5 weeks

Dec. 19, 2013, 1:13 a.m.

Hey all,

Random question I have. How much can one transform their body in 5 weeks?

In 5 weeks I have something important and want to look fit. is it possible in 5 weeks to go from soft to fit?

I think it is, but I have no idea what to expect from my workouts as far as results.

Dec. 19, 2013, 11:24 a.m.

Eat well, sleep well, exercise regularly, and drink lots of water. However, your question is somewhat rhetorical. Of course you can make big changes in that amount of time, but exactly where you'll get is dependent on a lot of factors.

flickr

Dec. 19, 2013, 11:42 a.m.

it really depends on three things:

1. where you're at
2. how much change you want make
3. and most importanly, how hard you're willing to work

you could go from soft to fit in 5wks, but to be honest you probably won't do it on your own.
most people can't do it on their own b/c it involves radical change, and they simply don't want it bad enough.
having someone to push you will make a big difference, so maybe consider hiring a trainer.
if you do, they should be able to give you a solid idea of what you're going to do off the top of their head.
then they should then put together a comprehensive plan for you that will detail what you'll be doing.

and it won't be cheap, expect to meet with your trainer at least 3x/wk.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2013, 11:59 a.m.

can I add one inch to my penis size in 5 weeks?

i did get some email that said i could

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:03 p.m.

i got the same email..its been 10 wks…nuthn..:(

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:24 p.m.

Personal trainers will sell you an expensive program, but you probably wont see much change in 5 weeks. I've talked to few trainers and while my fitness increased, my body didn't change.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:35 p.m.

Personal trainers will sell you an expensive program, but you probably wont see much change in 5 weeks. I've talked to few trainers and while my fitness increased, my body didn't change.

there are good and not so good trainers out there but it is possible to make significant changes in 5wks. the catch is that you have to take yourself far out of your comfort zone. depending where you're at, increasing your fitness can be realtively easy. the big factor though is going to be diet, and control of that ultimately comes down to the idividual.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:43 p.m.

I would be interested in knowing how many people actually make significant changes in their bodies over 5 weeks, after seeing a trainer.
I am very skeptical because the many years I went to gym, I didn't see anyone loose a significant amount of weight, even with a personal trainer/diet program.

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

Often this is because it takes a few weeks to ramp up a person's metabolism plus at that point the subcutaneous fat begins to convert to muscle. There's a period where visually the person looks the same and maybe even weighs more before that happy day when the fat goes away to the point where you can finally see the shape of the muscle underneath. Just gotta get over that hurdle.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:51 p.m.

Metabolism doesn't actually increase significantly enough to make a difference to calories burned. The amount of muscle that a human can put on only adds up to a few calories a day. That's not enough to make that much difference.

Often this is because it takes a few weeks to ramp up a person's metabolism plus at that point the subcutaneous fat begins to convert to muscle. There's a period where visually the person looks the same and maybe even weighs more before that happy day when the fat goes away to the point where you can finally see the shape of the muscle underneath. Just gotta get over that hurdle.

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:57 p.m.

you can ramp up your metabolism in 10min.
fat does not covert to muscle.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2013, 12:58 p.m.

Metabolism doesn't actually increase significantly enough to make a difference to calories burned. The amount of muscle that a human can put on only adds up to a few calories a day. That's not enough to make that much difference.

I guess I'm thinking 'metabolism' in an anecdotal subjective sense. i.e. if I don't work out for, say, a month. It takes a while for my system to really get revved up again. Maybe 5-6 workouts later it feels like my metabolism is up, I'm burning more fuel, my digestion is better, I'm sleeping better, have more energy, workouts feel awesome not torturous, etc. That's the physiological experience I mean. When I get into this place my fat comes off fast and it becomes difficult to eat enough to replenish after my workouts (i.e. glycogen and muscle rebuilding).

And the longer someone's gone without being in this place the harder it is to get there and the longer it takes.

Dec. 19, 2013, 1 p.m.

I would be interested in knowing how many people actually make significant changes in their bodies over 5 weeks, after seeing a trainer.
I am very skeptical because the many years I went to gym, I didn't see anyone loose a significant amount of weight, even with a personal trainer/diet program.

i'd say very few. results really come down to the individual and how hard they're willing to work and how consistent they are with that work.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2013, 1:15 p.m.

Yes, I get that fat doesn't convert to muscle. You metabolize the fat and eventually you build more muscle.

Dec. 19, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

I'm guessing that if you followed one of these programs for 5 weeks you would likely see a significant change in your body:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recruit_training

That said these are full time.