Bend, Oregon Road trip - suggestions?

Sept. 14, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

Hey everyone,

My Dad and I are heading down to Bend for the 23rd - 30th of September. We went to Moab in spring of 08 and 09, but it's time for a change.

Neither of us are into anything too crazy. Even I am old enough to really enjoy cross-country again. Climb + descent is right up our alley as well. If you know of anything worth checking out, please let me know. We haven't done much research yet (lots of time left… :rolleyes:), so if you know of any good information resources, that would be helpful too.

Thank you!

MMMmmmm… Riding

Sept. 15, 2010, 7:13 a.m.

on the way i suggest ape canyon, mt st helens. a fantastic ride.ape to windy ridge out and back would be good but adding the smith creek section is good also. mtbr is good for oregon trail listings.

Sept. 16, 2010, 3:33 p.m.

http://www.adventuremaps.net/central_oregon_trail_map

You want this map. Plenty of XC riding to be had in the Bend area. I went there this time last year. I'd also recommend trying out the Oakridge and Mt Hood areas of Oregon.

Sept. 17, 2010, 5:27 p.m.

My wife and I were in Bend the middle of August.:clap:
If you like big XC rides you are in for a real treat.
We used Cog Wild for guide service. day 1 was Batchelor to Bend.
30 miles of sweet single track all the way from the Mt Bachelor Ski area back into town 1500' of climbing and 4000' of descending. day 2 we used Cog Wild's shuttle bus to ride McKenzie River trail. 26 miles of sweet single track. $40 for the shuttle ride if they can get 6 people for the trip. Much easier than trying to arrange your own shuttle. Also better for beers during the drive home
day 3 I spent riding some of the Phils Trail system while my wife rested. The locals like Storm King, Funner, COD, KGB. Go to the Lair for the dirt jumps and stunts.

If you don't want to buck up for the guide buy the COTA trail map ($12)from one of the bike shops. Better yet buy the map anyway. The trail map and markings are excellent. With the map it's easy to find your way around.

After the big rides you can play for days in the Phil's trail system, just west of town. Dont miss Whoops - 2 miles of berms and table tops. I like Moab but I'll be going back to Bend before I go back to Moab!

Sept. 22, 2010, 1:20 p.m.

on the way i suggest ape canyon, mt st helens.

definitely worthwhile

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 22, 2010, 1:28 p.m.

2nd Ape Canyon

Mckenzie River Trail

Oakridge

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 22, 2010, 1:37 p.m.

couple buddies just got back from a 3 day epic guided by Cog Wild. They were really impressed with the services provided by Cog Wild and had a great time. They said the trails were a lot of fun. Both were riding 5" dually trail bikes.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 19, 2010, 5:58 p.m.

what trails did you ride?