weight training for biking?

Jan. 31, 2003, 9:46 a.m.

Originally posted by Derek Diggler
I don't think it is wise to immerse yourself in a pool full of urine. A pool has chemicals in it designed to kill all bacteria. I don't think that you should put yourself into water that a fish couldn't survive in. It just can't be healthy.

sorry dude, but the dose of cholrine resonsable for keeping pool water bacteria free is harmless to us at such low levels. The reasons behind why bugs a fish cant survive is that they absorb these chemicals through their skin and by drinking them down effectivly fucking them up. Not to mention their much smaller size and body weight difference acounting for their increasing susceptability to ever low levels of chlorine (higher ratio).

WTF ever happened to natural selection…

Jan. 31, 2003, 12:11 p.m.

Originally posted by Frost
I guess that depends on what your goals in weight training are. If you are looking to build mass then you would be doing heavy weights low reps. If you are looking at endurance and toneing then you would be using low weights high reps. You always want to have control of the weights that you are lifting and use good form. If you are not using the correct form you are not targeting the right muscle group and therefore wasteing your time. I prefer to use free weights because this not only works the targeted musle but the surrounding stabilizer muscles.

That's only partially true. I don't have the time right now to get into muscle fibre recruitment theories and how they relate to sets, reps, tempo etc, but realize that this discussion is mainly about strength training for mtbing. As athletes, particlarly for shore style riding, we often rely on power ( a combination of strength and speed) to do what we do. Very heavy training (3 reps or less) will result in longer times (hence slower) to complete a lift. This is not the focus of heavy training (to go slow) but a result of it. The question was wether slow training (ie purposely using lighter weights, med to higher reps and slower (longer) tempo) is an effective technique for athletic training. As I mentioned before, the worlds best strength and conditioning association, the NSCA, has issued a discussion paper on this subject. In their review of the current literature and studies (some done by their own members) it was found that slow training produces less benefit than the best training protocols available today. It is not completely ineffective, it's just that there are many more training methods that will yield better results. Hence it is best to focus your valuable training time on methods that give you the best, or at least greater results. As an anology. if you had a chance for a date with say Selma Hayek or Rosanne Barr, who would you pick? BTW, Rosanne represents the sloooow training method.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 31, 2003, 3:20 p.m.

In the fall i had a great routine down, and I was seeing results. and then I seperated my shoulder and that was the end of my trainging. and now i havnt worked out for almost 3 months and i feel all week, and my shoulder still hurts! iam getting so mad, cause i would have had alot more strength come summer if I didnt seperate my shoulder and i stayed on my routine. :(

Jan. 31, 2003, 6:47 p.m.

Originally posted by PT-Colin
**Mr. Fungle
Nice DOG!! 8 mo. old Great Dane???

Take the very good advice given above and go see a qaulified medical practitioner.

I am down in Yaletown.

She's a lab/boxer actually - 5 1/2 months old now. Here is Sophie at 3 months http://froysaa.com/sophie/1103beach/images/DSC04789.jpg
and 5 months (w/her best friend Bailey) http://froysaa.com/sophie/xmas/images/DSC05025.jpg

Anywho, Thanks for the great advice and concern! I live just blocks from Yaletown, so maybe I'll drop by one day? It would be good to know that I am doing things right and to have a proper schedule to follow. I am pretty sure my medical would pay for physio even… I'll look into that next week.

Thanks to everyone else as well! It is really cool to see how many helpful peeps there are in our little sub-community! Good times!

Feb. 1, 2003, 1 a.m.

dude its a good plan to be in shape, but you don;t really wanna bulk up too much because you start killing your biek day in day out

Feb. 1, 2003, 10:02 a.m.

diggler - you're wrong about the chemicals in a pool. its actually more hazardous to soak in a hot tub for 5-10 minutes after working out, because of the hydrochloric acid in the hot tub. pools don't have this chemical in them, so spending 2 hours in a pool is still safer than spending 10 minutes in a hot tub.

mr fungle - go to the pool. do laps.

i swim ~4000 yards a day, and am in great shape. i lift 2-3 times a week, but not excessively.

if you're going to lift and swim, lift first. or, swim, then lift, then swim again.

it may sound absurd, but if you weren't a competitive swimmer when younger, talk with the lifeguard(s) at the pool. find one that is a competitive swimmer ( NOT someone that knows how to swim (they all HAVE to know how) but someone that actually swims (swam) competitively ). set up a time for a private lesson with him/her, for 30-45 minutes.

the ~$15 per time you pay will get you a MUCH better stroke, leading to less chance of shoulder injury, better stamina, easier movement through the water, and more desire to continue swimming.

if you plan on swimming for part of your workout, send me a pm, and i'll give you a relatively simple set to start out with, opposed to just doing laps until you're worn out.