that way (and expect it to be a pretty brutal climb!) but on a map the trail entrance looks to be the same distance from end of Hyannis up as it was from Mushroom down.

Anyone venture that way?

Aug. 12, 2013, 2:17 p.m.

It's a loose, steep slog up the power lines from the Hyannis junction; takes expert skills to stay on the bike and lots of fitness to do it without stopping – but definitely faster than going Old Buck to BP and makes for a simpler loop.

flickr

Aug. 12, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

It's a loose, steep slog up the power lines from the Hyannis junction; takes expert skills to stay on the bike and lots of fitness to do it without stopping – but definitely faster than going Old Buck to BP and makes for a simpler loop.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a sucker for steep, tech slogs… some kind of personality defect. It was loose coming down the Powerlines yesterday - really needs some rain and what we had yesterday morning was nowhere near enough. Regardless, I'll have to give that access a try!

Aug. 12, 2013, 2:39 p.m.

What a load of cock.

The sign should read NOT Very difficult

To that end, is it me or is the entrance to CBC show a double black diamond? Seemed to remember something to that effect from the last time I rode it. Had a chuckle then ducked into the trail.

Aug. 12, 2013, 2:48 p.m.

Holy ignorant posts Batman. Dales was "TAP'd" 2 years ago. Metro is looking at removing structures.

I am torn with Dales, as I like many of the old lines that are no longer part of the trail, but at the same time I always manage at least one good hoot while riding the new parts of the trail. There is a good mix of flow with some tech and even a couple of little jumps/drops. Still really liking the blind hit between the two trees -- MOAR PLEASE …

I still can't get the one really steep rock face, where you enter from the right side of the rock face. There is no ride around and I am happy for it as it will push me to one day concur that rock face rather then trying to slide and scramble down it.

I too am also surprised of the structure taken down on Dales. Last time I rode it, perhaps 2 weeks ago, it felt super solid. Who knows? IF, big if, it was getting rickety, then it is good that it got taken down as that structure falling apart with a rider on it would be serious.

Aug. 12, 2013, 4:32 p.m.

I still can't get the one really steep rock face, where you enter from the right side of the rock face. There is no ride around and I am happy for it as it will push me to one day concur that rock face rather then trying to slide and scramble down it.

Is the line down the riders right the preferred line? Looks super steep and high consequence! I always thought the riders left might be a more manageable route. Regardless, it's far beyond my capabilities. Every time I look at it I say to myself "how would anyone ride that thing"… Anyone have gopro footage of it?

Aug. 12, 2013, 6:45 p.m.

I've taken a look at some of the wood cut out on Dales and gotta agree. It's rotted, mouldy and needs to be replaced.

Aug. 12, 2013, 8:29 p.m.

Is the line down the riders right the preferred line? Looks super steep and high consequence! I always thought the riders left might be a more manageable route. Regardless, it's far beyond my capabilities. Every time I look at it I say to myself "how would anyone ride that thing"… Anyone have gopro footage of it?

yah, you can do two options riders right. the sharp right onto the sideways ledge or go straight down and hit the banked turn at the bottom. riders left isn't a walk in the lollipop garden either.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Aug. 12, 2013, 8:49 p.m.

… Anyone have gopro footage of it?

Here's a Johnny Smoke shot of some Daniel guy from Germany.

http://bushpilotbiking.com/category/triplog/page/2/

Aug. 12, 2013, 9:56 p.m.

Nice over reaction Robin. I was being sarcastic.

Aug. 12, 2013, 10:41 p.m.

Anyone have gopro footage of it?

http://vimeo.com/41209606 at 2:51.

I like to start on the left and ride diagonally down toward the right.