Projects affected by the Credit Crunch....

Oct. 21, 2008, 9:57 p.m.

Oil patch is going to start drying up in alberta im glad i got out of it. If you want to buy toys id buy them this spring. Natural gas is still doing quite well

Oct. 21, 2008, 10:10 p.m.

Are the big construction jobs first to feel the pinch?

Anyone else in another industry have anything to add?

not just construction. i'm in legal, my firm does big deals - mergers and acquisitions. we still have little ones going on, but nothing like what it was a year, or even two years, ago. changes to the tax laws (ie no more income funds) have a bearing on that as well. the only good thing is that if they lay me off, i'll get severance. lots of jobs available in legal - i could find something else but probably have to take a pay cut.

i was 17 in 1982 so it didn't affect me much…one thing i do recall is my parents selling their condo at a loss as the RE market tanked.

Oct. 21, 2008, 10:13 p.m.

where's pedro in all of this?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 21, 2008, 10:15 p.m.

I was born in 81, but my parents talk of the crazy mortgage rates.

I'm flying back to BC tomorrow, and hope to set up a life there again. I wonder how things will go for me. I guess it's good I wasn't counting on construction jobs.

Oct. 21, 2008, 10:18 p.m.

. lots of jobs available in legal - i could find something else but probably have to take a pay cut.

A few weeks ago there were hundreds in the Van Craigslist legal job section. It would seem you'd have easy pickings.

I've done some work in criminal law and there are very few of those types listed.

I figure WalMart execs and crim lawyers are the only few whose profits rise in a recession.

Oct. 21, 2008, 11:53 p.m.

I have been in the trades for 20 years and have never been out of work for more than a week. Currently have been working mostly custom homes on the north shore. I am lined up till spring but a few already are second guessing everything and even backing out off deals and putting there plans to build on "hold". As these pre crash jobs dry up the new bidding will be very frustrating as many of the scab crews that have been let go first in the trades will be undercutting all over the place just to eat. Mentality will change and things will get ugly as competition becomes desperate. I think Jan to march will be pivotal months………i am stocking up on beans and rice before it takes a wheel barrow full of money to by a loaf of bread. My new business card will read "will work for beans [HTML_REMOVED] bike parts"

i hope i am wrong……good luck everyone

Oct. 22, 2008, midnight

The sky is falling…good luck everyone

:eek:

Oct. 22, 2008, 12:53 a.m.

:eek:

LOL i allmost did write in "the sky is falling"…..you shouldnt mess with my quote…………..but i have been watching too much crap like this for the last few months before it all started. At least i waited till the sky actually started to fall haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqRsjie3Quc

written in 06 http://www.naturalnews.com/019659.html

this market collapse and currency restructure has been talked about on the Internet for a while now. Main stream media is a very shallow view of what lies beneath. Until now this stuff was just all predictions speculations of a few……Hopefully all that comes from all this is just a wake up call to remind the masses what really matters in life and not a full blown global depression.

Oct. 22, 2008, 6:34 a.m.

Hopefully all that comes from all this is just a wake up call to remind the masses what really matters in life and not a full blown global depression.

I hope so… but look what the blackout of the entire east coast did… nothing. People are still going to want things that they can't afford.

Sure has taught me a lesson though!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Oct. 22, 2008, 6:44 a.m.

You can add my basement finishing to the list of scrapped projects.

Oct. 22, 2008, 7:05 a.m.

This credit crunch forced my LBS to close its doors. A good friend was in mist of negotiating to purchase the store when the markets collapsed, basically erasing the $ he had lined up.
Thankfully however we have some very passionate customers who are backing the new plan that's about to emerge outa of the ashes.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2008/10/18/7126281-sun.html

http://www.freepressonstrike.com/?p=827

http://www.cbc.ca/national/latestbroadcast.html @ 15:50

www.gords.com

On another note, I manufacture product for the construction industry and my sales have never been better. It helps when your product is the best money can buy and you worked your ass the last couple of years getting specified for large projects here and across N.A.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Oct. 22, 2008, 8:03 a.m.

We have a lot of work lined up at my IT firm so I'm safe for now. However I did hear yesterday that we've put all hiring on hold until things get better.

Oct. 22, 2008, 8:27 a.m.

We have a lot of work lined up at my IT firm so I'm safe for now. However I did hear yesterday that we've put all hiring on hold until things get better.

Work lined up can be canceled. IT spend on new projects has been put on hold in many businesses.

Oct. 22, 2008, 8:59 a.m.

This is actually a good thing to the defense construction industry. For the longest time, we got money from Treasury Board for projects (esp seismic upgrades and contamination cleanup), but contractors have been so busy with major residential and commercial jobs that they don't bother with government. It means that some of the projects I'm working on might actually get started soon, because those contractors will be looking for jobs and we've got lots.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Oct. 22, 2008, 9:47 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqRsjie3Quc

I now have this urge to run out and buy gold, a gun, and canned food.