Hey NSMB Martial Artists

March 6, 2014, 10:23 p.m.

Yes.Franco - Gibson. Thats it. Good coaches there still from the time i went.

WTF, Over?

March 7, 2014, 1:42 a.m.

Hapkido, aikido, Japanese ju jutsu, krav maga, and to a lesser extent judo all share a pretty similar 'ancestor' art, so there will be similarities in techniques. They have all added various things, and removed others to become distinct, but you can definitely see common themes when watching videos.

I would say that aikido is not a good martial art to start with to learn how to fight. The techniques take a lot of practice to get proficient at. However, it does teach you valuable skills on a much more basic level that would help anyone in a confrontation - timing, reading intent from body language, how to keep space between you and the attacker (and the importance of the correct spacing).

Outside that, it's a good bit of fun. You always practice with a partner, and can practice with several different people throughout the class. This means you get thrown as much as you throw others (or apply joint locks, or whatever). You learn to fall safely, which can be helpful outside the dojo as well. It's non-confrontational/non-competitive, so a strong comradery forms and everyone tries to help each other.

1. The schools you mention share more or less the same patterns considering the stance, the Japanese systems all were based on the Koryu/bugei arts, i.e. the battlefield stuff that meant learning basic techniques to make the combatants more effective and likely to survive.
This translated to a stance on the line which eventually changed the moment when people had to fight empty-handed, you can see this in Judo's basic kamae, you keep your opponent from being able to draw his sword if you had one on the hip.

Where the systems differ is the origination of where the power and initial movement comes from. Systems that rely on strength have a different way of applying blocks, kicks, strikes/punches and throws than those who rely on fundamentay body mechanics.

2. Dave Lowry writes in one of his brilliant essay books about how a kenjutsu master once wanted to take some time practising a drill with an advanced student. The student, all giddy, expected something secret and brilliant. The old master simply wanted to work on his thrusting, stating that he still wasn't good at it.

Translation: Whatever you learn, do not rush through the techniques, but focus on the beginner's stuff, the stance, the footwork, how your body has to be positioned, how your legs drive the punch, how your angle changed. And work, work some more and some more. You are not getting good in a year, not even in ten.

A basic understanding may come after the 10,000 repetition. And always consider your opponent better trained than you are. This keeps you from getting a surprise. And a surprise on the streets may be a messy and ugly one.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 11, 2014, 11:39 a.m.

I am biased but I have to say go with Francos. The first and still best mma (pankration) gym in vancouver(chris and lance opened it originally waaay back).

One monthly rate gives you access to all classes (Kick box, bjj, catch wrestling etc etc). The people are all good peeps. Even the guys in the intermediate/advance 'fighting' classes are supportive and encouraging. A real team/family environment.

Now for my overly opinionated asshole comment….. Don't do regular karate. It's lame. Seriously. Lame

March 11, 2014, 12:39 p.m.

Now for my overly opinionated asshole comment….. Don't do regular karate. It's lame. Seriously. Lame

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but do you care to elaborate on why you think it's lame?

Ride, don't slide.

March 12, 2014, 10:25 p.m.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but do you care to elaborate on why you think it's lame?

i guess i could have used a better word than 'lame', thats disrespectful. i take it back.

i would suggest against an old school, singular karate or a judo or a etc etc program because a good mma program will cover the primary techniques of each. hence the name Mixed Martial Arts. plus its more real world applicable as far as self defense goes. not to mention the fitness levels

March 12, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

i guess i could have used a better word than 'lame', thats disrespectful. i take it back.

i would suggest against an old school, singular karate or a judo or a etc etc program because a good mma program will cover the primary techniques of each. hence the name Mixed Martial Arts. plus its more real world applicable as far as self defense goes. not to mention the fitness levels

Im glad you sorted out that JJ. Classy. In a an approach that you may have not been familiar with though, i can speak of athletes that have exclusively trained in a trad MA, like judo. You could replace this with wrestling if you like.Or Karate. Some times the pure hierarchy of the competitive structure can produce exceptional martial artists. Who in the transition to another sport, or MMA can fast become great.
The OP, may just be wanting to dabble. Or immerse in a MA. I wont discourage any one from giving another method a go.
You are at a serious advantage if you got the grasp of MMA. Appreciation of the technique and conditioning to hang in a class and learn…even survive. Good on ya.
I think some great info has been provided here. I hope the OP has some tools to pull the trigger and try a class or two. Then take it from there.

WTF, Over?

March 13, 2014, 11:32 a.m.

Thanks, that's an awesome explanation. I agree that MMA seems to be a bit more real world applicable that certain traditional martial arts.

Ride, don't slide.

March 14, 2014, 6:41 a.m.

I think a generalisation is not that easy, since it always depends on the person training.

A seriously fit Karateka can still kick ass. There is not that one system that is truly awesome and better than the rest.

- Kristen Ulmer

March 14, 2014, 9:37 a.m.

I think a generalisation is not that easy, since it always depends on the person training.

A seriously fit Karateka can still kick ass. There is not that one system that is truly awesome and better than the rest.

there is no one perfect system , just ones that have more adaptation too defending other systems .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 14, 2014, 12:44 p.m.

I did Shorinji Kempo for a few years. Teaches you both striking and Aikido throws/locks. SK is closely connected to the honbu in Japan, so I like that it is true to its principles and practices ("traditional" in a way).

Some very good people involved in the Vancouver SK dojos.

Edited to add: Go observe a few classes. I personally think they teach a lot of useful stuff, especially locks/pins.

Surprised to see somebody else on here that did shorinji kempo, I've never even met anybody else that has ever heard of it. I first saw it during a high school exchange with Japan way back in the '80's and thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen, seeming to blend every martial art I'd heard of at the time, with throws and holds mixed seamlessly with punch/kick/blocking.

I practiced on and off throughout the 90's, and still periodically think about going back to it. Very traditional yet extremely useful skills being taught. The dojo in Coquitlam that I practiced at most recently was downstairs in the temple just off Brunette, which was awesome (if you care about tradition and principle) - feels like walking back in time, shoes off at the door, incense in the air.

If you are just looking to learn how to fight, probably not your thing, but if you are looking for the full tradition of martial arts (i.e. self improvement, both mind and body) AND a good system of self defense, then definitely check it out.

March 14, 2014, 4:50 p.m.

there is no one perfect system , just ones that have more adaptation too defending other systems .

Yep, but what most people forget is that a lot of the current "old-school" martial arts were developed at a time when people did fall on the ground, too.

Meaning that a lot of the applicability of most old martial arts has been lost due to factors such as petty politics within a system, the inability of any given proper teacher to prepare students for different attacks or replies, or simply laziness.

There have been people falling to the ground, wrestling and grappling 500 years ago, too. The question is different.

A battlefield in ancient Greece, China or during the Sengoku Jidai in Japan's "Middle Ages" before the long-lasting peace would have looked amazingly similar - cut people down, if not able to do so, grapple them, fight them with smaller weapons suitable fot close-quarters and finish them on the ground.

Funny thing is….in most so-called ko-ryu of Japan, for example, hand-to-hand combat was deemed the most difficult, after having mastered long staff, sword and short sword.

What is even more interesting are martial "artists" who think they have new answers to problems who have been around for hundreds, if not thousands of years, actually.

An artists in the martial ways for me would be someone along the lines of Picasso, Renoir, da Vinci, Cezanne, Giacommetti, Beuys and the like - creating someghing entirely new and unique such as the Gracie clan.

Most trainers I have met in the last thirty years were not. Exceptions do apply tho.

- Kristen Ulmer