Hotter than your mom...

Feb. 3, 2016, 6:03 a.m.

…and probably way more stable.

Germany is poised to make a major scientific breakthrough in the field of nuclear fusion. Its Wendelstein 7-X experimental fusion reactor is about to be injected with hydrogen, where scientists will hope to turn it into a sustained, super-hot plasma.

If successful, it will be a world first, and it can all be streamed live STREAM from 1:45 p.m. GMT (8:45 a.m. EST). Ignition is expected at 2:35 p.m. GMT (9:35 a.m. EST).

The fusion reactor, which aims to replicate the conditions deep inside our Sun, will be switched on by German chancellor Angela Merkel – who herself has a doctorate in physics. Although workable nuclear fusion is likely to be several decades away, this experiment represents a key stepping stone towards this goal. Controlled nuclear fusion – a clean, near-perpetual source of energy – would revolutionize the world.

Fusion is kind of a neat thing, eh?

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Feb. 3, 2016, 7:59 a.m.

;)Did nobody pay attention to the storyline in Halflife? This is how we are going to get headcrabs running around everywhere! ;)

On a more serious note, hopefully they pull it off successfully and send us into a new era of power generation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feb. 3, 2016, 8:10 a.m.

inB4 alien invasion… or nazi zombie hitler returns..

Feb. 3, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

I know this was supposed to be about Nuclear Fusion, but now I have an urge to play through HalfLife and the ensuing episodes.

Feb. 3, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

Half Life 3 was the best of them all IMO. Such story.

viperfunk.com

Feb. 3, 2016, 2:39 p.m.

Half Life 3 was the best of them all IMO. Such story.

hey whats the future like anyways ??

:clap:

Feb. 3, 2016, 2:48 p.m.

Sounds like it went well today? I didn't hear how long the plasma was sustained.
Background article I dug up:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/10/bizarre-reactor-might-save-nuclear-fusion

Feb. 3, 2016, 4:43 p.m.

Thread title of 2016 thus far.

I cant wait to see what "free" energy looks like.

Feb. 3, 2016, 6:51 p.m.

Thread title of 2016 thus far.

I cant wait to see what "free" energy looks like.

Exactly. How can the big corporations make money off of this?

Thread killer

Feb. 3, 2016, 8:12 p.m.

Black Mesa is Half Life with the Source engine.. damn

Feb. 4, 2016, 6:07 a.m.

Well given that fusion requires insanely expensive and complicated equipment it is more of a question of how fusion can compare in cost to renewables coupled with battery/storage tech.
In high density urban areas there should still be a market.

Feb. 4, 2016, 7:09 a.m.

By marketing/selling everyone "Mr-Fusion" devices of course.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feb. 4, 2016, 7:35 a.m.

I'm thinking the big companies would build these instead of dirtynuke reactors/coal powerplants, and still charge uses for the electricity they use.

It would be cleaner, but the end user will still end up paying.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Feb. 4, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

Any nuclear physicist on here?

Thorium? I been watching lots on this, and seems fool proof. Lot of whacko stuff, but Vice did a great piece on it and it sounds amazing, the technology is definitely there.

Feb. 4, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

Not a physicist but yes thorium has a lot of potential, but so does improved reactors using uranium as a fuel source. I can't remember the exact figure, but current reactor tech only utilizes about 5 or 10% of the available energy in the current fuel sources. End result is more waste with extremely long half lifes and the dangers that come along with that, however it's great for enriching for nuclear arms.

Pending a major break through in fusion tech (not the iterative steps we are seeing here) the world would be much better off focusing on smaller scale safer GenIV fission reactors AND RENEWABLES than to hold off on the far off promise of fusion.