Maui in March '15

Dec. 16, 2014, 2:08 p.m.

Headed to Maui in a few months and going to get in at least one 3-5 hour ride.
Plan to do the west Maui loop and maybe climb Haleakala. Any other recommendations?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Dec. 16, 2014, 5:47 p.m.

The road to Hana is my favorite. Check out the Facebook Maui Cycling group rides.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dec. 16, 2014, 5:54 p.m.

I've been twice with bikes to Maui, I'd take the West Maui loop over Haleakala anytime. Watch out for the trade winds, you don't want to be fighting them the whole way around the loop. That's a long painful ride.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 17, 2014, 8:46 p.m.

Many great rides there. West Maui is awesome, but there may be road construction during the week. Check before you ride or else you might find you are tacking on an extra 80km. The road to Hana is a wicked, best to start early before traffic hits it. Lots of great roads around the base of Haleakala, you can loops them together to get a good ride. Although take the word "base" with a grain in salt. By base I mean only an hour and half of climbing.

Dec. 17, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

West Maui Loop is the best road ride I've been on. The road is closed west of Kahakuloa Monday thru Friday for road construction. Stop in for Shaved Ice with Lorraine, she's a hoot! The Road to Hana is just hammered with cars so I'd pass on it. Quite unpleasant to drive there as well. There are very few cars on the West Maui Loop. Haleakala is something you only have to do once. Climb for 36 miles 10023'. You don't coast at all on the way up. It's like riding an exercise bike all day. Do it, you'll never forget it. Good bike shops in Lahaina and Paia.

Dec. 17, 2014, 10:23 p.m.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/1923423#interval?interval=201401[HTML_REMOVED]interval_type=month[HTML_REMOVED]chart_type=miles[HTML_REMOVED]year_offset=0

I did some rides in Maui in 2014. Let me know if I can offer any info beyond the stats from my strava log.

Dec. 18, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

Should add the Ulupalakua ride upcountry, it's an out and back from Kula towards Kaupo with great views and light traffic. I prefer to do the West Maui as an out and back as I enjoy the riding on the "back side" more than the "front side". Hana ride on Sundays leaves super early to avoid traffic. It's never really bothered me since bikes are faster than cars on that road.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dec. 19, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

Thanks folks! Looking forward to the loop and maybe Ulupalakua ride upcountry too.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Dec. 20, 2014, 11:24 a.m.

West Maui Loop is the best road ride I've been on. The road is closed west of Kahakuloa Monday thru Friday for road construction. Stop in for Shaved Ice with Lorraine, she's a hoot! The Road to Hana is just hammered with cars so I'd pass on it. Quite unpleasant to drive there as well. There are very few cars on the West Maui Loop. Haleakala is something you only have to do once. Climb for 36 miles 10023'. You don't coast at all on the way up. It's like riding an exercise bike all day. Do it, you'll never forget it. Good bike shops in Lahaina and Paia.

Plus one for Lorraine's. Julia's Banana Bread is indeed among the best I've had, and worth the hype (remember to pet the dog!). Lorraine (follow the coloured curbs, just south of Julia's) is a real gem. She made us on-the-spot banana bread ice-cream sandwiches, and gave us a real nice tour of her little banana farm. Maybe one of the sweetest moments I've had in my trips to Maui.

Dec. 20, 2014, 5:07 p.m.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/1923423#interval?interval=201401[HTML_REMOVED]interval_type=month[HTML_REMOVED]chart_type=miles[HTML_REMOVED]year_offset=0

I did some rides in Maui in 2014. Let me know if I can offer any info beyond the stats from my strava log.

Quoting as Matt's post was sitting in the mod queue.