Sleeping outside without a tent

July 13, 2014, 8:30 a.m.

The Duffy can be brutal this time of year with motorhomes etc doing 50 the whole way. Later at night isn't too bad. If you are doing Calgary, I'd try to push farther than the Coq summit day 1. Try to get to at least Salmon Arm, Revy, or Roger's Pass. The hotel at Rogers shut down, I'm sure you could crash in the parking lot there. I'd stay in the car to keep critters away

July 13, 2014, 8:32 a.m.

depending on what fery i catch I might just fuckin rip er up through pemberton
fuck vancouver rush hour.

I don't know buds. unless you take horseshoe bay ferry . coming across the lower mainland to go north isnt worth it . The duffy will be a bigger hazard than the coq . In both other motorist and wildlife .

Zedbra is right. Hit the Coq , half sack on the beach in salmon arm . short drive to Calgary the next morning.

July 13, 2014, 8:35 a.m.

The Duffy can be brutal this time of year with motorhomes etc doing 50 the whole way. Later at night isn't too bad. If you are doing Calgary, I'd try to push farther than the Coq summit day 1. Try to get to at least Salmon Arm, Revy, or Roger's Pass. The hotel at Rogers shut down, I'm sure you could crash in the parking lot there. I'd stay in the car to keep critters away

Really? Cause I won't be leaving horseshoe bay till after 3pm at the earliest.
I guess it will depend on what ferry I catch. If I have to work a full day that pushes it back pretty late.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 13, 2014, 8:36 a.m.

I don't know buds. unless you take horseshoe bay ferry . coming across the lower mainland to go north isnt worth it . The duffy will be a bigger hazard than the coq

Good to know.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 13, 2014, 11:10 a.m.

Really? Cause I won't be leaving horseshoe bay till after 3pm at the earliest.
I guess it will depend on what ferry I catch. If I have to work a full day that pushes it back pretty late.

3-6pm the traffic sucks traveling east, you may as well hit the Duffy and enjoy the drive. Booking it from Squamish to Kamloops is 4 hours. Leisurley is 5ish. The worse part of the drive to Calgary is Kamloops to Banff - lots of single lane traffic and slow vehicles. The more of a dent you can put into this section late at night or early morning, the better. The cops in and around Golden are always, I mean ALWAYS, doing radar. Sometimes 10k leaving town, they set up.

July 13, 2014, 11:26 a.m.

agreed zed . . . i do just about anything to avoid heading out through the fraser valley at rush hour , and the route up and over the duffy through lillooet , cache creek to kamloops will be very pleasant at that time of the day .

July 13, 2014, 11:39 a.m.

agreed zed . . . i do just about anything to avoid heading out through the fraser valley at rush hour , and the route up and over the duffy through lillooet , cache creek to kamloops will be very pleasant at that time of the day .

Just lots of wildlife on the duffy through to cache creek after 8pm at night .
keep your eyes peeled and life should be good.
Agreed that it is a more pleasant drive . Just a little more mental and visual work than cruising the coq

July 13, 2014, 11:44 a.m.

Yeah, it's also the start of my road trip to California so might as well go scenic early. Not exactly in a rush either.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 13, 2014, 12:37 p.m.

Another option is to head south. According to Google you are 3 hrs slower to go to calgary via I-90. It's up to you if the cheaper fuel makes up for it. That assumes you don't have anything planned between Van and Calgary.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

July 13, 2014, 12:39 p.m.

Nah once im in calgary the pplan is to hit going to the sun highway then down to missoula and cross idaho on the 12. that is unless you have a better suggestion of how to get to portland/crater lake area.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 13, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

Just take the freeway. It'll be busy but you'll lose less time than any other route. The new freeway improvements have helped a lot.

Start at a cheap motel in Merrit or Kamloops.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 13, 2014, 2:34 p.m.

Ignore all these other turkeys and just listen to Zed.

Pastor of Muppets

July 13, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

I wouldn't do the Duffy, did it at night when a forest fire closed hwy1 and it took me 6hrs from Lytton to Vancouver in the dark. Depending on time (after 11), I doubt there will be an open gas station from Pemberton to Cache Creek. Keep that in mind.

July 13, 2014, 4:41 p.m.

Try to spend some time in Waterton NP and Glacier NP in Montana. They are both beautiful, although it will be a shitshow at this time. Hit up The Park Cafe at the St. Mary entrance to Glacier NP. The Going to the Sun Hwy is a great drive. I'd say do it at the crack of dawn when traffic is light. I don't know anything about the 12 but the I-90 is a good way to kill a lot of miles westbound from Missoula. The speed limit is 75 mph most of the time. Coeur d'Alene is nice. West of Spokane, the I-90 becomes the most boring drive on earth but it's good if you want to get somewhere fast. When you hit Hood River, go South to Mt. Hood and get the 97 South through Bend, Smith Rock State Park, Deschutes Nat'l Forest etc. on your way to Crater Lake. There is a lot to see and do in Montana and Oregon.

I apologize for this ^ miserable paragraph. Have fun!

July 13, 2014, 4:58 p.m.

I wouldn't do the Duffy, did it at night when a forest fire closed hwy1 and it took me 6hrs from Lytton to Vancouver in the dark. Depending on time (after 11), I doubt there will be an open gas station from Pemberton to Cache Creek. Keep that in mind.

you driving Miss Daisey. That long skinny pedal on the right - use it or gtf outta the way