ICBC

Jan. 29, 2018, 7:36 p.m.

Aat the end of the day the problem isn't the politicians, the problem is us. The politicians are simply giving us what we're screaming for, we don't want to pay the freight for what we really need to do. If four years ago the Libs had said look we're in financial trouble and we have to make these cuts and we have to raise these taxes do you think you would have voted for them? Fuck no - who else can I vote for instead? As long as anyone else but me has to pay for this shit (schools, infrastructure, hospitals, social programs, etc etc) then I'm happy seems to be the prevailing mindset when it comes to politics.

Jan. 29, 2018, 9:02 p.m.

What if no one voted next election? Not a single person. What would happen?

Thread killer

Jan. 30, 2018, 8:32 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Aat the end of the day the problem isn't the politicians, the problem is us. The politicians are simply giving us what we're screaming for, we don't want to pay the freight for what we really need to do. If four years ago the Libs had said look we're in financial trouble and we have to make these cuts and we have to raise these taxes do you think you would have voted for them? Fuck no - who else can I vote for instead? As long as anyone else but me has to pay for this shit (schools, infrastructure, hospitals, social programs, etc etc) then I'm happy seems to be the prevailing mindset when it comes to politics.

I disagree.  That's the same defence deployed by the auto industry ... "we can't sell fuel efficient cars because the buyers want huge SUVs and pickup trucks".  Meanwhile they throw billions into advertising SUVs and pickup trucks and invest nothing in decent, efficient cars.

The politicians are telling you what you want, and you're lapping up the sexy advertising.  (That's a plural "you").

Feb. 5, 2018, 9:54 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

I disagree.  That's the same defence deployed by the auto industry ... "we can't sell fuel efficient cars because the buyers want huge SUVs and pickup trucks".  Meanwhile they throw billions into advertising SUVs and pickup trucks and invest nothing in decent, efficient cars.

The politicians are telling you what you want, and you're lapping up the sexy advertising.  (That's a plural "you").

That's not a defence as you suggest it, just me stating an opinion of what I see wrong with our political system. Either way we are both suggesting the same thing, that the electorate is ultimately responsible for how the government and politicians  operate. People are far too focused on ideology and voting for their team instead of consideration platforms and action and then responding in kind. We complain about billionaires and corporate wealth yet we're chasing the same bottom line,only in the form of low taxes and what the government is going to "give" me.

Feb. 6, 2018, 1:20 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: KenN

That's not a defence as you suggest it, just me stating an opinion of what I see wrong with our political system. Either way we are both suggesting the same thing, that the electorate is ultimately responsible for how the government and politicians  operate. People are far too focused on ideology and voting for their team instead of consideration platforms and action and then responding in kind. We complain about billionaires and corporate wealth yet we're chasing the same bottom line,only in the form of low taxes and what the government is going to "give" me.

That is just it.  There is a disconnect between what people want and what they are willing to pay for.  In the real world, you pay less, you get less.  If the government runs a deficit for 10 years people get into their ideology trench and either argue that the government is spending too much, or that they are not taxing enough, as though those are 2 different positions.  Those that want cuts want them to affect someone else and those that want higher taxes want them for someone else.

People suck.

"People!  What a bunch of bastards." - Roy, IT Crowd