Tour of Alberta

July 4, 2012, 6:19 p.m.

Weeklong Canadian UCI stage race to debut in 2013

The six-day Tour of Alberta would likely start in Edmonton, potentially traversing a hilly route through the Canadian Rockies, visiting several national parks, including Banff and Jasper, and end in Calgary,

Great scenery, but not so interesting terrain for racing, I think. I guess they could use some of the ski area access roads (e.g. Marmot) to get some real climbing.

July 4, 2012, 6:51 p.m.

Sounds like some kind of cruel punishment.

Pastor of Muppets

July 5, 2012, 11:27 p.m.

"Former pro Alex Stieda, who in 1986 became the first North American to ever wear the maillot jaune at the Tour de France, is spearheading the event, which is operating on a grant from the Rural Alberta Development Fund (RADF)."

A great fit - when I think of Rural Alberta, the first thing that springs to my mind is spandex and skinny guys on bicycles.

Dec. 17, 2012, 12:19 p.m.

More info here

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/albertas-new-pro-stage-race-to-go-from-edmonton-to-calgary

Dec. 17, 2012, 1:44 p.m.

"Former pro Alex Stieda, who in 1986 became the first North American to ever wear the maillot jaune at the Tour de France, is spearheading the event, which is operating on a grant from the Rural Alberta Development Fund (RADF)."

A great fit - when I think of Rural Alberta, the first thing that springs to my mind is spandex and skinny guys on bicycles.

No kidding, and judging by the reaction you get from the folks out in the valley, they may want to arm the racers!

All kidding aside this is pretty cool. Glad that Canada is getting such a high profile race.

www.steedcycles.com

Dec. 18, 2012, 12:52 p.m.

No kidding, and judging by the reaction you get from the folks out in the valley, they may want to arm the racers!

All kidding aside this is pretty cool. Glad that Canada is getting such a high profile race.

Although it sounds nuts to us BCers to not have this race here, could you imaging the gong show having a UCI race in the Lower Mainland? If the Tour of Alberta goes through the foothills it will be an awesome venue. The roads west of Calgary/west and north of Cochrane beat our conjested mess hands down. Very very light traffic, amazing views, and perfect road surface with good climbs. I remember doing big 4 hour loops in the Turner Valley and seeing maybe 10 cars the whole day. In terms of climbing it's a bit like Beauce (from what I remember-it's been almost 15 years!). The climbs look like nothing from a distance until you hit about half way up them. From 70kph into the climbs to 12kph, in about 10 seconds:| The National parks will have big long climbs, but the Foothills don't typically have much more than 2k climbs at the most….but there are countless options. It should be fun to watch. Maybe a moto trip to spectate!

Dec. 18, 2012, 2:10 p.m.

Although it sounds nuts to us BCers to not have this race here, could you imaging the gong show having a UCI race in the Lower Mainland? If the Tour of Alberta goes through the foothills it will be an awesome venue. The roads west of Calgary/west and north of Cochrane beat our conjested mess hands down. Very very light traffic, amazing views, and perfect road surface with good climbs. I remember doing big 4 hour loops in the Turner Valley and seeing maybe 10 cars the whole day. In terms of climbing it's a bit like Beauce (from what I remember-it's been almost 15 years!). The climbs look like nothing from a distance until you hit about half way up them. From 70kph into the climbs to 12kph, in about 10 seconds:| The National parks will have big long climbs, but the Foothills don't typically have much more than 2k climbs at the most….but there are countless options. It should be fun to watch. Maybe a moto trip to spectate!

Don't get me wrong I think having a race there is an amazing idea! Agreed on the climbs they would be amazing to watch/race. To have a race here would be impossible…

www.steedcycles.com

Dec. 18, 2012, 5:07 p.m.

I hope it is well received though. A buddy and I did have bottle thrown at us outside of Bragg. Mind you I go ran into the ditch in Nanaimo once. Oh rural Canada:)

Aug. 2, 2013, 7:04 a.m.

Race will get coverage on Sportsnet

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=26232

Sept. 4, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

Wow Peter Sagan CRUSHED all in prologue……..

Going to watch this week on sportsnet……pretty cool to see some stars out west……..:canada:

Sept. 4, 2013, 10:15 p.m.

Ryder was a bit embarrassed today. Sat up at what he thought was the finish and then realized he had another lap to go. Another win for Sagan.

Anyone going to see any stages in person?

Sept. 5, 2013, 10:39 p.m.

Racing has been pretty good. The race video coverage has been flaky.

Should get interesting in the mountains.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 9, 2013, 6:43 a.m.

I guess there aren't any mountains in Alberta.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 9, 2013, 7:06 a.m.

There were suppose to be some but the roads got damaged by the flood earlier this year. Maybe next year.

Sept. 9, 2013, 3:50 p.m.

Racing has been pretty good. The race video coverage has been flaky.

Should get interesting in the mountains.

Yeah, the footage last night looked like it was shot with an old camcoder.