I'm ashamed of my own people.

Dec. 16, 2008, 3:25 a.m.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/12/2008_greek_riots.html

These people praise communism and anarchy yet a lot of them don't understnad what it was like.

My mother and father grew up when greece was in civil war with the communists in the 50's and during the junta in the 70's. I'm just in awe by the trend in europe.

Dec. 16, 2008, 6:13 a.m.

Couple of points,

- From what I understand Greece has a history of riots. Especially the one's caused by students from the universities. And because of a clash long ago where several students died the police no longer pursue the students onto the uni campus. So now it's kind of like a sport- gather large group of students, protest, agitate police, and then retreat back to campus.

- According to a recent Globe article on this. It appears the general population is fed up with this riot. As there have been a few incidents of the llocals beating the crap out of some of the rioters.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2008, 6:21 a.m.

- According to a recent Globe article on this. It appears the general population is fed up with this riot. As a few incidents of the llocals beating the crap out of some of the rioters.

Hope they riot against the rioters….:argue:

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Dec. 16, 2008, 6:51 a.m.

I thought this was going to be about toilet paper people in public bathrooms.

Dec. 16, 2008, 7:32 a.m.

Wow, Amazing pics. The one of a laser pointer is awesome.

It sounds like the 15 year old who was killed was throwing fire bombs at police. Where I come from, if someone is trying to engulf you in flames, that's a good time to protect yourself. That said, I do not know all the details so I will reserve judgment.

As for the protestors, there is a big difference between painting a sign and making a fire bomb. If you come packed with weapons, ski goggles, a helmet and a covered face, you aren't a protestor, you are a hooligan. There is a big difference between civil disobedience and just plain old violence.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:28 a.m.

fuck. Seems like Communism and anarchy are the trendwhoreism of the day. Its like Apple products, but for hippies.

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:37 a.m.

I thought this was about Richmond.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:41 a.m.

Why is it that anarchy (ism) and communism are seen as realted? When you think about it, they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Also, many ppl assume anarchy and anarchism are the same. In fact, they are not. Anrachy's meaning is obvious and generally represents the breakdown of an otherwise peaceful society once enforcement of long standing rules has been interupted. Anarchism implies a societal system where people live peacefully without organized enforcement of rules.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:50 a.m.

On a sidenote, I think I'm officially hooked on that boston.com "the Big Picture". That's three times I've seen incredible coverage from them: there's something extra nice about no text, just photos.

This space intentionally left blank.

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:50 a.m.

I thought this was about Richmond.

i totally overlooked that possibility…

Dec. 16, 2008, 8:57 a.m.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/12/2008_greek_riots.html

These people praise communism and anarchy yet a lot of them don't understnad what it was like.

My mother and father grew up when greece was in civil war with the communists in the 50's and during the junta in the 70's. I'm just in awe by the trend in europe.

It is not everywhere in Europe - just in some countries, such as Italy and Greece, with Greece being the worst. Incidents like that have happened a lot during the last twenty years or so.

Germany sees a rising wave of right-wing extremists looking like far-left anarchists (was called "The Black Block" - and you did not want to be near them when they appeared on the scene), just that they do not preach about Che and use violence as an excuse, but these guys preach about Nazi doctrine and such stuff. Different color same bullshit.

And the Greek politicians (as far as I understood from the recent European based media articles on that one) have not done their job properly.

The pictures are incredible and really get the tension and atmosphere across. It reminds me of the late 80s and some incidents over here in Central Europe. Similar stuff, just different country.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 16, 2008, 9:58 a.m.

I wonder what NSMB's resident protestor and brick hucker has to add.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2008, 10:12 a.m.

I wonder what NSMB's resident protestor and brick hucker has to add.

time difference in china means we should have heard from him over night

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Dec. 16, 2008, 10:17 a.m.

Why is it that anarchy (ism) and communism are seen as realted? When you think about it, they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

True, but it actually makes for sense to think of these political ideologies as cicular. When you reach the absolute extremes of right wing facism and left wing communism, they actually tend to overlap due to the high degree of government control. In essence in either situation you end up with an Orwellian society and thus I think the confusion develops.

Dec. 16, 2008, 10:26 a.m.

True, but it actually makes for sense to think of these political ideologies as cicular. When you reach the absolute extremes of right wing facism and left wing communism, they actually tend to overlap due to the high degree of government control. In essence in either situation you end up with an Orwellian society and thus I think the confusion develops.

In effect, I guess you;re right. But in principle the fascists blv the leader has ultimate authority, wheras the communists blv the people have the authority in a collective sense, no?

Two very different ideologies, which when applied in the real world function the same way :)