Oh harper..

Sept. 11, 2012, 12:28 p.m.

Jesus F*cking Kee-rist …

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/134718-ottawa-taking-auditor-to-court

The House of Commons is taking Canada’s auditor general to court to stop him from revealing documents around his high-profile F-35 committee appearance.

An application filed by the House of Commons in Federal Court last Friday shows House lawyers tried but failed to convince auditor general Michael Ferguson to reject an access to information request for his own correspondence.

Now they’re seeking a court injunction to gag the auditor general. It is likely the first time this has happened in Canada.

The documents in question have to do with Ferguson’s news-making appearance before Parliament’s public accounts committee in May, where he argued the Defence Department was lowballing the cost of F-35 fighter jets by billions of dollars.

We need to remove these assholes from government. How can any rational thinker support this shit?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 11, 2012, 1:15 p.m.

KenN, what you say about this?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-shoots-down-plan-to-revive-avro-arrow-fighter-plane/article4535481/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 11, 2012, 1:47 p.m.

I think the idea MAY have had more merit than the cons were willing to give it, but I don't really know enough about development and production costs to form a reasonably informed opinion. Of course, the cons are trying to muzzle anyone who does know that info so forming an informed opinion is virtually impossible.

Kn.

Sept. 11, 2012, 1:57 p.m.

I think the idea MAY have had more merit than the cons were willing to give it, but I don't really know enough about development and production costs to form a reasonably informed opinion. Of course, the cons are trying to muzzle anyone who does know that info so forming an informed opinion is virtually impossible.

Kn.

Easier to do when most who remember this are either dead or sitting in some rest home for the old and senile.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 11, 2012, 2:17 p.m.

KenN, what you say about this?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-shoots-down-plan-to-revive-avro-arrow-fighter-plane/article4535481/

And why not? Canada needs a supersonic, high-altitude, delta-wing interceptor from the 1960s with the aerial maneuverability of a coffin because that seems to be the only type of role our air force will ever need. Nevermind the fact that the Arrow failed to reach either of the Mach 2 top speed or 2G turn requirements in testing. (The standard for modern high performance combat aircraft is 9G turns, with a full weapons load).

Close air support? Sure, from 50,000 feet. They'll never see us coming!

Sept. 11, 2012, 2:18 p.m.

What I think is cool, though, is …

Someone went to the trouble of making a full-scale mockup based on all the sketchy info available - given that there was a massive purge of all plans and models at the time the original program was scrapped, that would be a hell of a job right there.

Comments suggesting that the tech developed by Avro (decades ago) is still pretty much leading edge today.

Kn.

Sept. 11, 2012, 2:20 p.m.

And why not? Canada needs a supersonic, high-altitude, delta-wing interceptor from the 1960s with the aerial maneuverability of a coffin because that seems to be the only type of role our air force will ever need. Nevermind the fact that the Arrow failed to reach either of the Mach 2 top speed or 2G turn requirements in testing. (The standard for modern high performance combat aircraft is 9G turns, with a full weapons load).

Close air support? Sure, from 50,000 feet. They'll never see us coming!

You really don't think that any new development program wouldn't take modern performance requirements into the picture? Seriously?

Kn.

Sept. 11, 2012, 3:01 p.m.

What I think is cool, though, is …

Someone went to the trouble of making a full-scale mockup based on all the sketchy info available - given that there was a massive purge of all plans and models at the time the original program was scrapped, that would be a hell of a job right there.

Comments suggesting that the tech developed by Avro (decades ago) is still pretty much leading edge today.

Kn.

I would like to know why the government went way out of their way to destroy everything associated with the Avro program. Did the USA tell us to do it? Why not just stop the program [HTML_REMOVED] file the documents away in a library?

Thread killer

Sept. 11, 2012, 3:16 p.m.

I would like to know why the government went way out of their way to destroy everything associated with the Avro program. Did the USA tell us to do it? Why not just stop the program [HTML_REMOVED] file the documents away in a library?

Clive Cussler used to have some show on History channel I'm guessing 8-10 years ago. One show was on the Arrow. Went down to Picton where the old BCATP station used to be. Where they fired off the original test models. According to their research the Avro Arrow was canceled and everything destroyed due to self doubt and the party in power wanted it to vanish of the face of the earth.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 11, 2012, 3:47 p.m.

Oh … and National Defence is paying $100 million to a private firm.

http://www.canada.com/business/million+private+firm+replace+laid+workers/7220409/story.html

To provide the same services that were performed by recently laid off DND staff!

Kn.

Sept. 11, 2012, 4:57 p.m.

http://www.canada.com/business/million+private+firm+replace+laid+workers/7220409/story.html

To provide the same services that were performed by recently laid off DND staff!

Kn.

yawn

Same old pattern.. cut costs by cutting the Reserve Forces as usual. Next week some genius at Fort Fumble will have a light bulb moment, dig through a dusty filing cabinet, find the Total Force file, come up with a new title, and present it as a "New" idea.

And I'm guessing the contractor they hire will be SNC Lavelin. Who ironically hired retired Reg Force vehicle techs and such to keep vehicles running in Afghanistan. Many ex reg force personnel here in Kingston went over to do that.

On another topic, what you think of the closing of our Tehran embassy?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 11, 2012, 5:27 p.m.

We should close the one in Israel too.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 11, 2012, 6:29 p.m.

Kn.

Welcome to USA North. Same shit been going on down south for years. Eventually, the right
down there wants to privatize the military.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 11, 2012, 6:46 p.m.

i wanna get stoned with stephen harper

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

Sept. 11, 2012, 6:58 p.m.

Welcome to USA North. Same shit been going on down south for years. Eventually, the right
down there wants to privatize the military.

Back in 93 things like the post office, CANEX- our version of a PX, and front gate staff where civvy staff. The Commisionaires where basically a DND civvy security- ex military. Now it's a private company. Things like fitness where run by PERI staff who where military.. Rewoga will know of them. Again now civvy staff.

Interestingly some of those lay offs mentioned are temporary contract type jobs. Best example was during Yugoslavia Reserve Force members could volunteer to go, do all the training, and then at the last minute be sent to say CFS Alert to fill a Reg Force members position while DND sends that Reg Force guy overseas. Know a few guys back in 94 who had that happen. And when the tour was up the position would be taken back by Reg Force personnel. And the reservist would return to their reserve unit.

So with a operational pace being higher in Afghanistan it's only logical that DND would look for temporary staff to do the same as it would free up both Reg and Reserve Force personnel to maintain that tempo. And it's only logical that with those troops returning and the pace has decreased that the positions are now redundant for temporary civvy staff that those jobs and tasks filled by Reg Force personnel prior to Afghanistan be retasked to Reg Force personnel. Only reason the union is whining is because really it's a cut in their union dues and not about the jobs.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk