How much do you know about financial independence?

July 27, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

Two lithium plays for me this year have been ORL.TO and NLC.V. Definitely on the riskier side of my portfolio. I'll also check out PE.V.

July 27, 2016, 10:44 a.m.

Skied in Japan with a group of mining types promoters [HTML_REMOVED] a prospector last Japanuary, they told me Lithium is too hard to make money promoting so stick to gold, my memory is hazy but it was something about it being easier to control for big companies to control the price of lithium or sft, don't know how that would affect holding the stock

one of the guys had been there at bre-ex, said that every morning the same chopper [HTML_REMOVED] pilot would pickup De Guzman, then one morning a different chopper pilot shows up and thats when he "fell" out of the chopper ;) thats what happens when you over salt a gold claim !

Aug. 25, 2016, 12:23 p.m.

So I was talking with my Financial Advisor this morning and the latest that her brokerage is trying to peddle are Principal Protected Notes (see attached) and also Global bonds (mutual fund) . I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either. The PPN seems almost risk-free (if you don't mind the potential of earning 0% after say 5 years, and the global bonds I can't help but think are a way of enabling countries around the world to continue racking up debt..

So…thoughts?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 25, 2016, 3:13 p.m.

So I was talking with my Financial Advisor this morning and the latest that her brokerage is trying to peddle are Principal Protected Notes (see attached) and also Global bonds (mutual fund) . I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either. The PPN seems almost risk-free (if you don't mind the potential of earning 0% after say 5 years, and the global bonds I can't help but think are a way of enabling countries around the world to continue racking up debt..

So…thoughts?

3% commission on those pieces of crap, locked in for 10 years? WTF. Of course she wants to sell you it at with that fee. You could conceivably earn nothing for the entire term (and thus lose money due to inflation and opportunity cost of capital). Why not just buy a low cost bond ETF?

Aug. 25, 2016, 3:14 p.m.

You account.plish the same thing (without the 3% drag by doing the following):

Calculate the present value of your face value for your time period.

Invest that amount in gic (or whatever risk free instrument you want).

Use the difference between future value and present value to buy call options.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Aug. 25, 2016, 3:35 p.m.

So…thoughts?

You'd get more value spending the money on H 'n' B.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 25, 2016, 4:31 p.m.

Pedalling is right, at 3% fees. Just keep pedalling.

VAB or VSC if you you want buy and hold $CAD fixed income at low cost. Theres USD equivalents if you want international bonds.

For long term hold (10+ years):
https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/mvc/detail/etf/overview?portId=9552##overview

For short term hold (3-5 years):
https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/mvc/detail/etf/overview?portId=9553[HTML_REMOVED]assetCode=BOND##overview

Methinks BND is the USD long term version. Haven't looked into it.

Aug. 25, 2016, 4:39 p.m.

As for that Global bond thing - no! Say no to front loaded, deferred service charge funds!

Heres a low cost global bond fund, exUS. 0.37 MER vs 2.07 MER plus 0-0.75 load.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/mvc/detail/etf/overview?portId=9568[HTML_REMOVED]assetCode=BOND##overview

Aug. 25, 2016, 4:45 p.m.

Gotham, phone home (or me if you're still homeless)

Aug. 27, 2016, 7:13 a.m.

So I was thinking a little bit more about this, since I have very little experience with mutual funds or ETFs and whatnot. My situation is different from a lot of you forum users since I am effectively retired and living off of my RRSP. How liquid are these ETFs versus my equities, or even my bonds which I can cash in at any time?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 27, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

ETFs are traded on the markets exactly the same way as equities. So from that aspect, they are just as liquid as equities.

The other aspect is of course trading volumes, but that varies with each equity or ETF.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 27, 2016, 6:14 p.m.

global bond funds are not bad or wrong, but you have to ask yourself the simple question of, what role do bonds/bond funds/bond etf's whatever, play in my overall strategic portfolio. generally, for most people they provide stability and the likelihood of a slight return greater than cash with small probability of negative periods. you can loose money on bonds but it is highly unlikely if you own a fund and don't need the money in the short term. so taking out currency risk and owning only or mostly Cdn bond funds is the most logical choice. it's super boring but it's your money eh, so boring isn't a bad thing. if some degree of growth or even high growth is sought, get that from your equities including global. the promise of solid returns through bond trading strategies is mostly bunk, especially in this market at these rates. why take the currency risk IMO?

Aug. 27, 2016, 6:58 p.m.

Best financial advice I can give is to ditch your Financial Adviser and purchase indexed ETF's.

Aug. 27, 2016, 7:02 p.m.

As you are retired, you might also want to consider dividend paying ETF's.
http://etfdb.com/type/investment-style/dividend-etfs/

Sept. 13, 2016, 2:35 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/transunion-debt-interest-rates-1.3759844

Almost a million Canadians couldn't handle a 1-point interest rate rise, TransUnion says