bike suggestions?

June 9, 2008, 11:23 a.m.

lol…no offense taken! It is very hard for a small girl to find a small bike that's small enough!

I can imagine, good to hear that you were still able to find a bike that sounds to be perfect for you!

…. Once you get used to not being able to put a foot down, more bikes become options, like a SX Trail, Demo7 and Demo8 etc.

Yikes, I can't imagine ever being comfortable with not being able to put a foot down…

My experience with XS bikes is that the toptube is too short with no increased standover clearance from the Smalls. I guess it all depends on whether the 5'2" is more in the legs or more in the upper body.

I hadn't even thought of that, though it would make sense on many full suspension bikes as they can only go so low before being limited by the suspension layout. Good point!

22 Pride

June 9, 2008, 12:02 p.m.

What exactly do you guys mean by "being able to put a foot down"?

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

June 9, 2008, 1:32 p.m.

What exactly do you guys mean by "being able to put a foot down"?

Watch Denise next time you ride with her. Both feet can't touchthe ground when she stops her bike. Only one at a time. Its not too bad with the seat down but raise it an inch and its a bit tricky on both bikes.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

June 9, 2008, 2:04 p.m.

Watch Denise next time you ride with her. Both feet can't touchthe ground when she stops her bike. Only one at a time. Its not too bad with the seat down but raise it an inch and its a bit tricky on both bikes.

same here, i can only touch both feet to the ground when the suspension is compressed. if i have the seat raised at all (even 2") for climbing and i fall off and have to get back on the bike it's tricky - and i'm 5'5"

June 9, 2008, 2:54 p.m.

That's what I thought you meant.

I haven't been able to put my feet on the ground while sitting, or just coming to a stop, on my last bike (of 5 years) or my new bike* and it's never been an issue for me. I guess it's whatever you're used to. I don't feel at a disadvantage not being able to put both my feet down when I need to stop suddenly. It's never caused me problems before. And I stop suddenly a lot! :P

EDIT: Because the whole putting a foot down was not an issue on my last bike, when it came time to cut the seat post on my new bike, I deliberately left it a bit longer. I have never been comfortable with my seat slammed completely down when going downhill anyway so this way it's nicer for those odd times when I have to pedal up here and there on some trails if I have to sit down for any reason.

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

June 9, 2008, 3:10 p.m.

That's what I thought you meant.

I haven't been able to put my feet on the ground while sitting, or just coming to a stop, on my last bike (of 5 years) or my new bike* and it's never been an issue for me. I guess it's whatever you're used to. I don't feel at a disadvantage not being able to put both my feet down when I need to stop suddenly. It's never caused me problems before. And I stop suddenly a lot! :P

EDIT: Because the whole putting a foot down was not an issue on my last bike, when it came time to cut the seat post on my new bike, I deliberately left it a bit longer. I have never been comfortable with my seat slammed completely down when going downhill anyway so this way it's nicer for those odd times when I have to pedal up here and there on some trails if I have to sit down for any reason.

I'm not talking about putting two feet down!! - just one without the toptube jamming into me! With a 27" inseam, one learns to adapt!

June 9, 2008, 3:12 p.m.

I'm not talking about putting two feet down!! - just one without the toptube jamming into me! With a 27" inseam, one learns to adapt!

i'm trying to perfect the "west coast dismount" :P

June 9, 2008, 8:02 p.m.

the top tube on the Norco slopes downward so I can stand with both feet on the ground no worries in front of the seat - not while on the seat- same with the specialized - I couldn't do that with my kona at all…

sweeeeeet

June 10, 2008, 1:07 p.m.

Hey, thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions!

We have a lot of bikes to check out.

One other frame we saw that looked pretty good was the Knolly Endorphin. Does anyone have any experience with this frame?

Thanks again… the journey continues…..

Click Me

June 10, 2008, 1:36 p.m.

I'm not a girl, but my wife is and she has been looking for a bike too. She has demoed the syren and a number of others. Syren is her pick for sure, based on standover (she is 5'-4" with a long torso) and on the fact that the bike is 'freeride' burly without being toooooo heavy.

The endorphin is, imho a different class of bike when compared with the syren. It is WAY more expensive and also less burly. Looks more all mountainish to me. I love the other knolly bikes (would prolly buy a free radical if one ever got produced, lol) but honestly, the endorphin's little stubby tube for the front derailleur turns me off. Looks like an afterthought. That's just me tho.

June 10, 2008, 3:50 p.m.

Belinda is looking for a more "all mountainish" bike, she like the Syren but didn't like the build weight.

I think the knolly bikes are pretty well thought out so I doubt the front d tube is an afterthought. They probably did it that way so they could get all the other benefits of the geometry and still have a front d.

But to each their own

Click Me

June 10, 2008, 4:40 p.m.

I've got a Knolly V-tach (in XS, I'm 5'2" with short legs, sorry don't know inseam). Hubby has an endorphin in small, but I haven't taken it out myself. While the small would be too big for me if I were buying it for myself, I know I'd be fine riding it on most trails.

I also think the Endorphin can handle quite a bit, as I've seen hubby take it beyond the "normal" classification of "all-mountain". He's got a relatively beefy build on it, but certainly could be built up lighter. If something lighter than the Syren is what you're looking for, the Endorphin could definitely be an option for you.

Good luck in the search!

June 15, 2008, 10:38 p.m.

One other frame we saw that looked pretty good was the Knolly Endorphin. Does anyone have any experience with this frame?

Kendo is another guy that rides one, check with him.

July 1, 2008, 7:24 p.m.

A little clarification on the Knolly usage limits:

V-Tach (that's Barb. She's 5'1")

Delerium

I don't have an Edorphin, but I wouuld guess that it wouuld be something along the lines of:

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

July 2, 2008, 9:59 a.m.

Nice pics!

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training