Squamish Trails Closed

Aug. 22, 2003, 12:08 a.m.

As of 12:00 tonite (aug 21st) the Squamish trails will be closed due too extreme fire hazard, this is the news I have recieved from Tantalus Bike Shop. Apparently they need 36 hours of rain before they wil be open again. I hope that the GK ripper doesn't have to be cancelled. Please respect trail closers, it wouldn't be cool to have a forest fire on our favorite trails. All these fire warnings make me wonder how much longer whistler is gonna be open, and if the BC cup Finals in Hemlock are going to be cancelled, I hear its bone dry there.

brocklewood

Aug. 22, 2003, 12:46 a.m.

damn. I was hoping to head there this weekend now that the shore (and coquitlam) etc, etc, is closed. Was at whistler today and it is in such terrible shape I didnt even want to ride after a couple laps. Unfortunately repairs do not work so well without a bit of rain. Squamish and the woodlot seem to be all that is left. Chilliwack? Hmmm. With squamish closed we have fewer options. WHat are we all going to do? Maybe a huge party/bbq at kits beach is in order.

As an aside, I heard a rumor that whistler is considering laying hoses next to the trails to water them down. What about hoses to mist the trails all day? How sweet would that be, ripping down a-line with a cool mist raining down on you from up above? Just a thought

Aug. 22, 2003, 8:43 a.m.

Originally posted by evanius
As an aside, I heard a rumor that whistler is considering laying hoses next to the trails to water them down. What about hoses to mist the trails all day? How sweet would that be, ripping down a-line with a cool mist raining down on you from up above? Just a thought

They do run the sprinklers on the Biker X during the day.

Nothing better than smeared goggles when doing 15' gaps.

Aug. 22, 2003, 10:03 a.m.

damn.. now the best place to ride in BC is closed :mad:

www.idun.tv
03' marzocchi dirt jumper 2
new steerer, crown, stantions
$300 obo

Aug. 22, 2003, 12:18 p.m.

I just spoke to Al at Tantalus and he didn't know anything about an official closure.

There is a voluntary closure in effect from Prince George South to the border - and that would include Squamish.

I will update when I know more.

Aug. 22, 2003, 12:52 p.m.

SORCA is really good at sending out e-mails to it's members regarding trail closures etc.. Haven't got one yet so I assume they are stiil open. I imagine they wouldn't pertain to the voluntary "backcountry" closure as they are more front country.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Aug. 22, 2003, 1:56 p.m.

yeah…. I hiked The Chief yesterday, it was open still………..

*FLY TRINITY! FLY!*

██████ L I V E S T R O N G ██████

SEVEN STRAIGHT SUCKA!

Aug. 22, 2003, 8:17 p.m.

It rained here last night and this morning…

Probably not enough, but it was something.