rude roadies!!

Sept. 11, 2006, 3:44 p.m.

noting aimed at you specifically kenji, just a rant in general.

Mark, time to check your eyes again (or go back to Reading Comprehension 101). There's a difference between keeping weight "lower on your bike" and making a bike lighter. Nowhere did I mention that the carrier is lighter.

In fact it probably weighs the same as any pack. If I were a weight weenie, I'd forgo the pack entirely and stuff the contents into my rear jersey pocket. And I wouldn't carry half the stuff I do.

Remember, my main road ride was well over 22 lb until a few months ago. Yes, the whole weight thing is overblown, but save it for a different thread. This one is for complaining about "rude roadies," like guys wearing Cinzano jerseys who stick their frame pumps into your wheel.

And read the last quote in my sig, from some nobody called Eddy Merckx.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 11, 2006, 3:52 p.m.

what are you people cyclists or princesses?

I'm actually half cyclist, half princess. It's not a black and white issue!

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

Sept. 11, 2006, 3:52 p.m.

this is what i can never understand about roadies, it's like an extra pound or two is gonna kill your ride. what a joke. if it matters that much just make sure you take a big shit before you go on a ride. this whole weight thing has gotten waaay outta hand, what are you people cyclists or princesses?

noting aimed at you specifically kenji, just a rant in general.

On a general ride, training or group ride, it means nothing to me. I have a tool bag under my seat that's got to weight two to three pounds, two huge water bottles, food, cell phone, rain jacket. And if it's in the winter, training tires and wheels which are easliy two pounds of rotating mass more then my race setup. The weight means nothing to me, but it does change the feel of the bike. Which kinda effects the ride so too speak! Kinda like a poorly tuned fork or rear suspension would too a mountain bike ride. Your still having fun! But the bike doesn't feel right!

But in a race, pounds do make a big difference. Sprints, hills, long miles. The difference is sooo tangeable that it starts to fuck with your mind! You're giving it everything you got, and you can't help but think, "if I had my light wheels on, or If got rid of the four pounds of water bottles, would I be able to bridge the gap to the breakaway". The way you feel on the bike makes a huge difference to your race efforts!

Just my insite to the weight thing.

edit: spelling

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Sept. 11, 2006, 4:16 p.m.

Mark, time to check your eyes again (or go back to Reading Comprehension 101). There's a difference between keeping weight "lower on your bike" and making a bike lighter. Nowhere did I mention that the carrier is lighter.

In fact it probably weighs the same as any pack. If I were a weight weenie, I'd forgo the pack entirely and stuff the contents into my rear jersey pocket. And I wouldn't carry half the stuff I do.

Remember, my main road ride was well over 22 lb until a few months ago. Yes, the whole weight thing is overblown, but save it for a different thread. This one is for complaining about "rude roadies," like guys wearing Cinzano jerseys who stick their frame pumps into your wheel.

And read the last quote in my sig, from some nobody called Eddy Merckx.

is there really a difference? whether it's the weight of the bike or gear you add to the bike, it's all still weight you have to pedal around. i hear guys say they won't bother with a small seat pack and tools because they don't want to carry the extra weight. that's a little ridiculous.

as for reading comprehension, your quote could be interpreted in more than one way as i've mentioned with my opening statement here. i did say this was not a shot at you personally, but from your response it seems you took it that way.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2006, 4:21 p.m.

But in a race, pounds do make a big difference. Sprints, hills, long miles. The difference is sooo tangeable that it starts to fuck with your mind! You're giving it everything you got, and you can't help but think, "if I had my light wheels on, or I got rid of the four pounds of water bottles, would I be able to bridge the gap to the breakaway". The way you feel on the bike makes a huge difference to your race efforts!

Just my insite to the weight thing.

i think that's a mental thing and guys are looking for an excuse because they don't have the jam to push themselves harder.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2006, 4:28 p.m.

i think that's a mental thing and guys are looking for an excuse because they don't have the jam to push themselves harder.

:orly: ……

We'll see if you got the jam next year on the Fromme ripper. Then at the end, when I'm done kicking your ass up and down the hill. I'll ask if you think you could have gone faster, with a lighter bike.

We'll see who can push themselves harder….

:eek:

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Sept. 11, 2006, 4:36 p.m.

as for reading comprehension, your quote could be interpreted in more than one way as i've mentioned with my opening statement here. i did say this was not a shot at you personally, but from your response it seems you took it that way.

Mark, I suppose you could quickly parse it that way, but I never stated that it would lighten my ride.

Quoting someone directly and following that with a comment would be taken by most people as taking a "personal shot." BTW, I'm not offended in any way, because I pretty much agree that the weight emphasis is overblown for non-competitive riders (like me). Again, you'll NEVER hear me complaining about carrying tools and tubes, so you're barking up the wrong tree.

My original comment about lowering the weight distribution on my ride stems from the fact that I do a lot of climbing, a lot of it out of the saddle. I'd much rather swing a bottom heavy bike than a top heavy bike. Does it make a performance difference? Who knows, but it might make the bike "feel" lighter, which matters to me.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 11, 2006, 4:55 p.m.

:orly: ……

We'll see if you got the jam next year on the Fromme ripper. Then at the end, when I'm done kicking your ass up and down the hill. I'll ask if you think you could have gone faster, with a lighter bike.

We'll see who can push themselves harder….

:eek:

:rolleyes:

we're talking about a pound or two here that you would get from carrying a small supply of tools. a full on xc rig that weights 20-30lbs less than a full on dh rig should climb faster. a better comparison would be two identical bikes except one rider has an extra 25lbs strapped to the frame.

besides you can't compare climbing an 8 and 8 travel dh bike to a hardtail with a 3" or 4" travel fork that can probabaly be locked out, no matter what the weight difference is.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2006, 5:03 p.m.

Mark, I suppose you could quickly parse it that way, but I never stated that it would lighten my ride.

Quoting someone directly and following that with a comment would be taken by most people as taking a "personal shot." BTW, I'm not offended in any way, because I pretty much agree that the weight emphasis is overblown for non-competitive riders (like me). Again, you'll NEVER hear me complaining about carrying tools and tubes, so you're barking up the wrong tree.

My original comment about lowering the weight distribution on my ride stems from the fact that I do a lot of climbing, a lot of it out of the saddle. I'd much rather swing a bottom heavy bike than a top heavy bike. Does it make a performance difference? Who knows, but it might make the bike "feel" lighter, which matters to me.

ahahaha, ok now i get it, keep the weight lower, as in "lower on the frame". i just read it the other way, as in less weight. yeah that i will totally agree with cause the extra weight up top would create a pendulum effect and could be totally annoying.

i'm barking up a tree, just pissing on one - lol

Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2006, 5:12 p.m.

:rolleyes:

we're talking about a pound or two here that you would get from carrying a small supply of tools. a full on xc rig that weights 20-30lbs less than a full on dh rig should climb faster. a better comparison would be two identical bikes except one rider has an extra 25lbs strapped to the frame

Chicken… :lol:

Well, you didn't fall for it. And yes I do agree with what you're trying to say. Being a gram counter, is no way too get faster or have a better riding bike.

Getting fit is hard work. As you would know. And it's human nature to find a easier way. Miss guided money spent on trying to get faster, would be better spent on drugs. Just like the pro's do…….

Sept. 11, 2006, 5:23 p.m.

Chicken… :lol:

Well, you didn't fall for it. And yes I do agree with what you're trying to say. Being a gram counter, is no way too get faster or have a better riding bike.

Getting fit is hard work. As you would know. And it's human nature to find a easier way. Miss guided money spent on trying to get faster, would be better spent on drugs. Just like the pro's do…….

hey i'll do the equivalent bike with extra weight thing if you want.

say does the body weight of the rider come into play? cause if i weigh 200lbs and you're say only 160lbs, you've already got a 40lb advantage on me.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2006, 6:25 p.m.

hey i'll do the equivalent bike with extra weight thing if you want.

say does the body weight of the rider come into play? cause if i weigh 200lbs and you're say only 160lbs, you've already got a 40lb advantage on me.

I'm 6'5, and slowly crawling back to 200 pounds. But once I get back on the bike…..

Sept. 11, 2006, 7:05 p.m.

I'm 6'5, and slowly crawling back to 200 pounds. But once I get back on the bike…..

okay, how about bmi then? 200/6'5 vs 200/5'11 still gives you the advantage :D

Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2006, 7:34 p.m.

I think we have completely derailed this thread.

Back on topic. Rude Roadies….

Are they as bad as the losers that yell at noobs on Aline?

Sept. 11, 2006, 8:15 p.m.

Speaking of derailling the thread… Happy Birthday Ninja #2!

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.