Mountain Biking Prounouncement?

Aug. 17, 2005, 11:25 a.m.

There are a few things in the biking world that I pronounce one way and others pronounce another…what is the right way?

1. Tioga. Either: Tie-o-ga, Tee-o-ga?
2. Magura Gustav : Goo-stav, Gus-tav?
2 Basagoitia: Ba-sa-go-shia, Ba-sa-go-e-sha, Ba-sa-go-tee-a, Ba-sa-go-e-tee-a?

Does anybody else have some they dont know how to pronounce?

Aug. 17, 2005, 11:31 a.m.

Giro.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Aug. 17, 2005, 11:32 a.m.

Fromme. Is it fr-oh-m or fr-om?

Aug. 17, 2005, 11:37 a.m.

Grouse

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Aug. 17, 2005, 11:50 a.m.

Grouse

Haha

Sram
Is it S-ram or Sram

Marzocchi
Is the last part chi or cki

Aug. 17, 2005, 11:50 a.m.

some of those older model Kona names, so many of them i can't begin to list them. i never was much good at pronouncing hawaiian names.

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:01 p.m.

Haha

Sram
Is it S-ram or Sram

Marzocchi
Is the last part chi or cki

I think its mar-zo-key

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:09 p.m.

Pronouncement: A formal declaration of opinion; an authoritative announcement

Pronunciation: The manner of pronouncing something; also, the word ShoreIH is looking for

Now about this pronunciation thing:

Marzocchi (ends with "-ki"; same for Petacchi)
Sram (I've always heard "shram")
Tioga ("Tee-oh-ga")
Gustav (pronounce just like the name, "goos-tav" or "goo-stav")
Tange (actual pronunciation is "tun-ghe"; have no idea how it was commonly pronounced in North America)

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:11 p.m.

some of those older model Kona names, so many of them i can't begin to list them. i never was much good at pronouncing hawaiian names.

Which ones? I'll take a stab at them.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:12 p.m.

Pronouncement: A formal declaration of opinion; an authoritative announcement

Pronunciation: The manner of pronouncing something; also, the word ShoreIH is looking for

Now about this pronunciation thing:

Marzocchi (ends with "-ki"; same for Petacchi)
Sram (I've always heard "shram")
Tioga ("Tee-oh-ga")
Gustav (pronounce just like the name, "goos-tav" or "goo-stav")
Tange (actual pronunciation is "tun-ghe"; have no idea how it was commonly pronounced in North America)

Tee-oh-gah

goo-shtafv

meh

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:34 p.m.

goo-shtafv

Geez, Gooch, you're gonna complicate things? We're taking baby steps here, like trying to figure out the difference between pronouncement and pronunciation.

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:39 p.m.

that is a very good question!

and DD, fromme is east of Mosquito creek, silly :P

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:46 p.m.

that is a very good question!

You mean "frum" or "frawm"? I've only heard the latter.

I believe Fromme is originally a German name whose native pronunication is close to "frum-meh". Perhaps a German speaker can confirm.

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:52 p.m.

"In 1924 J.M. Fromme became reeve of North Vancouver District. He

Aug. 17, 2005, 12:59 p.m.

Giro.

gear-o i think

http://chuuchbeeasy.blogspot.com/