"Trails find you when you are ready"

Sept. 24, 2006, 4:14 p.m.

As a person who came to the shore 6 years ago, If I had been shown the primo trails that I have just been enlightned to. I wouldn't have appreciate the sweet flowing line or the depth of the pine needles. Not because I'm a granola crunching retro grouch, but because I had grown up riding in Alberta for 6+ year before I moved here.
I had to learn new stuff and to find trails that matched my ability. I started like so many on pipeline, solo. and It was a couple of years ago that I started finding the "supersecret trails" like the dump trail, walk in the clouds, and others. I totally agree with the thread title, if you relax and get a bit adventurous, the trails will find you. or at least let you hook up with some cool folks that know the trails.

Sept. 24, 2006, 8:32 p.m.

I have been riding for just over two years, I don't think I know any secret trails, which does not bother me in the slightest because I have not ridden all the well known/mapped/gutsploder trails. If people ask for trail locations a helpfull pointer to gutsploder or NSMBA trail maps is more than enough. When people have ridden all these trails then they are likley to have found some of the other less well mapped trails or have met people who know them and are ready to ride them.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 24, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

Synchro, good point. I agree with you about HANKYPOO. As always there are exceptions to every rule and that would be one of mine. So maybe I am just another elitist asshole after all.

What actually made me start this thread was the responses people were getting when asking about Platinum. Your point about HANKYPOO is a good one, so I guess the question now is what makes a trail a "secret trail".

Is Platinum a secret trail? I don't think its on Gutsploder, but I would hardly call it secret. It's been in videos and on Dropin. It's not an illegal trail either, yet when someone asks where it is no one will tell them.
The Woodlot has seen a huge increase in the number of riders in the last few years. I prefered the old days when it was locals, but hey the trails are so good, people are going to come. I don't think that sending a few PM's is going to significantly add to the volume of riders. I think that was taken care of when the guy on Dropin was telling everyone it was the greatest trail and everyone should go ride it. Somehow I think that nationally televised show reached more people than a couple of PMs.

Sept. 24, 2006, 10:19 p.m.

there's just no way i'd tell a random stranger where platinum is IMO the guys that built it would be less than thrilled, regardless of the fact that it's appeared in some movies. however, if i'm riding with a group of friends that i think can respect the trail, then yes i might show them.

Sept. 24, 2006, 10:49 p.m.

HANKYPOO is a great example as over the past couple of years it's taken a fair amount of abuse and it's showing.

Well, one thing about HANKYPOO to keep in mind. It's not a 'secret' trail. Technically, it's illegal. And not illegal in the "DNV turns a blind eye" sense, but illegal in the "BC Parks will charge you if they catch you" sense of the word.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:04 p.m.

Well, one thing about HANKYPOO to keep in mind. It's not a 'secret' trail. Technically, it's illegal. And not illegal in the "DNV turns a blind eye" sense, but illegal in the "BC Parks will charge you if they catch you" sense of the word.

Kn.

Ken, anything that is not on a map or a well known trail i would/could label as secret. a lot of people may not consider HANKYPOO secret, but as the general riding public doesn't know about it that makes it kind of secret in my books.

ultimately, traffic is what kills a trail. if you don't want a trail to get punched quickly or require a lot of maintenance then you keep it on the down low.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Kn.

what excactly will they "charge" you with? sure it's far from a secret but you aren't going to get thrown in jail for riding it either.

wandering through the woods aimlessly you will find way more interesting stuff then anyone can show you. truley nonexistent trails are the best ever. :)

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legsā€¦
but riding bikes is still fun!

When I wrote my earlier post in this thread, i was referring to known trails. I would never give directions to "secret" or "less-known" trails to someone i didn't know.

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:07 p.m.

When I wrote my earlier post in this thread, i was referring to known trails. I would never give directions to "secret" or "less-known" trails to someone i didn't know.

i agree, for trails that are general knowledge, i don't see a problem giving directions to people asking on the mountain. on a bb it just doesn't sit right with me. go do some exploring or hook up with someone for a ride if you want to find new stuff.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:10 p.m.

there's just no way i'd tell a random stranger where platinum is IMO the guys that built it would be less than thrilled, regardless of the fact that it's appeared in some movies. however, if i'm riding with a group of friends that i think can respect the trail, then yes i might show them.

So you check with the builders of all trails before you give directions? Do you ask Digger before you tell someone where Ladies is? How long does the trail have to be in existence for before you stop asking the builders?

Those trails are legal and are built on public land. While I am grateful for the work being done by the builders, I fail to see how they have any authority to restrict someones access to crown land. That being said, everyone should respect posted trail closures due to weather or maintenance/trail conditions or whatever, but I don't see the rationale behind asking the builders before showing someone a completed and open trail.

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:13 p.m.

I don't see the rationale behind asking the builders before showing someone a completed and open trail.

ultimately, traffic is what kills a trail. if you don't want a trail to get punched quickly or require a lot of maintenance then you keep it on the down low.

if you built a trail that required a lot of effort you may not want to see it thrashed quickly.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:39 p.m.

if you built a trail that required a lot of effort you may not want to see it thrashed quickly.

If you want to build a trail for you and a select group of friends to ride, don't build it on public land. Build it on private property where you will have a fighting chance at controlling access to it.

So since you built a trail, maybe you could post up your cell number so I can call you before telling anyone where it is.

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:42 p.m.

For me, it's about respecting the wishes of the community of people who build and maintain these trails for us all to use. They have built some amazing trails and, more importantly, have done their best to ensure that we can use them. For that they deserve our respect. You can argue from an 'information wants to be free' position, but honestly I prefer their position - it addresses the realities of the situation better than an idealistic approach. I think the reality here is that the trails in question - the trails not marked on other, freely available maps - are trails could not survive as public trails. And the trails that I CAN find on those freely available maps are going to keep me busy for a couple of years yet.

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:50 p.m.

If you want to build a trail for you and a select group of friends to ride, don't build it on public land. Build it on private property where you will have a fighting chance at controlling access to it.

So since you built a trail, maybe you could post up your cell number so I can call you before telling anyone where it is.

lol - the trail i built is public knowledge and on maps so it's not really a worry.

i think the debate comes down to a difference of opinion as there are rational arguements on either side. but, the other thing to keep in mind is that the owners of this site have asked that we not post directions to trails on the bb, to at least use pm's. as we use this service for free, i don't see a problem in respecting their wishes.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 25, 2006, 6:17 a.m.

can we delete the name of the down low trail guys. thanks