Freewheel explosion

May 29, 2006, 11:35 p.m.

I ride a Schwinn Letour from probably around the mid eighties. Its a great ride and fits me great which is rare at my six foot four. And it was a killer deal at fifteen bucks.

Anyway, on my last ride the freewheel(I think thats what its called) came loose and fell more or less off spilling bearing balls onto the road. This was bad news to me as I'm super strapped for cash.

Can anyone tell me the following things: 1. Does anyone make a replacement freewheel? 2. Does anyone still make rims in the outdated non standard size that my wheel is in? 3. Am I totally screwed?

Thanks for the help.

www.vitalmtb.com

May 30, 2006, 12:09 a.m.

Can anyone tell me the following things: 1. Does anyone make a replacement freewheel? 2. Does anyone still make rims in the outdated non standard size that my wheel is in?

Yes, they still make replacement freewheels. (See Nashbar.) Yes, they still make 27-inch rims, although I have no idea of the quality.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=113[HTML_REMOVED]subcategory=1128[HTML_REMOVED]brand=[HTML_REMOVED]sku=9654[HTML_REMOVED]storetype=[HTML_REMOVED]estoreid=[HTML_REMOVED]pagename=

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 30, 2006, 11:59 a.m.

I believe MEC has some 5 or 6 speed freewheels in their glass case at the broadway store. $22?

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

May 30, 2006, 12:27 p.m.

I believe MEC has some 5 or 6 speed freewheels in their glass case at the broadway store. $22?

^^^I think he's in Argentina, though. I would go with Nashbar, they've always done a good job of shipping for me.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 30, 2006, 3:57 p.m.

eBay is also a decent source for vintage road gear. People often have 5-7spd NOS freewheels for sale.

BTW, you can also rebuild them. It's messy, but I've done it twice before on my old 6spd racer. Definitely not recommeded, but if you have no other choice…

May 30, 2006, 4:15 p.m.

eBay is also a decent source for vintage road gear. People often have 5-7spd NOS freewheels for sale.

Agreed, just watch out for that shipping. It's customary on Ebay to make up for small ticket items with inflated shipping costs, particularly on international shipping.

May 30, 2006, 11:14 p.m.

What is with my bikes falling apart lately? I went for a mountain ride this evening and my left crank fell of my Bullit. Right when I had to climb all the way back up too.

Thanks for all the great info and advice/wisdom guys. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I think it will begin with a trip to my mechanic and may end with a new wheel or just a fixed freewheel thing.

Oh, and great find on the 27 inch rims. For ten bucks each I might pick some up for the 'just in case' factor.

www.vitalmtb.com