Help: Anyone heard of this Bike Shop?

July 8, 2005, 6:32 p.m.

It's the nickname for paying full sticker price at JH's.

:lol:

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

July 9, 2005, 9:19 p.m.

sadly, it's not JH…this i know forsure.

on a side note; paying full sticker price from any bike shop is pretty lame.

July 9, 2005, 10:04 p.m.

YES! thats how you do it!! :lol:

turn off sigs…it will change your life

July 10, 2005, 12:01 a.m.

On that note, we were doing some LBS browsing today. Under the counter at JH lay a beautiful new SRAM X.0 derailleur, complete with shiney canister and $370.00 price tag. Later at Overtime, same derailleur $250.00 tag, said he'd let it go for $235.00. Someone's making a profit. That's what I like about Overtime. I go in and say "What's on sale today?". They usually reply "Everything!"

July 10, 2005, 12:07 a.m.

Under the counter at JH lay a beautiful new SRAM X.0 derailleur, complete with shiney canister and $370.00 price tag. Later at Overtime, same derailleur $250.00 tag, said he'd let it go for $235.00…

Maybe JH should be called BendOver ?

July 10, 2005, 5:14 a.m.

Maybe JH should be called BendOver ?

Wow, you catch on quick don't you :lol:

July 10, 2005, 11:27 a.m.

Wow, you catch on quick don't you :lol:

July 10, 2005, 9:23 p.m.

I believe I recall another thread that bashed JH for pricing, doesn't sound constructive to me. What gives people the rights to expect deals? Do you expect deals at Safeway/Telus/Gas stations/coffee shops????
My purpose here is not to defend JH, but if you look at the community things that they do and strongly support then it may shed some light on bottom dollar. If you are so interested in expectations of deals you should have been at the JH days weekend sale then you could expect low pricing.
If you look at all the sponsor programs that exist currently you will find that there is no money in the cycling industry to support riders/trail associations/community programs. Yes it is true that there are some huge companies that look like they can afford it but what about the overall industry? why don't bike mechanics (generally speaking) make fair wage for their knowledge and expertise??? Hmm, expected bro pricing once again affecting bottom dollar.
I have heard the arguement that certain companies do support industry by going to events and selling cheap product, hmm is that really helping the industry? our sport? Yes in the short run it helps struggling racers but are they not making profit off being at a race supported by official sponsors?
What does the cheapest part achieve? I agree that paying for parts sucks! and I know that there are a lot of peeps who know my situation, But contrary to popular belief I have to pay for things too… I know the cost of riding, but I also know what happens to a industry that is forced to run thin margins. Commercial lease is not cheap, nor is labour, complain about not getting a job when you expect to have the cheapest parts.

Flame on…

July 10, 2005, 9:35 p.m.

On that note, we were doing some LBS browsing today. Under the counter at JH lay a beautiful new SRAM X.0 derailleur, complete with shiney canister and $370.00 price tag. Later at Overtime, same derailleur $250.00 tag, said he'd let it go for $235.00. Someone's making a profit. That's what I like about Overtime. I go in and say "What's on sale today?". They usually reply "Everything!"

does overtime have a website?

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

July 10, 2005, 9:58 p.m.

July 10, 2005, 10:20 p.m.

does overtime have a website?

:google:

http://www.overtimesportsinc.com/

July 11, 2005, 6:49 a.m.

I believe I recall another thread that bashed JH for pricing, doesn't sound constructive to me. What gives people the rights to expect deals? Do you expect deals at Safeway/Telus/Gas stations/coffee shops????
My purpose here is not to defend JH, but if you look at the community things that they do and strongly support then it may shed some light on bottom dollar. If you are so interested in expectations of deals you should have been at the JH days weekend sale then you could expect low pricing.
If you look at all the sponsor programs that exist currently you will find that there is no money in the cycling industry to support riders/trail associations/community programs. Yes it is true that there are some huge companies that look like they can afford it but what about the overall industry? why don't bike mechanics (generally speaking) make fair wage for their knowledge and expertise??? Hmm, expected bro pricing once again affecting bottom dollar.
I have heard the arguement that certain companies do support industry by going to events and selling cheap product, hmm is that really helping the industry? our sport? Yes in the short run it helps struggling racers but are they not making profit off being at a race supported by official sponsors?

No need to flame… its technically true. Overtime tends to have deals because they don't have the newest shiniest part. Like closeout BlackSpire Stems for $35 instead of the list price of $125… they tend to buy a lot of last years stock (Marz. forks included) and then instead of giving it the old markup (and making a bunch of coin) they share the savings with customers.

Additionaly, unlike many of the bike shops (not all… props to Dizzy [HTML_REMOVED] Local Ride) around Overtime has excellent technical advice, top notch mechanical work, and pretty good customer service to boot.

July 11, 2005, 3:27 p.m.

What does the cheapest part achieve? I agree that paying for parts sucks! and I know that there are a lot of peeps who know my situation, But contrary to popular belief I have to pay for things too… I know the cost of riding, but I also know what happens to a industry that is forced to run thin margins. Commercial lease is not cheap, nor is labour, complain about not getting a job when you expect to have the cheapest parts.

Flame on…

I agree JH is an awesome shop.

But, you can pay your full retail "Bent over" JH sticker prices.

I'll stick to deals and sales whenever I can. :agree:

Plus, JH is able to profit because of guys like you. So on behalf of cheap, poor, kids like me, THANKS!

Sober

July 11, 2005, 4:18 p.m.

would you pay a couple hundred bucks a month out of your jeans to shop a the local gas station or family grocery store how about the old days of 1.00 a minute long distance. Everyone has to put thier dough back in thier own jeans at the end of the day.

the other side of the coin IP is there are to many guys willing to open a bike shop for no profit / work as a cheap mechanic / startup a new bike company and diluting the profit. Just anouther way of looking at it .

By the way there are a few products that I will go out of my way and buck up the cash for without comparison shopping because I know the quality kicks ass and your gear is one of them

July 11, 2005, 4:22 p.m.

I agree JH is an awesome shop.

But, you can pay your full retail "Bent over" JH sticker prices.

I'll stick to deals and sales whenever I can. :agree:

Plus, JH is able to profit because of guys like you. So on behalf of cheap, poor, kids like me, THANKS!

you can pay full sticker prices anywhere. so that's hardly the point. it's a fact that JH and the other shops in NV dont make a 1/3 as much as most people think. most repair depts dont even cover the costs it takes to operate them… they merely exist as a customer service.

if one pays sticker prices, it time to discover what a few cases of beer over a season can do to prices at your lbs. :agree: