rude roadies!!

July 20, 2006, 12:42 p.m.

went for a quick rip in the demo forest and broke my chain 6 km in…of course me thinkin i'm the next in line for the yellow jersey therefore i should have a support vehicle didn't bring any tools(stupid i know)…but i only had one person stop to offer assistance…now when i'm on the trails everybody asks and so do i if theres a rider with mech probs

bad roadie ettiquete(sp)

p.s.= look cleats are a bitch to walk in…had to take the shoes off…it's amazing how clean that road is

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

July 20, 2006, 1:04 p.m.

haha ouch man :( that does suck.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 20, 2006, 2:18 p.m.

NOw up until the STP I would have whole heartedly agreed that roadies are a bunch of snobs… all be it some of them are… but…

Stopping for a roadie is ten times worse than a guy shreadin whistler having to stop for a newer guy/gay that may not know his stuff. Having ridden that far and your whole goal changes from how high can I go to… how far can I go in a short period of time… stopping for them is murder.

While I do not say that it is a right attitude but they look down on the noobs just as much as "we" (I say we collectivily as a "freerider" bunch… not to insult anyone) would and some of us do!

In the end it sucks to get caught in that situation… it happened to me and I blew my right knee out walking the cleats. I learned the hard way to bring a under the seat bag with the nessesary tools to fix anything… if you're MacGyver… that means creating a chain from twigs and a ripped shirt!

Road Rocks! (Never thought I would ever say that!… sssshhhh don't tell my friends!)

www.steedcycles.com

July 20, 2006, 3:09 p.m.

Roadies stop? Good luck!

July 20, 2006, 3:36 p.m.

Dude, I don't carry all the tools to repair a broken chain when I am on the road bike either, Spare tube, CO2 pump, tire irons, allen keys, that's it. I guess it would be nice if they asked, but if they don't have any tools either, how could they help?

PS, all road shoes are a bitch to walk in, because the shoe soles are curved in a way that makes you feel like you are walking on your toes. For future reference, it is probably easier to go bare foot.

July 20, 2006, 4:13 p.m.

Well, If it makes you feel any better I broke a spoke on the Lions Gate Bridge, and had to carry my bike down the causeway, (Road bike) a ton of people stopped and asked if they could help. Both Roadies and Mountain bikers!!! It made me happy, to bad there was nothing anyone could do!

Ps; Riding a packed bus after you've pedaled 3 and half hours, is kinda tough! You stink real bad and there is nothing you can do about. It's the last place I wanted to be, and I'm sure the people around would say the same! Sorry bus riders!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

July 20, 2006, 9:24 p.m.

Been there done that. It is a lot easier to walk in your sock then in cycling shoes BTW.

Now I always carry a cell phone. Have a few of the cab companies programmed into it.

July 20, 2006, 9:56 p.m.

I learned a long time ago that on the road, you're alone. However, yes, there are some very snobby roadies out there that only care if you're going to work with them in the breakaway at the next pro race. Otherwise, you're nothing.

I always have with me:

Phone
Chainbreaker
Allen Keys
Tube and Tire Levers
Rain Jacket for descents, wind, or rain
A powergel or a powerbar just in case

Pack smartly. I actually have smaller versions of my tools with me in my jersey pocket than I do with my Dakine bag so it is possible to have a very light kit with you.

Oh yeah, and if you plan to walk, cleat covers come in handy ;) If you flatted, you might walk on the glass in your socks.

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3
2003 Giant TCR ONCE Team Road Bike

For Sale:

2004 Marzocchi DJII - NEW! PRICE LOWERED!

Tech Geek that likes to Freeride. Visit my stuff at: www.futurelooks.com and for that laptop fetish, www.laptoplifestyle.net.

July 20, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

Ditto. I always carry:

-Multitool w/chain tool
-Spare tube
-2 tire levers
-Couple bucks change
-Cel. phone

If a rider is stopped, mtb'er or roadie, I always ask if they need assistance. Like the mtb'er taking a break on the side of the road today.

Although heavier, one option is to use MTB shoes if you dislike sliding around.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 20, 2006, 10:23 p.m.

i did the sock walk back…but next time out a multi tool for sure

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

July 20, 2006, 10:24 p.m.

i carry ONLY allen keys.. and I ride with answer impacts so its easy to walk in :)

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 20, 2006, 10:39 p.m.

Tube, pump and levers over a set of allen keys any day ;)

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3
2003 Giant TCR ONCE Team Road Bike

For Sale:

2004 Marzocchi DJII - NEW! PRICE LOWERED!

Tech Geek that likes to Freeride. Visit my stuff at: www.futurelooks.com and for that laptop fetish, www.laptoplifestyle.net.

July 21, 2006, 2:44 p.m.

god where do you guys put all this stuff?

I don't ride with anything except a cell- isn't that terrible? i rely on the fact that someone somewhere will come get me if something happens.

oh yeah and I'm a girl and am pretty useless at bike maintenence….shameful i know, i know.

July 21, 2006, 3:27 p.m.

god where do you guys put all this stuff?

Saddle bag. I like the one from Axiom/Norco-nice design, good attachment, durable, expands, yet doesn't look bulky. Larger than the Pedro's saddle bags but holds up much better. (I'll never buy a Pedro's saddle bag again, the strap system is terrible and the stitching comes apart.)

Other than arm warmers, I hate carrying stuff in the rear pocket of my jersey.

The Crank Bros. multi-tools are also really compact. There are also water bottle storage containers, though I've never used one. I tried making a ghetto one and found that the shape wasn't conducive for what I wanted to carry.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 21, 2006, 4:23 p.m.

Ditto. I always carry:

-Multitool w/chain tool
-Spare tube
-2 tire levers
-Couple bucks change
-Cel. phone

If a rider is stopped, mtb'er or roadie, I always ask if they need assistance. Like the mtb'er taking a break on the side of the road today.

Although heavier, one option is to use MTB shoes if you dislike sliding around.

The tube is useless with out a pump unless you have huge lung power and a nibble tounge to activate the valve:crazy:

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein