Rider and fellow board member down

May 6, 2006, 6:12 p.m.

I just spoke with "Braces" wife - and apparently he is going to make a full recovery in 3-6 months (back at work in 3 months). They put enough titanium in him to make a couple sets of bar-ends and he is in a lot of pain right now - but is occasionnally able to sit up. So - here's to you Brace - good luck and get well soon buddy!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

May 7, 2006, 7:49 p.m.

Good T here taht he did not suffer any SC amage!!

Take it easy out there kids.

May 7, 2006, 8:07 p.m.

oh man.. hope it goes well for him…. and ya stay away from the XC bikes. LOL

Handcrafted in Canada
www.URIEDOG.com
MTB Colonies

May 8, 2006, 6:55 a.m.

Good luck and get better!

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

May 8, 2006, 6:58 p.m.

I just spoke with "Braces" wife - and apparently he is going to make a full recovery in 3-6 months (back at work in 3 months). They put enough titanium in him to make a couple sets of bar-ends and he is in a lot of pain right now - but is occasionnally able to sit up. So - here's to you Brace - good luck and get well soon buddy!

I know exactly what he's going thru….broken backs suck and surgery sucks harder. While he is likely in a lot of pain now, it does get better (though ridiculously slowly). If Barrie wants to find out how things have been going for me, then he should fire me a pm. He can have a read of my journey here http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/spinal_06_05.php.

Prayers, kind thoughts and best wishes are on there way Barrie…..

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

May 12, 2006, 12:43 p.m.

Thanks to everyone for there well wishes and comments.

I went off the rock drop at Bear Mountain (Mission) for the first time and just before I went off I remember thinking I need more speed or I need to wheelie drop, I remember trying to get in a crank before going off but I forgot I had been having free wheel problems and I think the chain jammed causing the bike to shoot strait down when I pedalled. Nobody to blame but myself, hitting something with a bad freewheel is just plain stupid.
Anyway after that I don't have any recall as I was knocked for around a minute according to my son.
I guess I did a face plant and my full face helmet acted like a brake, that coupled with my ribs ripping a root on a tree caused a super fast stop and my legs went flying over my head and broke my back ina couple spots.

I am expected to make a full recovery and have lost 20 lbs off my fat ass and have lots of titanium in my back so I expect to be much lighter and faster when I return.
lol

Once again I thank everyone for their support and I will see alot of you in few months. I can hardly wait to start riding again : )

May 12, 2006, 1:10 p.m.

Wow. That sounds like a nasty fall. Glad to hear you're going to recover.

May 12, 2006, 3:56 p.m.

holy crap brace, that sounds like a horrible crash, i definitely cringed while reading that.

here's hoping you make a fast recovery and are back on the trails again soon.

May 12, 2006, 4:15 p.m.

Best of luck for your recovery! Feel better soon!

-m

May 12, 2006, 9:59 p.m.

healing vibes

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

May 12, 2006, 10:52 p.m.

I know exactly what he's going thru….broken backs suck and surgery sucks harder. While he is likely in a lot of pain now, it does get better (though ridiculously slowly). If Barrie wants to find out how things have been going for me, then he should fire me a pm. He can have a read of my journey here http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/spinal_06_05.php.

Prayers, kind thoughts and best wishes are on there way Barrie…..

brace glad to hear that you are doing better….i also know what your going through as i also broke my back and had surgery….i actually had the same physio as baloom in vgh…im was back on my bike 3 months after the accident and hopefully you will have the same luck….my thoughts and prayers are with you…get better
ryser

May 13, 2006, 4:19 p.m.

Welcome back Brace.

Good to hear everything worked out for the best.

Healing vibes coming your way.

Stefan

May 15, 2006, 5:45 p.m.

bear mountain is not in victoria its in mission. get well soon budday

JDM POWER!

May 15, 2006, 9:16 p.m.

Welcome back Barrie! Heal up soon, bud!

June 11, 2006, 8:34 a.m.

Well I just thought I would let everyone know that I went for my first ride yesteday, 7 weeks after surgery.
Went to Hayward lake and crusied a couple k on the big trail/gravel road. Funny how even on my big fully I could feel every pot hole but I was so stoked to ride again I didn't really care, I even went threw some mud puddles.:woot:
I hope to be able to go back to Bear Mountain by the end of the month and I will make sure I give that rock drop a good kick and a few choice words on the way by.

Super stoked!!!:clap: