Burke development endangers trails

Jan. 27, 2014, 8:22 a.m.

A concern I have is the fact that they removed the official BC Parks map board located just past the yellow gate, it was a little beat up but structurally sound. I wonder why it was removed?

They're going to sell the park and built right to the top now.

Seriously…I thought the posts supporting the sign rotted and broke.
BC Parks is broke. Probably low priority to fix it.

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 27, 2014, 8:31 a.m.

indeed. is it even in the best interests of mtb'ers to acknowledge or bring to the attention of politicians there's an extensive trail network up there?

If we try to save the trails outside the park, could we lose them all, on the mountain for biking? Good question but I don't think so.

Although they (city, politians, bc parks) are aware of the trails they may not want publicly recognize them. They probably hike on the trails and their kids probably bike them. There are examples of recognized bike trails in bc parks. Without these trails on Burke, all the other trail users like hikers, trail runners, snowshoe'ers, dog walkers, etc would have, would be the few boring roads to use. The trail maintenance (building) on Burke has changed in the last few years as it has everywhere with sustainability, rider safety and other trail users in mind. There are several things that could threaten our riding there. Years ago parks did come in and chainsaw a "dangerous" trail.

If parks were approached it may not end well for us though.

The development bordering the park is a whole different thing, with all the work that has been put into these trails, it would be a shame to lose them.

Judging by how many riders lap these trails and how far they come to ride Burke, this is not just a local concern.
I'm not sure if NSMBA can help?
I have absolutely no idea what to do other than call the city and politian's, and what's that going to do.

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 27, 2014, 1:14 p.m.

Understandably, the tone of this thread is pessimistic but thank fook this isn't the USA. I very much doubt Burke will find itself in the same situation of the North Fork trails in Glacier, WA where officials came in and chain-sawed all the trails and slapped fines on anyone riding the DNR land.

I'm guessing most developers, public officials and politicians are pragmatic in situations like this. As development pushes further up the mountain, they'll have to realize "facilities" have to be provided. Just take a look at any local newspaper and see how new real estate developments are marketed - I'll bet there'll be at least one advert showing a cute chick out trail running, hiking or mountain biking with her hunky husband and kids.

So, developers can be persuaded to leave trails in or replace like-for-like (I believe BPP are doing this on Cypress). Public officials don't have resources or the backing of sufficiently stiff laws (unlike the US?) to prevent (or monitor illegal) trail-building.

Politicians need to be re-elected so, unless you're up against a rabid Ernie Crist/Mike Vanderman type, they could be persuaded to support limited trail development.

After all, what is the alternative? As families move in:
they need some outlet for their kids to burn off energy and you won't be able to stop teenagers building crappy trails unless proper ones exist.
Dog walkers want somewhere to exercise the mutt
People generally don't want to live in a concrete jungle so green space will still exist for fun trails…

Jan. 27, 2014, 4:58 p.m.

TORCA is involved in promoting and advocating for all areas in the Tri-Cities (including Burke.) We don't hold trail days at Burke as there are sensitive issues mainly due to the trails being (mostly) in Park land. TORCA is certainly in a position to deal with governments regarding these lands though, and is monitoring the situation and will act accordingly.

Please help support TORCA and give us a louder voice by becoming a member.

any thoughts on what actions the good folks at torca might take?

Jan. 27, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

Here is an editorial about the land sale.
There is mention of how residents saved Bert Flynn park in Port Moody from development after residents fought for a referendum.

http://www.tricitynews.com/opinion/241333861.html

Step #1…get the media involved.

Unfortunately, if we lose the trails on the development reserve they can not be replaced as the only land left would be park land.
Besides being an enormous amount of work, cutting a bunch of new lines probably wouldn't go over well with parks.

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 27, 2014, 7:53 p.m.

Does anybody know someone with some political clout in the Coquitlam area?

It seems Port Moody has a Mayor who is a mtb'er…so this helps Port Moody, but likely does shit for Burke.

I'm thinking we look for someone with a somewhat open ear to this. Even if the person is a hiker or outdoors person at all it would like help to approach them first.

Jan. 27, 2014, 9:34 p.m.

Does anybody know someone with some political clout in the Coquitlam area?

I'm thinking we look for someone with a somewhat open ear to this. Even if the person is a hiker or outdoors person at all it would like help to approach them first.

Have you read the bio's of mayor and council at Coquitlam??? Not a single one list outdoor recreation or the outdoors as an area of interest and few list any kind of sustainability. It's Coquitlam - a municipality typically governed by developers and elected officials generally run on low tax platforms versus any real advocacy role. This is the heritage of Coquitlam mayor and council. http://www.coquitlam.ca/city-hall/mayor-and-council/overview.aspx

Perhaps the best political window is Fin Donnelly: http://findonnelly.ndp.ca/

But he sits very squarely on the other side of the fence then most of mayor and council. He was a former councillor for Coquitlam and had a very rough ride.

We should also be reviewing the Burke Mtn OCP and see if the zoning on these parcels meshes with the vision of the OCP, which has largely been ignored in the development of Burke lands to date. I hope to find some time this weekend to do this.

Jan. 27, 2014, 10:05 p.m.

I did look at the members and my opinion mirrors yours…..not a fit looking bunch for the most part.

The one does run a boys scout group on Burke
http://www.coquitlam.ca/city-hall/mayor-and-council/mayor-and-council/councillor-craig-hodge.aspx

and another runs is a director of a kids sports group
http://www.coquitlam.ca/city-hall/mayor-and-council/mayor-and-council/councillor-chris-wilson.aspx

Jan. 27, 2014, 10:12 p.m.

If anyone knows any info that would help please feel free to post up….

If anyone from FVMBA, NSMBA or SORCA(or any other group) has any idea where to go from here, I'm sure everyone would love to hear what you have to say.

I still don't know how far one presses things with trails still remaining within park boundaries. Little scary as to what the negative repercussions might be. Although the examples of MTB trails inside park boundaries are few, they all seem to be negative.

Jan. 28, 2014, 8:51 a.m.

any thoughts on what actions the good folks at torca might take?

TORCA has been exploring the options and gaining input from others who have experience in this type of thing. For the time being, TORCA is meeting with the City of Coquitlam next week.

Please feel free to send any concerns to TORCA via this link: http://www.torca.ca/contact/

Again, it would be great to have more members at TORCA. We need a louder voice! We have been making progress and are gaining recognition as a legitimate user group with the local governments. Currently, we are consulting with the City of Coquitlam and the City of Port Moody on different bike park projects. We are also making steps towards legitimizing trails where we can.

We currently offer a free membership, but will be moving to a paid membership later this year (with liability insurance) to allow us to do more in the future.

Please join! http://www.torca.ca/membership/

Jan. 28, 2014, 9:24 a.m.

Time for a local mountain biker to step up as a potential Councillor?

Jan. 28, 2014, 11:06 a.m.

Maybe the Sooke riders can chime in - why did the Jordan River site become a 'hands off' experience (at municipal taxpayers expense) while this site in Coquitlam is full-steam ahead?

Is it as simply as the CRD responding to loud Nimby voices on the south island whereas the loadest voices/lobbists in Coquitlam are a pro-development?

NSMBA member.

Jan. 28, 2014, 11:53 a.m.

I am going to email the mayor and councilors of Coquitlam my concerns over the development of parcels 7 and 8 north east of the hairpin on Harper road, as a very concerned citizen who enjoys hiking with my family and walk our dog in this area and on these trails.

I encourage EVERYONE in Coquitlam and the Tri-Citys to do the same
The sale of the land is starting on Feb 4

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:18 p.m.

with the development, looks like we'de lose fluid, brap, ray ray's fun run, green basterd, dawg, and one other trail lower down, i think it's called hustler.

anything i missed?

i don't understand why they're going so far up the hill when there's still so much land farther down, closer to everything else, that could be developed first.

Jan. 28, 2014, 5:01 p.m.

with the development, looks like we'de lose fluid, brap, ray ray's fun run, green basterd, dawg, and one other trail lower down, i think it's called hustler.

anything i missed?

i don't understand why they're going so far up the hill when there's still so much land farther down, closer to everything else, that could be developed first.

Ya, probably one of my favorite trails on the mountain…Franks

They may not build on the land the trails are on for a year or two, but they may be concerned about us being on their property.
I hope they don't destroy the trails right after the sale. I wouldn't be hard.

Maybe they could be persuaded to build lower on the hill first?

Chainsmoker 8)